2nd GTS now ordered!

All your ordering information here!
Shivan

Post by Shivan »

Shamefully, I haven't been an active member of the forum for the last couple of years as I've not really been considering a new Macan... until recently! I'd bought the extra two years' warranty and was planning to only change my car in just over a year's time. I've absolutely loved my GTS. And still do. My 'write up' from a few months ownership remains valid (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3528&start=20) and if I'd ordered those extra couple of options (mainly the panoramic roof and the Sports Chrono Pack), I'd almost certainly not even be thinking about changing yet.

Anyway, I've recently just put down the deposit for a new GTS. My likely spec is something like this: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMMVAH35. I've always been keen on moving to an electric car for environmental reasons but have decided that I've got one more (noisy :lol: ) car in me before I go electric and as such, I don't want to find myself skimping options (within reason) this time. We're all individuals with different priorities which is why the option list is lots of fun(!), and there are some things that are 'must haves' for me with others that are 'mustn't haves'! And then there's the grey area in the middle where I'm trying to work out whether I'd actually spec it in the end or not. That's where I'd love to get any views that anyone wants to share!

My must haves are: pano roof, roof rails, air (it's brilliant!), sports chrono, PS+, 75l, dimming mirrors, speed limit indicator (also missed that last time and it was a mistake), 14 way seats (appreciate opinion divided on this, but after having decided on the 18-ways on the test GTS, I immediately switched back to my comfy 14 ways when getting out as I found getting out difficult over the bolster!), 20" Spyders (I love the 21" simple 5 spoke black wheels, but I can't justify them as I've also loved my current 20" Spyders), BOSE. But then the areas I'm not so sure on and would love any comments are:

- Colour. Obviously a personal choice but I'd initially wanted a change and thought the Dolomite Silver with lots of black accents (such as the handles) was the way forward. I love it, but I've realised that having mentally refused to pay for the lovely Crayon (I appreciate that divides opinion as well!), it came down to the Night Blue, Silver or Volcano Grey. And right now, I'm happy to be boring and keep the same Volcano Grey - as I said, I still love my current VG GTS! I think I'd go Night Blue potentially, except there seem to be very few of them around and therefore I haven't been able to see a GTS and how it looks with the black wheels, black accents etc. Also extends to this time having the sideblades in body colour rather than black and possibly having the model designation in silver or red assuming it's a mistake on the configurator which currently doesn't allow this (but should, I'm informed).

- Adaptive Cruise Control. It's expensive and I'm not sure how good it is or whether I really need it (much like reversing cameras etc which for me, I don't consider necessary). The problem is that ACC seems to bring with it all the basic safety equipment that comes as standard on most other cars such as emergency brake assist etc. I've researched this a lot and it doesn't seem to be a mistake - you have to spend nearly £900 on ACC to get these safety features. Mind you, I've lived without them for 4 years; perhaps they're not essential!

- Heated Windscreen. Again, lots of different opinions on this and having had a Focus C-Max about 10 years ago with this built in, it's difficult to understand how it isn't standard on all cars today - it was amazing. But I accept that for some, they may get put off by the lines in the windscreen. As far as I can tell, Porsche has implemented it with transparent silver running across the windscreen (sounds like marketing speak to me!), to have an effect that's perhaps considerably less than the Ford system, and even possibly reducing mobile reception in the car, I've read. I'd really like this option, but I'd love to know more about people's informed views on it.

- GT sports steering wheel. I've added this to the spec now as I want one cos it must be better! But is it really for those that have used both? I love my current wheel and am not sure why I'm now drawn to this option, but for now, it stays!

- Black / Carmine Red GTS extended leather interior. I didn't come from a leather clad car before and therefore went with the basic 'free' leather that came with the original GTS. It's great. But I'm drawn to the red revs dial (which I've got, but in a deeper red today), red belts and red stitching. Feels like a huge amount of money £2,700) for leather in a few more places and some contrast stitching, but a) I want full luxury this time and b) it seems that those who have specced this have been universally happy with it. Would love to know what the split is on this amongst GTS owners / prospective owners! Feels to me like it's acceptable to go conservative dark grey on the outside if the inside has some red bits!

There's mixed opinion on some of the cheaper options such as comfort lighting, loadspace management, storage package etc. I've decided to keep all of these - I had the first two in my current car (the loadspace management is brilliant by the way!), but regret deselecting the storage package as just a small space under the front seat would be incredibly useful.

