Day at Silverstone PEC in GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Partysausage wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:37 pm Had an interesting conversation with my instructor after about what speed the Macan would do around the original handling track.

I asked him what the car was capable of speed wise around the track at various points and he gave the example below...

If you imagine when you come out of the ‘pits’ then you’ve got an almost continuous or treble right hand bend before braking downhill for the left turn he said it would do around 75mph.

Out of interest we got up to about 66mph. He obviously said we can’t have cars following each other that close (25ft or so in my case) at the ‘top capable speed’. Especially given the lack of run off area at the left hand corner.

On the drive home I was thinking from various points over the morning about what speeds to do where and when it seems they have a speed limit of around 60mph.

I don’t know how this ties in with other peoples experiences?
I was too busy focussing on the bends coming up to even think about looking at the speedo!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:28 pm
Partysausage wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:37 pm Had an interesting conversation with my instructor after about what speed the Macan would do around the original handling track.

I asked him what the car was capable of speed wise around the track at various points and he gave the example below...

If you imagine when you come out of the ‘pits’ then you’ve got an almost continuous or treble right hand bend before braking downhill for the left turn he said it would do around 75mph.

Out of interest we got up to about 66mph. He obviously said we can’t have cars following each other that close (25ft or so in my case) at the ‘top capable speed’. Especially given the lack of run off area at the left hand corner.

On the drive home I was thinking from various points over the morning about what speeds to do where and when it seems they have a speed limit of around 60mph.

I was too busy focussing on the bends coming up to even think about looking at the speedo!
I must of had some room in the tank Nick!
;) :?
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Partysausage wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:56 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:28 pm

I must of had some room in the tank Nick!
;) :?
Like Nick, I was focusing on the Track but the instructor said afterwards we were pretty much on the limit of what the Macan could do. Interestingly, he said the Taycan wasn't as fast around the circuit due to its weight
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

These are pretty short sections, but designed to test Porsches at 'safe' speeds. One guy in our customer group said on a previous EXPERIENCE day that he'd got up to 100+ mph on the parallel acceleration straight. The instructor stated that this would not be at all possible. The full-bore acceleration I did from 0-60 mph and then stand on the brakes was an eye opener to me. It also demonstrated the flashing brake lights when you do such an emergency stop and automatically turning on the hazard lights when you do come to a full stop. They go off automatically as soon as you move again.

You are concentrating hard through the handling circuits and i certainly didn't want to risk looking down at the speedo. I was having too much fun chasing the instructor too! At no time did I feel that the Macan GTS would break-away, even though we were going hard at it in the rain. :twisted:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:15 am These are pretty short sections, but designed to test Porsches at 'safe' speeds. One guy in our customer group said on a previous EXPERIENCE day that he'd got up to 100+ mph on the parallel acceleration straight. The instructor stated that this would not be at all possible. The full-bore acceleration I did from 0-60 mph and then stand on the brakes was an eye opener to me. It also demonstrated the flashing brake lights when you do such an emergency stop and automatically turning on the hazard lights when you do come to a full stop. They go off automatically as soon as you move again.

You are concentrating hard through the handling circuits and i certainly didn't want to risk looking down at the speedo. I was having too much fun chasing the instructor too! At no time did I feel that the Macan GTS would break-away, even though we were going hard at it in the rain. :twisted:
Do they still do the lane change part way through the emergency stop? It mimics the deer avoidance swerve that caused early Mercedes A Classes to overturn.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

On-Track wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 am
SAC1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:15 am These are pretty short sections, but designed to test Porsches at 'safe' speeds. One guy in our customer group said on a previous EXPERIENCE day that he'd got up to 100+ mph on the parallel acceleration straight. The instructor stated that this would not be at all possible. The full-bore acceleration I did from 0-60 mph and then stand on the brakes was an eye opener to me. It also demonstrated the flashing brake lights when you do such an emergency stop and automatically turning on the hazard lights when you do come to a full stop. They go off automatically as soon as you move again.

Do they still do the lane change part way through the emergency stop? It mimics the deer avoidance swerve that caused early Mercedes A Classes to overturn.

Yup, I did it in a Macan last week Monday. It's incredible how well the car handles it.
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

On-Track wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 am

Yes I did this on the straights. Left hand lane to 70mph then across into the middle lane to straighten up.