New BMW X3 M40i v Macan GTS and Turbo. Thoughts?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

:lol:
GTS \o/ - sold :(

JBA

Post by JBA »

So glad we're unanimous in our love for the Macan.😊

I agree that the new X3 is not as pretty as expected and owning a BMW is not as prestigious as a Porsche, but the fact that an X3 will be capable of a quicker 0-60 time than my GTS is still a bit grating. I hope the facelifted version of the Macan (whenever scheduled) is chipped to deliver even more acceleration and beat off all pretenders😁.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Miopyk wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:23 pm Question 1.

What do you drive?

Question 1. possible answers

1. I drive a BMW blah blah blah
2 I drive a Jaguar blah blah blah
3. I drive a Mercedes blah blah blah
4. I drive a Volvo blah blah blah
5. I drive an Audi blah blah blah
6. I drive a Porsche

Question 2. (this will only be asked if you answer question 1. with answer 6.)

What are you doing tonight/tomorrow/anytime next week, I can be free when ever you want me to be, I want your babies, please be my friend, I love you, no, don't go I need to be with you now. Pleasssseee..................
Supertramp wote a great song about this very optimistic positive way of thinking .... 'Dreamer' and this reply has just cost me 99p as it was missing from my library. Quite a good driving song though.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

After an almost unbroken line of BMWs going back 20+ years I should have been a perfect candidate for an X3 but the thing is so pug ugly I didn't even consider one. The Macan is so much better than my F31 in all areas except engine efficiency. I know you don't buy a turbo for economy but I think even Porsche has to improve in this area for future models.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have been test driving X3's on and off for 15 years.

It has been a love hate relationship that has never ended up with ownership.

The diesel 3 litre engines have been great.

The diesel 2 litre engines have been far to underpowered to move such a heavy lump of metal.

Seating has been comfortable in the X3 for years but the lack of development now shows.

Exterior looks are of the, only a Mother could love variety.

Interiors have always been efficient but not outstanding.

I think internally it is a case of an X3 is an office whereas in a Macan you are at home.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
gjross

Post by gjross »

I would say one, sorry two, of the biggest differences are the X3/X4's crap brakes and the steering. The GTS I test drove had brake 'feel' I've never experienced before on an SUV and is one of the reasons I am moving from BMW. \as for the lack of steering feel from the X3..... Unless the G01 has improved in these keys areas, for me, the Macan will be ahead for many years yet.
Z4M Coupe
X5 30d
520d Tourer
next... Macan GTS... Ordered... delivery Apr/May2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

I came to Porsche after a long line of BMWs and went to BMW after Mercedes. The BMWs were much more driver focused than the Mercedes and Porsche is in a different league from a driver perspective.

JBA why does it grate on you that an X3 might beat you 0-60 on paper? How often have you used the full acceleration potential of your Macan? I often read posts about performance characteristics of our cars and others but the reality is we cannot explore the envelope of their capabilities on a public road without running the risk of being arrested!

I agree with others though that the X3 is butt ugly and doubtless has rock hard suspension and run-flats which is a truly crap combination. No - not for me thanks very much, I'll stick with Porsche although maybe not a Macan.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I owned a previous version X3 with the 3.0d engine. Went really well but was the worst car I ever owned. Only kept it 9 months and upgraded to a lovely LeMans Blue X5.
JBA

Post by JBA »

Good point on the 0-60 time VanB. I guess it's just potential loss of bragging rights in case someone I know buys an X3 40i😂
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
gr8jon

Post by gr8jon »

The M40i engine is great in other uses (love the M140i for hooliganing in)... Not keen on the X3 compared to the Macan though and given BMW's random discounting I suspect residuals won't be great!
2017 VG GTS