Finally, I think the GTS model year 2021 spec is still catching up on the configurator, but I asked Porsche for a specific account of what had changed. It came down to three things: 1) Alcantara is now called Race-Tex (doesn't bother me - I don't want it - I prefer the leather and it's not an option on 14 way anyway), 2) heated front seats are standard now in the GTS (only the GTS mind, and they don't show in the pictures on the configurator) and 3) you now need to select tyre sealing compound and electric air compressor (1G8) under wheel accessories otherwise you don't get anything (again, this only appears to apply to the GTS).

Looking forward to members' thoughts on these. I'm 80% sure it will all go ahead and I'll be getting the car sometime in October-ish, but having put down my deposit, especially in these times, I won't be progressing for anything less than a very good final part ex value on my car: but I consider that it's a win-win - I still love my 1st Gen GTS so if I end up living with it for a year longer, that's not really a hardship!

cc3

Post by cc3 »

Great spec very similar to mine due end July. Don’t forget they have now moved to WLTP basis for tax so it has jumped to the full £2175 for first year
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

With regards to the heated windscreen, I have it on a 2020 Macan Turbo and it's great.
I understand that there is a layer of gel within the screen as there are absolutely no wires to see unlike those in a previous F-Pace (in 2016).
Also the GT sports wheel is a lovely piece of kit too!
Enjoy your new car when it arrives...
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I couldn’t get the configured car open for some reason.

I reckon silver with the black accents will look nice

We didn’t get the screen as our dealer said it probably wasn’t worth it and was nothing like as good as the ford/jlr version. We have had ours over one winter so far and wouldn’t have called it a real pain doing it manually quickly.

Re ACC I wondered if I would miss it after having it on both my AMG E class And my RS4 before that so seriously debated getting it on our new Porsches but didn’t in the end and can’t say I’ve missed it. Our Seat has it and never used it but I agree the collision avoidance bit is nice but we’ve all coped before !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Your spec is fairly close to mine but I've indulged myself a little bit more :D

As you say, colour is a personal choice. Mine is different to yours.

Like you, I've gone for Adaptive Cruise Control. I'd originally gone for Traffic Jam Assist but that disappeared for the 2021MY (at least for the GTS). My logic in keeping Adaptive Cruise is the same as yours, it brings with it extra braking features (which should be standard).

I had a heated windscreen on my Cayenne and found it was not a patch on the Ford system so haven't ordered it again. As it takes under 30 seconds to clear the screen with the standard "boost" system it's no great loss.

I've never seen the attraction of the GT Sports steering wheel but then it's a personal choice.

I've gone for the extended GTS interior but with Race Tex. Saw it on the demonstrator (complete with roof in what was then Alcantara) and fell in love with it. Mind you it means the choice is either standard seats or 18 way.

It was only when I read your post that I realised that the air compressor and sealant were now an extra. They were standard when I place my order. Anyhow I already have a Ring compressor which works from the cigarette lighter point so it will be a £8.99 can of Holts Tyre Weld.

Anyhow you now have a few months before lockdown to succumb to or resist the temptation to spec change ;)
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

My order thread is below and I have gone dolomite with black accents including handles.

The photos in the thread are from my OPC’s first GTS that they got in which is basically the same as mine externally but it doesn’t have the black handles.

I do like the navy with the black wheels. However I’d always think that combo on a GTS would never look as good as it does on a Range Rover for me.

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&start=10
dvearn

Post by dvearn »

Nice post, and some good point to consider.
I know a lot of this will be personal choices, how come the Sports Chrono is in 'must have' on an SUV?

Re ACC, I have this on my 'must have', it's brilliant and makes the use of cruise control practical with the busy motorways (rather than having to keep disengaging/enabling standard cruise control, it just adjusts). The only thing to note is it can take some time to 'see' a car that pulls in front, which can test your 'trust' in the system when doing motorway speeds.
I'd say the emergency brake assist is one of those things that you will be glad of, should you ever need it.
It does annoy me that things like emergency brake and speed indicator are costed extras - perhaps they do this to keep the initial RRP down or something, know full when most people will add (and pay) them.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Regarding ACC. Why don't car companies give you the option to use both ACC or CC as you choose fit. I like ACC in heavy traffic conditions , but hate it will in open road conditions because of how it reacts when some one pulls out.
RGS

Post by RGS »

One option that no one ever suggests is the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes PSCB. I have them on my Turbo and for the first time since alloy wheels took over from steel, I have enjoyed brake dust free motoring which has been a real boon by not having to face that filthy cleaning job. As a bonus the braking is extremely efficient, the discs never gather surface rust and hopefully have an extended life compared to the standard set up. Regarding heated windscreens I have found mine to be excellent as my car lives outside. The windscreen defrosts at the same rate as the rear and only takes a few minutes to be completely clear, no more scraping.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

How do you find the PSCB after washing the car? Do they still go rusty after washing as I hate how that then coats the wheels after the first drive.