Is my dealer offering a realistic value?

All your ordering information here!
cat5326

Post by cat5326 »

Good on you Steve,
You clearly have a better technique than I and are a much nicer person. This is not a dig at Swindon, just stating facts of how my first Porsche experience was. It is strange really, but I recall we went to Swindon on the Friday in 2017 to do the final calculations. Said we would think about it over the weekend and confirmed we would be in touch on Monday at 9.00am. We arrived at 8.50 and the salesman never turned up! Apparently, a late hospital appointment!. By 9.40, we gave up - drove to Reading - Completed the deal.
I am just very surprised at how sales can treat people so poorly.
I think it is because I didn't order posh wheels, a pano roof and 15k of extras - (ha ha)

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I too dealt with Jordan at Swindon OPC for my first new Porsche purchase. He was a pleasure to deal with, even replying to emails in the evenings and at weekends.

There is a certain amount of ‘luck of the draw’ as sales people vary, even in the ‘best’ OPCs.

Trading in at the OPC is often the quick & easy option. If we are not happy with their offer, we can always try other routes, even if they take a bit more effort on our part.

I do ‘get’ that each OPC needs to turn a profit. When I think of how much (millions) it must cost to build a shiny new OPC, and the army of staff they need to pay, I can appreciate that they must need to make say £5k to £10k profit on each used car they take in and sell on...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

I've also had no issues with Swindon - firstly with Jon (who is now back after his serious health issues...) and now Alex. I think Jordan is now the business manager? The investment in the rapid charges is a very chunky sum too...
I've just part-ex my Cayenne E-Hybrid for a Taycan CT and they're selling it for slightly more than I paid a year ago - second hand values seem quite strong.
Macan
Taycan Turbo
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

neilj007 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:32 am I've also had no issues with Swindon - firstly with Jon (who is now back after his serious health issues...) and now Alex. I think Jordan is now the business manager? The investment in the rapid charges is a very chunky sum too...
I've just part-ex my Cayenne E-Hybrid for a Taycan CT and they're selling it for slightly more than I paid a year ago - second hand values seem quite strong.
Congratulations on your Taycan. :) Perhaps you can share some photos of it. Also you will need to update your signature car list! ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Have to agree re Swindon, well over a decade of buying and selling through them, had dealings with a number of their team in all departments and have only good experiences to date. Although it’s true that you’ll take a big hit when you trade in with any OPC, I would expect to see between £7/10k mark up but that’s not necessarily the final sold price or their profit on the transaction. You make your choice there are a lot of routes you can take if you so wish.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Anothertoy

Post by Anothertoy »

It’s an amazing looking car and well cared for. I like how the back seats have only been used 4 times in 3 years! One of the issues which you should think about when you buy your next Porsche are the must have options to aid resaleability in the future. You had many options which I would have liked (tow bar and adaptive cruise) but some will not need them. The Opc and any dealer will want cars which can shift quickly so having the right options matter to them. Most Porsche buyers go for the look more than practicality so minimum 20 in wheels although the car rides better with 19 in. The Opc needs to bring the cars to “like new” so they will repair every chip and scratch. I think it is unnecessary since I know that when I park it on the street I will eventually get a scratch even though it’s not my fault. So like it or not they will correct every flaw even though it’s overkill. The flip side is that a buyer buys from the Opc with total peace of mind and has effectively paid about 2-5k more than private hence when we do our man maths, we think about our initial purchase price and compare it to the Opc for sale prices and take the difference and see that as depreciation but that hides the mark up. Obviously the Opc can initially advertise the car beyond the 5k they bought the car from you hoping that they find someone who loves the spec and is willing to pay above the odds. But you can see that they have more of a chance of doing that if they have a spec that everyone wants. Like a previous post, min 20in wheels, pano, Bose, heated seats, reversing camera are must haves on these cars. When these are on, then you can extract maximum resale value since more people are naturally interested. Make sure you consider options that can’t be retrofitted too. Wheels are easily sorted in that regard as you can pay 1.5k for a second hand set. Pano you can’t. Another one are roof rails. Cheap to spec when new but impossible to retrofit.
(Current) 2018 Macan Turbo
(Current) 2010 997.2 C2S manual
(Prev) 2005 987 Boxster S
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

A £10k difference in price between private sale and dealer trade in value on a 2017 Diesel S is insane. Id be feeling smug but also shafted!
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Anothertoy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:31 am It’s an amazing looking car and well cared for. I like how the back seats have only been used 4 times in 3 years! One of the issues which you should think about when you buy your next Porsche are the must have options to aid resaleability in the future. You had many options which I would have liked (tow bar and adaptive cruise) but some will not need them. The Opc and any dealer will want cars which can shift quickly so having the right options matter to them. Most Porsche buyers go for the look more than practicality so minimum 20 in wheels although the car rides better with 19 in. The Opc needs to bring the cars to “like new” so they will repair every chip and scratch. I think it is unnecessary since I know that when I park it on the street I will eventually get a scratch even though it’s not my fault. So like it or not they will correct every flaw even though it’s overkill. The flip side is that a buyer buys from the Opc with total peace of mind and has effectively paid about 2-5k more than private hence when we do our man maths, we think about our initial purchase price and compare it to the Opc for sale prices and take the difference and see that as depreciation but that hides the mark up. Obviously the Opc can initially advertise the car beyond the 5k they bought the car from you hoping that they find someone who loves the spec and is willing to pay above the odds. But you can see that they have more of a chance of doing that if they have a spec that everyone wants. Like a previous post, min 20in wheels, pano, Bose, heated seats, reversing camera are must haves on these cars. When these are on, then you can extract maximum resale value since more people are naturally interested. Make sure you consider options that can’t be retrofitted too. Wheels are easily sorted in that regard as you can pay 1.5k for a second hand set. Pano you can’t. Another one are roof rails. Cheap to spec when new but impossible to retrofit.
Agee with that though I don't see optioning BOSE as necessary.
Not something I see as a must as I've never been particularly impressed with it.
cat5326

Post by cat5326 »

This is great insight into peoples thoughts.
Just to really make heads spin. I chose the spec to suit me and never thought too much about what others may desire. One man's pano roof is another man's air con and so on. I guess proof is in the sale.
A lovely guy bought it who didn't want low profile tyres with 21 inch uncomfortable, 'Oh! watch the kerb' wheels and lots of other toys he thought were silly, like roof rails. He said, 'what good are they'
So, I have learnt a great deal. No matter what spec you have, you will never please everyone, enjoy your choice and if it is nice, clean and well looked after - OPC does not give a darn but you will will never have a problem selling it private. You only need one buyer.
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

cat5326 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:58 pm This is great insight into peoples thoughts.
Just to really make heads spin. I chose the spec to suit me and never thought too much about what others may desire. One man's pano roof is another man's air con and so on. I guess proof is in the sale.
A lovely guy bought it who didn't want low profile tyres with 21 inch uncomfortable, 'Oh! watch the kerb' wheels and lots of other toys he thought were silly, like roof rails. He said, 'what good are they'
So, I have learnt a great deal. No matter what spec you have, you will never please everyone, enjoy your choice and if it is nice, clean and well looked after - OPC does not give a darn but you will will never have a problem selling it private. You only need one buyer.
This is one of the most sensible posts that I've read on this forum.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5