New GTS depreciation

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Juve

Post by Juve »

So with the way the market is at the moment and stock very low, what’s the thoughts on buying a new Macan GTS hoping to keep the depreciation low?

Seems like there’s a couple for sale all around list price and some a little over

Was initially going for a used GTS but now I’m thinking buying new would suffer the similar depreciation to a 2-3 year old used one....

Happy to hear thoughts :D

Roadrunner996

Post by Roadrunner996 »

The only way to avoid depreciation is to buy a Macan GT3 RS new.........
Previous: 996.2 C4, 997.1 GT3 CS , Cayman R, Macan GTS
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

The current used/ ex demo GTS are as you say close to list based on low availability with OPC/sellers hoping to cash in with a buyer who wants an instant result. Personally don’t consider any of them good value but re your question “depreciation of a new v 2/3 yr old”. Subject to not suffering any major repair bills a 2/3 year old v a new kept for the same period of time will always cost you less in £ terms. You pay more you lose more 😖 but what value do you put on the pleasure factor 🤔⁉️
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Roadrunner996 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am The only way to avoid depreciation is to buy a Macan GT3 RS new.........
Where do I sign 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

An interesting post. I had a similar dilemma 18 months ago, a new Macan S (to my exact spec) was not much more than a decent 18-24 month old GTS model. However with hindsight these buoyant 2nd hand prices were simply driven by a short term blip in the supply & demand cycle (post diesel factory shut down & getting everything through the new WLTP regs).
I suspect that used market is again slightly buoyant but likely to return to normal levels over the next few months as the supply issues fade away.
In my case it boiled down to the simple question of which car I would enjoy more so I opted for the new car.
Don’t forget to include things like the major 4 year service in your calculations when considering the used car and likely a set of brakes/pads/tyres at some point which may not be the case with the new car if only keeping it for 2-3 years.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

If a used GTS is priced highly now it will inevitably depreciate more than a typical used Macan. You’d need to do a few spreadsheet calculations to compare new and used depreciation and see what the actual difference between the two options is in £ per month. A used one may well cost a lot of money in expensive wear & tear items like tyres and brakes as Alfanut says. What annual mileage do you anticipate ? The wear & tear might not be so significant with low mileage. If you order a new one you can get it spec’d the way you want (and save a few £ there missing out unwanted options) but you’d be lucky to get it before Christmas. On the other hand a new S will cost a lot less and the difference on a real road will be small.

If you’re really concerned about depreciation, get a cost to lease or PCP the car and you’ll have a known final figure right at the start.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

A new car is only new until you put the keys in and drive it off the forecourt - then it's used like any other and will have the value of a used car with its age and mileage.

A 2 year old car you owned from new with 10,000 miles will be worth the same as any other 2 years old car with 10k miles on it.

I guess what you're saying is that you looked at used GTS but there doesn't appear to be much saving today vs a new one. If so, you may as well buy the new one - perhaps. Does it means that you can keep your new one a while and then dispose of it used for what you paid for it? Unlikely. If everybody looking at used cars buys a new one as there is no saving, then the used values are wrong and will need to fall.

Also worth noting that, as with houses, asking price and selling price are not the same thing at all.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Juve

Post by Juve »

Thanks for the replies.

So spoken to a few OPCs who have end of year GTS availability for new. My thinking was, with the way the market is, I could buy a new GTS and lose let’s say £15k over 2 years, 6000 miles per annum. If my depreciation for a used GTS is similar to this figure then I’m better taking the new car? Cash buyer most likely so not worried about extra interest etc

Just wondering if I can replicate/closely match new depreciation with used.... hmm
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Juve wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:40 pm Thanks for the replies.

So spoken to a few OPCs who have end of year GTS availability for new. My thinking was, with the way the market is, I could buy a new GTS and lose let’s say £15k over 2 years, 6000 miles per annum. If my depreciation for a used GTS is similar to this figure then I’m better taking the new car? Cash buyer most likely so not worried about extra interest etc

Just wondering if I can replicate/closely match new depreciation with used.... hmm
If your trading back to OPC probably lose £20/25k range, their need at time and how much you spend on extra spec is a factor. Sell privately with one year warranty remaining if all in top condition and fully Porsche serviced will get you closer to your target.
Previous Porsche’s
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
Awaiting delivery
jkwade

Post by jkwade »

MikeM wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:26 am
Juve wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:40 pm Thanks for the replies.

If your trading back to OPC probably lose £20/25k range, their need at time and how much you spend on extra spec is a factor. Sell privately with one year warranty remaining if all in top condition and fully Porsche serviced will get you closer to your target.
This is more likely. Buying new and keeping for 2 years is about the best way to ensure you take the biggest depreciation hit.

My own car the new buyer paid £87k new and got £45k back for it At 2.5years old.

The strong used prices will drop back down to the ‘proper’ level once supply for new catches up with demand following the shutdowns.

so long as you are changing cars into a MAcan then in theory you will benefit from the strong used price as you sell your existing car, if you’re not disposing of a car to buy a MAcan then you are going to get hit with more depreciation than usual.