Which Fuel Octane

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4108

Post by Deleted User 4108 »

When I asked the OPC when ordering my car in December he said they recommended 98 octane for all cars irrespective of the vehicle spec

Paul

Post by Paul »

TonyGTS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:14 pm When I asked the OPC when ordering my car in December he said they recommended 98 octane for all cars irrespective of the vehicle spec
Now ask them what they put in when they fill it when they do the PDI. I bet it’s the cheaper alternative 😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Paul wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 pm
TonyGTS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:14 pm When I asked the OPC when ordering my car in December he said they recommended 98 octane for all cars irrespective of the vehicle spec
Now ask them what they put in when they fill it when they do the PDI. I bet it’s the cheaper alternative 😉
I've actually seen this happen, brand new car getting a tank full of 95 octane before collection. Good fresh 95 wont harm the engine although it will loose you that last 1% of performance on full throttle. Fresh fuel is as important as octane. A fill of 98 thats been lying around in a service station tank for six months due to slow sales will be no better than 95. When I raced I was always careful to make sure my fuel was fresh as possible, often asking the station owner when they had last filled the 98 tank and using anything left over after the race in the lawnmower. Much the same as we wouldn't perform well on out of date beans neither does an engine on out of date fuel.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Rab J wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:40 am
I've actually seen this happen, brand new car getting a tank full of 95 octane before collection. Good fresh 95 wont harm the engine although it will loose you that last 1% of performance on full throttle. Fresh fuel is as important as octane. A fill of 98 thats been lying around in a service station tank for six months due to slow sales will be no better than 95. When I raced I was always careful to make sure my fuel was fresh as possible, often asking the station owner when they had last filled the 98 tank and using anything left over after the race in the lawnmower. Much the same as we wouldn't perform well on out of date beans neither does an engine on out of date fuel.
With the current lockdown, my GTS hasn't turned a wheel since mid December. Not that I'm likely to use full throttle for more than the odd second or so but I imagine the fuel in the tank will eventually deteriorate just as if it had been in a garage's tank.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

To think, in years to come, we'll be debating what type of electric to use.
Personally, I will use Octopus Energy.
It's got more legs :)
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
froggyr32

Post by froggyr32 »

Picked up my new Gts in December, had a full tank of fuel (suprised)re fueled with Esso Synergy, far more responsive even on a tight 300 mile engine.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I know our OPC in Tewkesbury use the very local 'Morrisons' to do their initial fill up of fuel before delivery, as this local garage only offers 95 octane unleaded there is no debate on what fuel your new Macan will have in its tank on collection!
My sales exec recommended using three tanks of '95' and then one tank of '98' I must admit it has been hard to tell the difference in performance or MPG but have followed that advice since collection a couple of years back without any complaints so far.
Robbie
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
JS18GTS

Post by JS18GTS »

Couldn’t tell the difference between 98 or 95. The 2star didn’t do to well though😆
RAA

Post by RAA »

I tend to alternate between the two grades - 98 one week and 95 the next.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I just don't see any reason not to use the good stuff, but that's partly due to running a Turbo PP which is mapped to need the octane more than others.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070