How easy is it to sell Macan privately

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bleedsoff

Post by Bleedsoff »

Hello,

Unfortunately due to current circumstances, I will have to sell my 2019 Macan.

I was wondering what is the best way to do this and how easy is it actually to sell these things privately, any tips? Do I have to do anything to transfer the warranty? Do people usually have that much cash to buy outright?

I have never sold a car privately always to usually as a part ex or to the trade.

Regards

Post by 0000 »

Plenty of cash buyers out there. A car with the right spec and price will sell privately easily.

Just last week a forum member sold his 2019 Macan within about 2 days. Advertised on here and Autotrader.

The warranty is attached to the car for the first 3 years, so nothing to do.

Spec and price combo must be emphasised. If your spec has a limited appeal (or is missing key items) and/or your price is too high, you will find it much harder to sell.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Let us see it then 😄
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
davewf

Post by davewf »

When I sold mine privately they simply contacted the OPC who changed the ownership details on their systems to the new owner. The new owner did thats o any recall etc would go them instead of me.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I sold mine via Autotrader. I was very wary as I hadn't sold a car privately for many years, but I was impressed with how Autotrader anonymizes the contact details you provide.

I took a lot of pictures and provided a very thorough description of the car I was selling and had several interested buyers.

However, I still had to encounter one group of three, the buyer, the driver and the mechanic, who between them told me that they didn't like the look of the rust on the brake discs (it was surface rust as I had left the car standing since going on sale), wanted the car in black, as opposed to the advertised and pictured Volcano Grey, asked if I've got the 21" wheels in the garage "No, the car has 19" wheels as per the advert" "Ah, but you might have bought 21" wheels" "I think I would have remembered".

After all that, they offered £4500 less than the advertised price. Their argument being that they would have to buy the 21" wheels and paint the chrome black!

As you can imagine, their offer was refused, but they continued to contact me upping the offer each time.
Even a month after I had sold the vehicle, one of them contacted me and refused to believe I had since sold it, which I had on the same day they viewed the car!

If you're prepared for the possibility of these types of encounters and hold out for an acceptable price, you could achieve more than you would via a dealer.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Dartmoor

Post by Dartmoor »

Sounds like it went well for you.
How did you handle the "test drive"?
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Dartmoor wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 pm Sounds like it went well for you.
How did you handle the "test drive"?
The buyer and I went for a short drive, with me at the wheel.

He didn't want to drive the car and I felt his confidence in the vehicle and me as the seller, bearing in mind he was going to be parting with about £47K, was boosted by the advert content and interaction during the viewing process.

As a seller, I felt I needed to do as much as I could to give confidence to the buyer that they were not going to be ripped off.

It must have worked as he paid the money by bank transfer and then left it with me for 4 days when convenient for him to collect!!

Equally, to ensure I wasn't going to be ripped off, I did a couple of checks on him to ensure as best I could, that he / his details matched what I had been given.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bleedsoff

Post by Bleedsoff »

Thanks for the replies. Def has got me thinking.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Some time ago I posted a response to a similar question viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7950&hilit=autotrader#p164615. You may find it helpful
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
penport

Post by penport »

On the flip side my experience of buying privately was positive and also somewhat interesting.

The advert was only on Pistonheads - which I took as a good sign from a buyers perspective as the seller wanted to avoid the masses on Autotrader and knew that it would be more likely to be bought by a petrolhead (he was correct!).

We established a good rapport on the two occasions that I visited his house to view the Macan, but despite that I was a little nervous when he asked me for a deposit (1K) by bank transfer followed by the balance in full to be paid the day before collection.

In retrospect this was a good move for both of us as the balancing payment actually got blocked by my bank, causing some anxious phone calls. It turns out that they consider it a potentially coercive pattern when a small amount goes through followed by a much larger amount.

It did lead to a slightly disturbed nights sleep knowing that all the money was irretrievably gone, and great relief to find the car was waiting and ready for me as scheduled.

The thing that made all the difference was the level of communication from the seller which was superb, plus of course I knew where he lived if anything went awry ;)
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]