How much extra would you pay for a BEV Macan?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Reading about the new Audi e-Tron with pricing from: £79-95K. That’s a whole lot of cash for an EV and a massive premium when compared to the equivalent ICE; this was one of the reasons I went for a petrol GTS. I was anticipating a price premium, but not at this kind of level. I would not spend this this much on an Audi never mind a Porsche. Presumably this pricing is an indicator of what to expect for the all new EV Macan - maybe?
Based on this I am thinking I made the correct choice, I will be holding until EV pricing matches current ICE performance cars – I am thinking in the next 4 to 5 years there will be a lot of changes.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... sportback/
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

(sadly) in your dreams..................... EVs are the decimal currency of the 21st century................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

£79-95K would only buy you a cheap Porsche :D :D :D

But yes, know what you mean...
JBA

Post by JBA »

I agree with you to hold on to an ICE performance car. The BEV has some way to go to be an ideal proposition to match the media hype.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

EVs are hurting manufacturers. It was predicted that battery pricing would fall a LOT faster than it has and it's proving very hard to produce EVs with a decent range with an acceptable price.

At the moment, EVs are convenient to get the mnfr CO2 footprint down - avoiding a hefty EU fine. It's cheaper to sell EVs at a loss than to pay the fine, so this makes some EV pricing fairly artificial right now.

Additionally, the tax relief on EVs is crazy and, as a company car, they work out a lot cheaper. Hence lots of people jumping into Tesla Model S and Taycan as there is 0% BIK. This won't last forever though.

Who knows how this will pan out but I started shopping for a Macan as soon as I heard the next model would be EV only. As well as not having the exhaust noises I wanted, I couldn't see it being at all affordable for a private (non-business) owner.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Wot 'e said...................... (sadly)
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

jaffacake wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm EVs are hurting manufacturers. It was predicted that battery pricing would fall a LOT faster than it has and it's proving very hard to produce EVs with a decent range with an acceptable price.

At the moment, EVs are convenient to get the mnfr CO2 footprint down - avoiding a hefty EU fine. It's cheaper to sell EVs at a loss than to pay the fine, so this makes some EV pricing fairly artificial right now.

Additionally, the tax relief on EVs is crazy and, as a company car, they work out a lot cheaper. Hence lots of people jumping into Tesla Model S and Taycan as there is 0% BIK. This won't last forever though.

Who knows how this will pan out but I started shopping for a Macan as soon as I heard the next model would be EV only. As well as not having the exhaust noises I wanted, I couldn't see it being at all affordable for a private (non-business) owner.
Agree with all of this: EV Macan will have a significant jump in price, be heavier and not sound as good. As a private buyer no gain on the BIK for me either. I will go EV at some point, but I need battery tech to improve: twice the range and half the weight I think is the Gen II battery tech goal for me. What I really want to take off is hydrogen cell technology - much better than BEVs, I still think battery is not the end solution, just a stepping stone technology. Agreed, manufacturers are pushing EVs to make CO2 targets, rather than making cost effective ICE replacement cars.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
davewf

Post by davewf »

I would not pay a premium for a BEV Macan, look at the VW id 3 that is priced around the diesel Golf price as it should be. But to be honest because of the charging infrastructure or lack of it, only viable BEV is a Tesla which has its own charging network.

Network will naturally get better over time but its just not there yet.

Have a watch of Harrys Garage latest video on the X5 Hybrid [url] also his video on the ipace is interesting [url]
Taz

Post by Taz »

A friend of mine rented a car this weekend which turned out to be a Fiesta Mild Hybrid. It had a 1 litre engine producing 115ps and a small electric motor that charged an equally small battery that just gave additional boost when accelerating . There was no ‘just electric’ function.

He did a check up and it would have cost nearly £20k new - hell’s teeth, £20k for a Fiesta with an electric motor just so that it can be classified in a lower tax band !
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Yes, the new Toyota Yaris is hybrid only now, starts at £21k.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070