How easy is it to sell Macan privately

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I have sold a number of cars privately over the last few years. All went within 2/3 weeks to genuinely decent people, unfortunately as Bazza stated you have to be prepared to deal with all sorts, there’s plenty of them out there. Time wasting, Objectionable and Stupid. aka “TOSSERS” 🤨😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Bazza06 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:58 pm I sold mine via Autotrader. I was very wary as I hadn't sold a car privately for many years, but I was impressed with how Autotrader anonymizes the contact details you provide.

I took a lot of pictures and provided a very thorough description of the car I was selling and had several interested buyers.

However, I still had to encounter one group of three, the buyer, the driver and the mechanic, who between them told me that they didn't like the look of the rust on the brake discs (it was surface rust as I had left the car standing since going on sale), wanted the car in black, as opposed to the advertised and pictured Volcano Grey, asked if I've got the 21" wheels in the garage "No, the car has 19" wheels as per the advert" "Ah, but you might have bought 21" wheels" "I think I would have remembered".

After all that, they offered £4500 less than the advertised price. Their argument being that they would have to buy the 21" wheels and paint the chrome black!

As you can imagine, their offer was refused, but they continued to contact me upping the offer each time.
Even a month after I had sold the vehicle, one of them contacted me and refused to believe I had since sold it, which I had on the same day they viewed the car!

If you're prepared for the possibility of these types of encounters and hold out for an acceptable price, you could achieve more than you would via a dealer.
Are you still keeping your order alive then? You had doubts at one stage.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Bleedsoff wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:42 pm I have never sold a car privately always to usually as a part ex or to the trade.
I have sold many cars privately (Autotrader) and I have to say that they have all been a good experience. I (of course) have always been totally honest and up front and I may have been lucky but I have always sold to nice people. Of course you're dealing with strangers and need to be careful and clearly the problem area is the handover / payment AND I have to admit that I have never sold a car for more than 20K. If I were you I would give it a go starting with listing it on here.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

On-Track wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:34 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:58 pm I sold mine via Autotrader. I was very wary as I hadn't sold a car privately for many years, but I was impressed with how Autotrader anonymizes the contact details you provide.

I took a lot of pictures and provided a very thorough description of the car I was selling and had several interested buyers.

However, I still had to encounter one group of three, the buyer, the driver and the mechanic, who between them told me that they didn't like the look of the rust on the brake discs (it was surface rust as I had left the car standing since going on sale), wanted the car in black, as opposed to the advertised and pictured Volcano Grey, asked if I've got the 21" wheels in the garage "No, the car has 19" wheels as per the advert" "Ah, but you might have bought 21" wheels" "I think I would have remembered".

After all that, they offered £4500 less than the advertised price. Their argument being that they would have to buy the 21" wheels and paint the chrome black!

As you can imagine, their offer was refused, but they continued to contact me upping the offer each time.
Even a month after I had sold the vehicle, one of them contacted me and refused to believe I had since sold it, which I had on the same day they viewed the car!

If you're prepared for the possibility of these types of encounters and hold out for an acceptable price, you could achieve more than you would via a dealer.
Are you still keeping your order alive then? You had doubts at one stage.
Yes, I still have my deposit lodged with the dealer and have had to let my slot go on two occasions.

I'm waiting to see how the next couple months go as I will either be in job or made redundant. It's all up in the air.

One thing I forgot to mention about my selling experience, about 30 minutes before the three guys turned up, I received a buyer enquiry email via Autotrader (you may know that they anonymize the senders address) which said "You will never ever ever get the money you're asking. Just thought I'd let you know".

It did cross my mind that one of the three sent that message en-route!!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bleedsoff

Post by Bleedsoff »

Thanks for the replies.

In the end I did sell to a dealer. I got what i thought was an good price, in fact I was shocked when he offered it. I wouldn't of got that much more privately I dont feel. So less hassel and wanted a quickish sell. Somone is going to get a lovely Macan for sure. Very upset I had to get rid.
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

It can be frustrating trying to sell a highish value car privately although I have managed to do so Before with a bit of patience. I currently have my 997T up for sale. A pretty good example of the marque and it’s amazing how many people seem to think that 6-7k under the asking price is a reasonable place to start. My response is usually along the lines of “I wouldn’t have got out of bed for such a derisory offer.....”.

There are also those who then say, “ ah it’s a 13 year old and needs things to be done as we are car perfectionists”. To which the response is..... it’s a 13 year old car so expect Some minor things to be done e.g. a couple of centre caps to be replaced. But it is a one previous owner car with an OPC warranty, fully serviced and cared for.

There will always be chancers, especially now as I think buyers are expecting a “fire sale” approach due to the covid situation and tales of doom and gloom which allows them to make stupid offers in the hope of getting a bargain.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Bleedsoff

Post by Bleedsoff »

Rigger wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:09 pm It can be frustrating trying to sell a highish value car privately although I have managed to do so Before with a bit of patience. I currently have my 997T up for sale. A pretty good example of the marque and it’s amazing how many people seem to think that 6-7k under the asking price is a reasonable place to start. My response is usually along the lines of “I wouldn’t have got out of bed for such a derisory offer.....”.

There are also those who then say, “ ah it’s a 13 year old and needs things to be done as we are car perfectionists”. To which the response is..... it’s a 13 year old car so expect Some minor things to be done e.g. a couple of centre caps to be replaced. But it is a one previous owner car with an OPC warranty, fully serviced and cared for.

There will always be chancers, especially now as I think buyers are expecting a “fire sale” approach due to the covid situation and tales of doom and gloom which allows them to make stupid offers in the hope of getting a bargain.
Got a link for your 997? lol