Why auto start stop only lasts for 20 seconds?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

When I was out in my S yesterday I noted that the start/stop restarted after quite a short time when I had the a/c on. Without the a/c on it remained stopped.

Generally I find the start stop fine in traffic but it's really annoying at junctions when it cuts out at the point where you're mentally getting ready to go just before the foot comes off the brake
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

SmallWheels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:58 pm When I was out in my S yesterday I noted that the start/stop restarted after quite a short time when I had the a/c on. Without the a/c on it remained stopped.

Generally I find the start stop fine in traffic but it's really annoying at junctions when it cuts out at the point where you're mentally getting ready to go just before the foot comes off the brake
It restarted because the air con compressor is driven via the engine.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
gmacan

Post by gmacan »

You're bob-on right there, jaffacake - we certainly didn't buy thes cars for economy but, for me, "stop/start enabled = how much saved?" is just one of those eternally intriguing questions that may or may not be interesting to know the answer of!
You know, the benefits may be marginally there when bimbling around town in 'D' but what of the trade-offs, eg wear-and-tear costs on the components involved (ignition coil, starter motor, clutch/es, etc). Does that inherent wear offset any gains achieved when bimbling around town, in which case generally pointless to use the feature, ultimately.
Bit like the question of which costs less - photo-sensitive on-off-on lights in the evening your house [with the power surge needed to put them back on after they've switched off] or just leave the same lights on all evening??
What conundrums lol 8-) :|
Macan S, MY16 64k mls, dechromed, PASM, BiXenons, PDLS+, heated 18way sports hardbacks, 20" SportDesign rims/PZeroNeros.
Ex:
Alfa Brera S Prodrive
Porsche 911 C4 factory-lowered(M033)
Porsche968 Sport
Audi S4 quattro Avant biturbo
325iTouring, 528SE
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SmallWheels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:58 pm When I was out in my S yesterday I noted that the start/stop restarted after quite a short time when I had the a/c on. Without the a/c on it remained stopped.

Like Paul, I've had the diamond button programmed to turn stop/start on/off on both my Macans. Always turn it off at junctions and roundabouts. Usually leave it on at traffic lights unless on a hill.

On a steep hill, I was stopped at traffic lights in my SD with the engine stopped and "hold" engaged. Lights changed so I moved my foot to the accelerator. This disengaged "hold" and the car started to roll back (only about six inches) before the engine restarted and took up drive. OK, restart is much faster in the GTS but I've no intention of risking that roll-back again.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:02 pm
On a steep hill, I was stopped at traffic lights in my SD with the engine stopped and "hold" engaged. Lights changed so I moved my foot to the accelerator. This disengaged "hold" and the car started to roll back (only about six inches) before the engine restarted and took up drive. OK, restart is much faster in the GTS but I've no intention of risking that roll-back again.
Ah! not just me then....I had a 'nasty' experience with my SD in a car park with a slight slope. Facing up this slope, I stopped, the engine cut out, HOLD engaged, I put my foot on the accelerator....and it rolled back. So I had to brake PDQ before rolling back into a fence post. I tried again and the same thing happened. Only now the fence was much closer! :oops: So I put on the parking and only then was able to drive forward with no roll back.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col M

Post by Col M »

gmacan wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:11 pm Personally, have long wondered what the ACTUAL gain in terms of fuel economy is with auto stop/start enabled, therefore inc. coasting, when comparing two absolutely identical journeys. Meaning one with it enabled, the other with it disabled. Assuming optimal condition of battery and weather exactly the same on both occasions. Obviously total saving is entirely dependent on number of stops and amount of coasting but, all things considered,
has anyone done any real-world comparisons and calculations? ;)

It must be pretty negligible, I would imagine, in %age terms, but maybe worthwhile if doing a lot of journeys which involve 'the right' conditions.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Paul

Post by Paul »

Really good find!

Informative, researched and entertaining too! (remarkably articulate for an Aussie😉)

(and “confirms” what a waste of time stop / start is!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Col M wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:54 pm
That video is brilliant!
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
gmacan

Post by gmacan »

Brilliant, Col M, big thanks for uploading that - great find, right on point, delivered flawlessly even with some humour, and sooo good to base it on actual research over 10 years and xxx miles 8-) .
Thanks again, confirms my gut instinct, and I'll defo be fair and square in the category that saves nowhere near anything from having auto start/stop switched on, that's now confirmed :D .
Macan S, MY16 64k mls, dechromed, PASM, BiXenons, PDLS+, heated 18way sports hardbacks, 20" SportDesign rims/PZeroNeros.
Ex:
Alfa Brera S Prodrive
Porsche 911 C4 factory-lowered(M033)
Porsche968 Sport
Audi S4 quattro Avant biturbo
325iTouring, 528SE