Gen II Random disappearing Sat Nav Favs

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Interested to see if anyone else is seeing this.

I have successfully made 20 or so Sat Nav favourites from the My Porsche web page and these appear in the car when I access the Sat Nav - all good, only it’s not as they randomly appear and disappear.

I had expected once downloaded they would be available locally as an offline copy, however it appears that you must have a constant data connection to access them. I logically thought it was a data issue, but it is not as I have full LTE either using my phone, external sim or inbuilt data connection and it does it on them all at random times - mostly they do not appear when I need them - obviously. I even have the app fully connected and Amazon music happily streams.

I even tried deleting and re-entering the Porsche login, but it still does it. Anyone else seeing anything like this ?
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I've seen this, a couple of notes:

1) You need your phone connected to the car's wifi for it to work reliably.

2) The settings are saved in Comfort entry, so it's PER KEY. If my wife gets in, with her key, she gets her favourites. IF your 2nd key isn't configured, you'll get blank.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Phone is connected and reliable and I know this as I can see the icon showing connection on the PCM. I use an Android device and you only get the Amazon music icon showing when you have a solid connection.

Keys - We have 2 sets and good thought; however, we tend to only ever use my keys as rule, regardless of who is driving - me normally. If they are stored on the key then maybe it could be the key that’s the problem, I did have a previous problem with it losing settings.

I need to understand how the process works. Favs live in the Porsche cloud and your login gives access and downloads to the PCM. It appears not to create an offline copy and needs to have a connection to Porsche to display the content. I assume this is to ensure you pay for the connect service when the time comes. If the favs are stored on the key instead then maybe it’s the issue, then I don’t understand why it can be there one day and not the next as it must check periodically with the server to see if any more entries need to be downloaded.
davewf

Post by davewf »

I struggle with sending destinations from Google Maps I never seem to find them on my PCM even though Google thinks it sent them.

Anyone know where they are stored on the PCM?
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

Why can't Porsche seem to get things right with their PCM "technology" - which is
at least a generation behind everyone else's.

Well, maybe not Yugo's... (estimated 60K still in use in Serbia)
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

kmacuk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm Phone is connected and reliable and I know this as I can see the icon showing connection on the PCM. I use an Android device and you only get the Amazon music icon showing when you have a solid connection.

Keys - We have 2 sets and good thought; however, we tend to only ever use my keys as rule, regardless of who is driving - me normally. If they are stored on the key then maybe it could be the key that’s the problem, I did have a previous problem with it losing settings.

I need to understand how the process works. Favs live in the Porsche cloud and your login gives access and downloads to the PCM. It appears not to create an offline copy and needs to have a connection to Porsche to display the content. I assume this is to ensure you pay for the connect service when the time comes. If the favs are stored on the key instead then maybe it’s the issue, then I don’t understand why it can be there one day and not the next as it must check periodically with the server to see if any more entries need to be downloaded.
Just to clarify how it works for us - we're Android too.

She has a Porsche Connect login online. On there you can configure your favs, RSS feeds etc.
She unlocks the car with her key.
PCM up and running she connects her phone to the car WiFi Access Point.
She logs in to Porsche Connect using her phone
PCM displays her favs, feeds etc.
She leaves the car and locks up.

I unlock the car with my key.
PCM up and running I connect my phone to the car's WiFi Access Point.
I'm prompted to login to Porsche Connect - my key hasn't been logged in before.
I login to Porsche Connect using my ID - we have separate username/password with Porsche.
PCM displays my favs, feeds etc.

Each time I unlock the car with my key, I see my favs.

Worth noting that my phone to car WiFi connection is typically a bit messy as I can connect to the home WiFi from the driveway. My phone is usually connected to the house and I have to manually switch WiFi connection before things work as intended.

