Pothole Killed my tyre - Spare Change not too hard

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

So after around 30years I had to make a wheel change today. Had a full boot and hit a pothole, sounded very nasty then got the pressure loss instantly from the TPMS and wheel showing gash and small chuck of wheel damage :(. I had debated over adding the collapsible spare wheel building the car, was told it was a waste of time by dealer - I checked the box anyway, just in case, glad I did and only £161 option.

We could have called Porsche assist, but I figured that would be an hour+ and we were not in the best place to wait. Emptied the boot at side of the road and pulled out the compressor and got it pumping up the spare. Loosened off the bolts with the short wrench supplied, which was fine (surprisingly, not too tight) Jacked the car up with the supplied jack, inserting into the socket on the frame nice and easy and jack worked well.

Took around 5-6mins to pump collapsible spare to 50 psi and wheel changed in less than 20mins; I was expecting the bolts would be oo tight. but they were fine. The removed wheel fits on the dropped backseat behind passenger seat - just.

Called local OPC - no stock of 21" Sport latitude 3 (N2) until next day and it would be £293 fitted and balanced - ouch!

Called my local tyre place - next day £263. Waiting on it now and completed the 60mile round trip at 50mph (limit set) was fine, but v slow.

So had I not taken the spare wheel option I would have lost the day I guess as I would have been recovered to an OPC for a tyre replacement and paid over the odds. Instead I managed to get the job done and back running within 20mis. Anyone doing a new car I would recommend checking the box for the spare - you just never know, and its compact design is quite neat under the floor.

I have had lower profile tyres than the 40 profile on the Macan (30 profile on our TT) and never lost pressure due to a pothole before, not great and not cheap. Only 5k miles on the car so will do a single tyre replacement this time - I normally do pairs.

I picked up a set of winter 20" Spyders recently and these will go on Nov - April and will hopefully give better protection over the winter and hopefully I wont be unlucky for a while to come. Anyway posting to show that its really not that bad to replace the wheel and spare is a good addition when doing a build.

Spare.PNG

Jack.PNG

gash2.PNG

gash.PNG

Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Shame about the damage. The roads are a disgrace. Is it possible to make a claim against the council (probably very difficult!!)?

Agree with you about spare wheel. All cars should have the option of a spare wheel. Mine has not been used yet (probably shouldn't say that :shock: :shock: )
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

That’s quite a lot for one tyre. I recently got a few nails in one of mine and wrote it off, at 19k miles so I decided to buy four new N rated Michelin’s for £773 fitted.
I am running on my 20” winters until the tyres come in this Friday, if I did not have the winters I too would have used the spare wheel, if I did not have a spare or the winter wheels I would have been out of action for a week.
My car did not come with a spare wheel, the first owner thought ventilated seats were more important than a spare wheel, I know which I’d rather have. I bought the spare wheel, jack and trim from Porsche the week after I bought the car, it cost more than £500!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:42 pm That’s quite a lot for one tyre. I recently got a few nails in one of mine and wrote it off, at 19k miles so I decided to buy four new N rated Michelin’s for £773 fitted.
I am running on my 20” winters until the tyres come in this Friday, if I did not have the winters I too would have used the spare wheel, if I did not have a spare or the winter wheels I would have been out of action for a week.
My car did not come with a spare wheel, the first owner thought ventilated seats were more important than a spare wheel, I know which I’d rather have. I bought the spare wheel, jack and trim from Porsche the week after I bought the car, it cost more than £500!
I thought £200/tyre was also the going rate, but Black Circles and others all around the £245 mark. Also for others to note you cant mix "Ns" according to the OPC and both N0 and N2 available on Black Circles - I have N2s.

N2.PNG

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Couple more on-line suppliers

Capture 2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:43 am Couple more on-line suppliers
Hi Steve. These do look cheaper, but lead time too long 1 week+; 1 day of 50mph max speed was too long ;) These prices dont look to be fully fitted?

10% discount on a pair also makes these more competative (£216 each fully fitted)

Just got mine replaced this morning at my usual fitting centre - I trust them not to damage the wheel as I have used them for many years, they also fully deflated and returned the spare to the boot - worth the £20 premium for next day delivery and a good service - also happy to support local businesses.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Just as an aside - cars without spare wheels don't even come with a jack.
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

kmacuk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:28 pm
SAC1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:43 am Couple more on-line suppliers
Hi Steve. These do look cheaper, but lead time too long 1 week+; 1 day of 50mph max speed was too long ;) These prices dont look to be fully fitted?
The fitting, balancing and casing disposal will be extra to these on-line internet prices. It does pay to shop around when buying these large SUV tyres - both on price and fitting expertise and care.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
JLR

Post by JLR »

I locked-in the spec on my GTS almost 3 weeks ago and in my original configuration I'd included the spare. However the sales guy at the OPC convinced me to remove the option saying that (1) the under-floor storage space is very useful, and (2) the responsiveness of Porsche's breakdown service is so good, why would you not leave it to the experts. It was a compelling argument on the day hence I left it out, but reading this thread makes me question that decision!
Current: MY21 Carmine Red Macan GTS
Sold: 2017 BMW 540i Touring
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I obviously hope never have to use the spare but it is "nice to have".

Punctures never usually happen at a convenient time.