Keep your battery healthy too

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I bought mine from Fraserpart.com who @ the moment are selling them for £85.14 including the cig lighter socket adapter. The chargers have a 5 year warranty on them. Fraserpart are a very good reputable company selling Porsche spares. This charger is the same one that Porsche sell but without the Porsche tax or label on it! Depending on your 13amp socket distance you may need to get an extension which I believe is about £10, I bought mine from Halfrauds.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

The CTEK 5 arrived today and for benefit of future readers I can add . . . .
1. It does not come with the adapter to charge via the 12v socket (which according to YouTube is possible).
2. If it is connected under the bonnet the bonnet cannot be closed.
3. Connecting it directly to the battery in the boot is easy (after emptying the boot including the spare wheel!).
4. It lit up and set off nicely - it defaulted to standard car mode - needs AGM selecting.
5. The supplier recommends it be left connected 24/7 as it will switch off and switch back on if the battery gets to 90%.

As an aside, the supplier told me that on Monday this week (one day) they sold a month's stock of these charges!
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Fairynuff wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 am The CTEK 5 arrived today and for benefit of future readers I can add . . . .
1. It does not come with the adapter to charge via the 12v socket (which according to YouTube is possible).
3. Connecting it directly to the battery in the boot is easy (after emptying the boot including the spare wheel!).
4. It lit up and set off nicely - it defaulted to standard car mode - needs AGM selecting.
5. The supplier recommends it be left connected 24/7 as it will switch off and switch back on if the battery gets to 90%.

As an aside, the supplier told me that on Monday this week (one day) they sold a month's stock of these charges!
Thanks for this. I have the CTEK XS 0.8 arriving today so perfect timing. I just needed a trickle charger.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Ive just received my 3rd mx5 charger today (already have one on the bike and 911) but with 3 other vehicles in the household i though it would be worth getting another. Will probably alternate this between them once a week.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Hi all. Been a while since I have been on the forum and nice to see a lot of the names of old and plenty of new ones. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I was looking at the Ctek MXS5.0 and wanted to check a couple of things if anyone can answer.

Will it charge the battery if it’s flat? I have been told only the 7.0 will do that but some conflicting info?
Also is the cigarette lighter socket either boot or armrest always live on a December 2016 Macan GTS?
I expect this has been sneered before somewhere on the forum but be great anyone with first had experience.

Appreciate any advise.
GTS 😀
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm Hi all. Been a while since I have been on the forum and nice to see a lot of the names of old and plenty of new ones. Hope everyone is well and safe.

I was looking at the Ctek MXS5.0 and wanted to check a couple of things if anyone can answer.

Will it charge the battery if it’s flat? I have been told only the 7.0 will do that but some conflicting info?
Also is the cigarette lighter socket either boot or armrest always live on a December 2016 Macan GTS?
I expect this has been sneered before somewhere on the forum but be great anyone with first had experience.

Appreciate any advise.
Think you mean the MXS 5. It should take the battery from flat (unless it’s knackered) but will take a while, and yes you can plug it into the lighter socket, I have it on my 2016 Macan. You just need to ensure that you plug it in and switch it on within a few minutes of switching ignition off as the socket powers down I think app 15 minutes? Also it’s okayto shut a door on the cable as long as your careful and ensure the cable lies flat. Note the cig light socket adaptor is an additional item and doesn’t come with the CTEK so ensure you order it and maybe an extension cable for greater flexibility 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Fairynuff wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 am The CTEK 5 arrived today and for benefit of future readers I can add . . . .
The CTEK cig plug adaptor is an additional item, you can get it from “Demon Tweeks”
(CTEK Comfort Connect - Cigarette Plug SKU: CTEK56-263 £10.30)
It does work successfully when plugged into the centre console socket as long as you switch it on within a few minutes of switching off ignition as the socket remains live, and it’s okay to shut the door on the lead just ensure the cable is laid flat.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Toddie wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:15 pm I have used a CTEK MX 5 on my Boxster for years, they are a good piece of kit.
Another fan of the CTEK Mk 5, great little charger/conditioner.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm Hi all. Been a while since I have been on the forum and nice to see a lot of the names of old and plenty of new ones. Hope everyone is well and safe.

Appreciate any advise.
Welcome back Kf99! Thought you'd become one of the 'disappeared'!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
LVision

Post by LVision »

Been using the MSX5 for a while now and can highly recommend it. Quick question though, I’ve never put mine into AGM mode, in the instruction booklet it says that Normal Car Mode charges AGM batteries as well ??? Never had any problems in all the time I've used it in standard mode, would welcome others comments.