Car collected .... Not impressed!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

If it’s using oil like that it’s time to say bye bye as I would never be happy with those niggles.

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

For reference, my SD with 20K miles uses no oil whatsoever. I've owned it since 10K miles and never topped it up and never dropped (yet)
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I've had three V6 VW diesel engine Touaregs, same engine as in the Macan, and none of them used any oil between services. That kind of consumption whither supposedly within tolerance would be something I would avoid if at all possible.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:48 am For reference, my SD with 20K miles uses no oil whatsoever. I've owned it since 10K miles and never topped it up and never dropped (yet)
Out of interest, my Cayenne Diesel and my Macan SD both used oil at the rate of 5000 miles per litre for roughly the first 10K miles and then never afterwards.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
RGS

Post by RGS »

My Gen 2 Turbo used 1/2 litre in first 5,000 miles, I topped it up with the oil supplied and purchased another Litre of Mobil 1 from an on-line supplier C30 compliant with 2.9 engine. Only problem, the oil was 5w-30 which handbook say's is ok, but sticker in engine compartment only recommends 0w-30 which apparently overrides the handbook. Couldn't find any in stock online so a trip to the local OPC already mentioned in this thread earlier, to pay through the nose for a litre of correct viscosity oil, but noticed that the showroom staff and presumably other employees must still be on furlough as they were few on the ground compared to normal and you can't wander round the showroom without a prior appointment. So I would think that the lack of staff at work may have a bearing on the service offered to prospective buyers.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

RGS wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:29 pm My Gen 2 Turbo used 1/2 litre in first 5,000 miles, I topped it up with the oil supplied and purchased another Litre of Mobil 1 from an on-line supplier C30 compliant with 2.9 engine. Only problem, the oil was 5w-30 which handbook say's is ok, but sticker in engine compartment only recommends 0w-30 which apparently overrides the handbook. Couldn't find any in stock online so a trip to the local OPC already mentioned in this thread earlier, to pay through the nose for a litre of correct viscosity oil, but noticed that the showroom staff and presumably other employees must still be on furlough as they were few on the ground compared to normal and you can't wander round the showroom without a prior appointment. So I would think that the lack of staff at work may have a bearing on the service offered to prospective buyers.
The sticker in the engine compartment of my 2020 GTS says C30, same as the handbook. Considering it's the same engine as the turbo but a lower state of tune it's surprising that there is an oil difference. As I currently have 4+ litres of C30 in my garage, built up from services over the last seven years, I was relieved to see C30 on the sticker.
Peter

RGS

Post by RGS »

C 30 comes in two different viscosity's, 0w-30 and 5w-30. My handbook recommends both but it also says if there is a sticker in the engine compartment indicating an approved engine oil designation, this information has priority over the handbook. On my 2020 Turbo the sticker in the engine compartment says use 0w-30 and doesn't mention any other viscosity. This put me in a quandary as I have both, the problem seems to be the addition of the petrol particulate filter and the guy at the OPC shook his head and said correct oil now is a minefield. My Son's new Cayman GTS.4 takes a completely different viscosity oil 0w-40. I don't know if using 5w-30 in the Macan would cause any issues as the oil being slightly thicker would flow more slowly, so i'm sticking to 0w-30 unless someone say differently
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

RGS wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 pm C 30 comes in two different viscosity's, 0w-30 and 5w-30. My handbook recommends both but it also says if there is a sticker in the engine compartment indicating an approved engine oil designation, this information has priority over the handbook. On my 2020 Turbo the sticker in the engine compartment says use 0w-30 and doesn't mention any other viscosity. This put me in a quandary as I have both, the problem seems to be the addition of the petrol particulate filter and the guy at the OPC shook his head and said correct oil now is a minefield. My Son's new Cayman GTS.4 takes a completely different viscosity oil 0w-40. I don't know if using 5w-30 in the Macan would cause any issues as the oil being slightly thicker would flow more slowly, so i'm sticking to 0w-30 unless someone say differently
Thanks for your post. I've just been out and re-checked. The sticker in my car says the same as yours C30 and 0w-30. Looks like I'm going to be buying oil after all as I don't see the engine going 2 years without a top up.
Peter

paulmac

Post by paulmac »

As C30 can mean either 0W-30 or 5W-30 I thought I would check out the difference and found the following interesting write up that explains the difference.

https://www.stikkitnow.com/0w30-vs-5w30-motor-oil

Porsche C30 can be either variety of Mobil1. I wonder which version OPC's use during service.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

paulmac wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:28 pm As C30 can mean either 0W-30 or 5W-30 I thought I would check out the difference and found the following interesting write up that explains the difference.

https://www.stikkitnow.com/0w30-vs-5w30-motor-oil

Porsche C30 can be either variety of Mobil1. I wonder which version OPC's use during service.

Paul
Thanks for the link. Interesting write up. Not that this country is likely to produce temperatures at the lower extremity of either oils, it looks as if 0W-30 has been selected for better economy.
Peter