Interesting Insurance 'Tricks'

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
LesThAn<

Post by LesThAn< »

Having spent far too much time trying to find insurance last week I have discovered some interesting and some shocking things. I needed one main requirement - the ability to spend more than 90 days abroad in a year. So, in no particular order:

(43yo male, 15 yr NCD, clean licence held for 25 yrs, London address, 9,000 miles/yr)

• My premium went down when I added my wife, who has only had her licence for six years, as a named driver
  • Not all policies insure the sunroof
  • Not all policies classify the sunroof under the 'windscreen' section offering lower excess and no impact on no claims
  • Most policies only offer 'third party' cover when abroad, even if you have fully comprehensive (some charge extra to 'upgrade' to fully comp. abroad)
  • Changing the start date makes a huge difference to the premium, especially >21 days before start date
  • Most interestingly, getting a quote from the same insurer on different days (giving exactly the same info) can make a significant difference
  • It was more expensive to tell them I have parking sensors... more!!! I even called and asked why I will pay £32 more to insure a car that is fitted with a device that should reduce the chance of me needing to make a claim. They had no answer.

I had quotes ranging from £733 to >£2,000. I settled with LV= for £1065.90 but should get a £75 Amazon voucher for linking through 'money saving expert dot com'.

The £733 quote was through esure. Great price but... only the actual windscreen is covered under the windscreen section. As far as I can tell the sunroof isn't insured at all. For the windscreen, if I want to use my own repairer (Porsche), they would limit the cover to £150 which wouldn't go very far. And, I'd have to spend about £250 extra a year to get full cover abroad and would only be limited to 90 days.

With LV= All glass is covered under the 'windscreen' section and if I elect for my own repairer then I just pay a slightly higher excess. I have fully comp cover in Europe for up to 180 days.

And to get the best offer I actually got four separate quotes on four separate days and just used the cheapest one. It made about £160 difference just getting fresh quotes a couple of times a day over a few days!

Anyway, I suspect some of this is fairly common knowledge, and some probably only had a significant impact on an expensive London address policy, but I just thought I'd share my experiences.

Short story, plan ahead, shop around, don't take the first quote, check another day. Most importantly... read the policy wording very carefully.

<

Col M

Post by Col M »

Yes all insurers seem to work on parking sensors making bumpers more expensive...just adding to the cost of repair.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Quote: "Changing the start date makes a huge difference to the premium, especially >21 days before start date"

Did pushing it out more than 3 weeks push the price up or reduce it? By what percentage?

I found years back that Admiral charged more if the car was garaged than on the drive/street. Could only guess drivers might damage their cars putting it in the garage (or things could fall on the car)
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
GWL

Post by GWL »

LesThAn< wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm My premium went down when I added my wife, who has only had her licence for six years, as a named driver
I was made aware of this a few years ago. I had to speak to an insurance company for a quote and their advisor suggested I add my wife on the cover - and the cost came down.

When getting quotes for my kids when they got their first cars, I put myself and wife as additional named drivers on their policies and that brought the cost down a lot for them.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

GWL wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:20 pm
LesThAn< wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm My premium went down when I added my wife, who has only had her licence for six years, as a named driver
I was made aware of this a few years ago. I had to speak to an insurance company for a quote and their advisor suggested I add my wife on the cover - and the cost came down.

When getting quotes for my kids when they got their first cars, I put myself and wife as additional named drivers on their policies and that brought the cost down a lot for them.
‘Sharing the risk’ was the term used when I worked in insurance.
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Another trick is to use one of the comparison sites to check what rates you can get when renewal time comes round. Several times in the past (not on a Macan) I’ve got a lower rate on the comparison site than the renewal amount – with the same company (More Than) and the same terms.

Also had the same thing with gas & electricity when a fixed term rate ended – got a much lower rate with Scottish Power from Moneysupermarket than Scottish Power offered me directly.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Parking sensors didn't help me last week, backed into a large piece of machinery with a rear full of grass seed blocking the view.

So many noises going off for seat belts and door not fully shut that i missed the parking sensors until the crunch!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Tim92gts wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:53 pm Parking sensors didn't help me last week, backed into a large piece of machinery with a rear full of grass seed blocking the view.

So many noises going off for seat belts and door not fully shut that i missed the parking sensors until the crunch!
Ouch, much damage?
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

jaffacake wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 am
Tim92gts wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:53 pm Parking sensors didn't help me last week, backed into a large piece of machinery with a rear full of grass seed blocking the view.

Ouch, much damage?
New door is cheapest option; luckily only the Vitara so £150 plus fitting.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab