New GTS depreciation

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RGS

Post by RGS »

According to "What Car" Macans retain over 60% of their value after 3 years and 36K miles. They will always retain a good value because unlike other popular makes, Porsche are not volume manufacturers (one of the reasons I left Mercedes after 25 years of loyal service and realised the depreciation they now suffer). Another thing, Porsche keep their manufacturing close to home unlike BMW for example whose latest EV is manufactured in China, so people buying a "German" car may be surprised to discover it was made on the other side of the world ! Even Macan's have some parts made in China, but so far not the whole vehicle, that's the price European car manufacturers have to pay to gain access to the Chinese market.

Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

I spent about £80k on my GTS including a full extra set of winter clad spyders and as many extras as I wanted. I knew I’d never get the extras back and I don’t care. I bought the car I wanted to enjoy it and have no intention of selling it. Over 10-15 years, if it survives that long, the depreciation evens out... to scrap value?
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Most cars lose most in the first 12 months, the the next 12 and so on - as I'm sure you know.

I had a similar dilemma, new for £65k or 12 months / 6k miles for let's call it £60k. I plan to keep the car for 2 years and do 10k miles.

So the depreciation question comes from looking at the price of a 2yr old 10k mile car vs 3yr old 16k mile car. Will the 2yr old car be worth £5k more or not? Strong argument that the 1yr old car is overpriced at the moment due to demand, but that would also mean price of that car was not a good indication of the depreciation on a new car...

At this point I decided f%^£ it and paid a deposit on the new one.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Elrao wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 am Most cars lose most in the first 12 months, the the next 12 and so on - as I'm sure you know.

I had a similar dilemma, new for £65k or 12 months / 6k miles for let's call it £60k. I plan to keep the car for 2 years and do 10k miles.

So the depreciation question comes from looking at the price of a 2yr old 10k mile car vs 3yr old 16k mile car. Will the 2yr old car be worth £5k more or not? Strong argument that the 1yr old car is overpriced at the moment due to demand, but that would also mean price of that car was not a good indication of the depreciation on a new car...

GTS? make sure you get your preferred spec right first time, delivered before year end and enjoy 👍 picking up mine this Friday, build to delivery was 6 weeks 😊
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

It's due to be built November 6th, OPC said they'd expect to have it about 2 weeks later. Hoping to have it early Dec
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

MikeM wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am
Elrao wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 am Most cars lose most in the first 12 months, the the next 12 and so on - as I'm sure you know.

GTS? make sure you get your preferred spec right first time, delivered before year end and enjoy 👍 picking up mine this Friday, build to delivery was 6 weeks 😊
Need pics
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
jone66

Post by jone66 »

I've had the similar thoughts about new/ 2yr old with regards to the topic subject. The wear and tear with upcoming costs is always the unknown and even with other manufacturers, buying 2nd hand I would always consider warranties, that's another cost to factor. For me, the GTS will be my first ever "NEW" car, it will be fully loaded and I will absolutely love the ownership, I've been drooling over the Macan ever since they came out and if my first is the journey i am hoping for I will am totally pleased with the experience, will be a Porsche owner for many years to come. With luck they will also venture into the mobility sector. :D
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Worth pointing out the VAT "scam" here.

All new cars are sold inclusive of 20% VAT. There is no VAT on used cars - hence you can sell them privately without worrying about it.

If you spend £100k on a new car, the car was actually only worth £80k - the rest was the VAT.

If the same car sells "used" for more than £80k, it's actually gone up in value.

However dealers do have to pay VAT on the margin they make on a used car, at 20%. So if they buy a car at auction for £70k and then sell it for £80k retail, they are liable for VAT on the £10k profit - i.e. £2000.

On paperwork day when buying a used car with a trade-in, you often see dealers adjusting the price of the trade-in vs the sale price to reduce their VAT liability if possible.

e.g. you negotiate to buy a car for £60k and trade in your old one for £40k. You have to add £20k to make the deal.

On the day the dealer might say that he actually wants to sell you the car for £70k but he'll give you £50k for your old one, so you still only have to pay the £20k difference. All is the same on the day.

But he's given you £50k for your old one, so that is his purchase price for that car.

If he then sells your old one for £60k, he's made £10k on that deal - not £20k. So he's only liable for £2k VAT, not £4k.

As a result of all this, depreciation and trade-in values can be hard to gauge.

I've simplified above but you'll see why it makes pre-reg cars very profitable for dealers.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

jaffacake wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am Worth pointing out the VAT "scam" here.

All new cars are sold inclusive of 20% VAT. There is no VAT on used cars - hence you can sell them privately without worrying about it.

If you spend £100k on a new car, the car was actually only worth £80k - the rest was the VAT.

If the same car sells "used" for more than £80k, it's actually gone up in value.

However dealers do have to pay VAT on the margin they make on a used car, at 20%. So if they buy a car at auction for £70k and then sell it for £80k retail, they are liable for VAT on the £10k profit - i.e. £2000.

On paperwork day when buying a used car with a trade-in, you often see dealers adjusting the price of the trade-in vs the sale price to reduce their VAT liability if possible.

e.g. you negotiate to buy a car for £60k and trade in your old one for £40k. You have to add £20k to make the deal.

On the day the dealer might say that he actually wants to sell you the car for £70k but he'll give you £50k for your old one, so you still only have to pay the £20k difference. All is the same on the day.

But he's given you £50k for your old one, so that is his purchase price for that car.

If he then sells your old one for £60k, he's made £10k on that deal - not £20k. So he's only liable for £2k VAT, not £4k.

As a result of all this, depreciation and trade-in values can be hard to gauge.

I've simplified above but you'll see why it makes pre-reg cars very profitable for dealers.

Well said but your maths isn't correct.

If you spent £100k on a new car, it is actually worth £83,333.33 - add 20% VAT to this figure and you'll get back to your £100k.

The VAT on £80k is "only" £16k, which only adds up to £96k.

I know that I'm being picky but I just couldn't keep quiet!!
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

He's also sold the 60k car for 70k...so paying more VAT on that one