Message time

Forum suggestions, help and advice
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Time referenced in message and displayed is not correct , still in winter time (1h less) - NTP server issue ?
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Frenchy wrote:Time referenced in message and displayed is not correct , still in winter time (1h less) - NTP server issue ?
You have to tell it in your settings what tz you are in. Ideally the web I/f could determined this from headers / geo location / ip lookup but that doesn't work well with vpns so, yea, set it yourself.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hum sorry not sure I get that , it's a UK website , reference time should be set by website , not user device , I am in UK and when I post a message at 10h30 (UK time) message appears having posted at 09:30 so for me it s a Website time ref issue.
Did not find any setting option for the website :-(
Anyway , not really critical so I can live with it .
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Tap/click your name top right then "user control panel"

Then "board preferences"

A bit further down is "my time zone"

I agree for a uk-focussed site it could well default to GMT and adjust for daylight savings. But ultimately, websites don't care about boundaries, very probably don't run in the UK and have no guarantees about where you visit from.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I find the manual timezone setting feature very useful on many devices/websites.

For instance, I am about to amend my iPhone to UK time so that I can watch Monaco GP on All4 and then airplay to my Apple TV! The app won't run unless I do this.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The forum is set to UK time but you still have the option in the control panel to set it yourself, I can't set the default for everyone though.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Set the time in the app and now time is displayed properly. Still doesn't not make sense to me as website should provide ref time where ever message is posted from. But as said it s not critical.

I am curious to see someone from New Zealand posting a message witch will appear with 12h difference time ...;-)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Frenchy wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 11:52 am
I am curious to see someone from New Zealand posting a message witch will appear with 12h difference time ...;-)
It's working well for me here: My screen shows that you just posted at 1:52 pm, Bucharest time :D
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I see what you are saying Frenchy but the posts will all appear in the time zone you have set.
So they will all appear in the correct order.
The personal setting is based on what you see and not the post time. I think that makes sense which is why Guy sees your 11.52 post as 2 hours ahead because he has set his time Zone accourdingly. Guys post to us in the uk shows 12 and guys sees it as 2pm
GTS 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

^this
Instants of time are the same everywhere. The tz/dst settings just affect how they're displayed.