Edit to add - nothing is stored on any key. You don't save things to a key. Your key has a unique identity and the car recognises that key. The "key settings" are stored in the car, and can be wiped/lost. The key doesn't know your seat position, the car does - the car just knows who opened the door and acts accordingly. It works on who opens the door, not who starts the ignition.
---

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

jaffacake wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 pm
kmacuk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 pm Phone is connected and reliable and I know this as I can see the icon showing connection on the PCM. I use an Android device and you only get the Amazon music icon showing when you have a solid connection.

Just to clarify how it works for us - we're Android too.

She has a Porsche Connect login online. On there you can configure your favs, RSS feeds etc.
She unlocks the car with her key.
PCM up and running she connects her phone to the car WiFi Access Point.
She logs in to Porsche Connect using her phone
PCM displays her favs, feeds etc.
She leaves the car and locks up.

I unlock the car with my key.
PCM up and running I connect my phone to the car's WiFi Access Point.
I'm prompted to login to Porsche Connect - my key hasn't been logged in before.
I login to Porsche Connect using my ID - we have separate username/password with Porsche.
PCM displays my favs, feeds etc.

Each time I unlock the car with my key, I see my favs.

Worth noting that my phone to car WiFi connection is typically a bit messy as I can connect to the home WiFi from the driveway. My phone is usually connected to the house and I have to manually switch WiFi connection before things work as intended.

Edit to add - nothing is stored on any key. You don't save things to a key. Your key has a unique identity and the car recognises that key. The "key settings" are stored in the car, and can be wiped/lost. The key doesn't know your seat position, the car does - the car just knows who opened the door and acts accordingly. It works on who opens the door, not who starts the ignition.
Hi

Key - I suspected this did not actually save data, so what you indicate makes much more sense.

How I use - much easier than you detail and could be down to improvements in the new PCM.

My phone has the PCM app running in the background with stored credentials. I fought with the phone connect app for weeks to get it working.
My car WiFi is stored on my phone and it too stays connected to the home WiFi until I drive far enough away, it then automatically connects to the car.
Once the phone connects to via Bluetooth it shares the data connection
The 4 dots appear in the PCM to confirm the Porsche connect is working (My phone is still in my pocket) I can access the Amazon music app and stream.
The PCM has my Porsche connect credentials stored and shows connected and active. It is also linked to my phone for auto login.
I have LTE and passengers can use the hotspot and everything works perfectly.

I still have no access to the Nav favourites (not even home or work defaults, both blank). in fact, it has failed all week so far.

Today I tried some more troubleshooting:

If I open the connect phone app I can see successful connection to the are WiFi and I can see all of the favs in the app, that should be on the PCM
I changed the Internet data access from my phone to the inbuilt sim then to my external sim - all the same - no favs.
I can enter post odes and get the addresses I need so it does navigate.
I have started to try a work around by adding full postal addresses to my contacts, but even that is flaky, but I have maybe 50% working this way.

I am going to have to delete the Porsche connect login credentials and setup again with the pairing code etc and then I am out of ideas.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Screenshot_20200917-221243.jpg

Yes, I have the app too, doesn't work without I don't think.

Whilst the face-lift model has a bigger screen, I think the underlying tech is pretty much the same - certainly aren't any other new apps - but obviously it rund on new software so it could be a bit buggy.

I know ours isn't perfect, but it mainly seems to be confusion from having both of us in the car with both our phones etc.

They certainly could have made it a simpler implementation.
---

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Yes, I have the app too, doesn't work without I don't think.

Whilst the face-lift model has a bigger screen, I think the underlying tech is pretty much the same - certainly aren't any other new apps - but obviously it rund on new software so it could be a bit buggy.

I know ours isn't perfect, but it mainly seems to be confusion from having both of us in the car with both our phones etc.

They certainly could have made it a simpler implementation.
Update:

The new screen looks cool and in theory, like phones should be an upgrade, however its not user freindly and having to use your left hand makes it all the more impracticle. Gen II with buttons I think will be more sought after than those on the "upgraded" face lift model.

Today there was aa Android connect app update. I applied it and all of my favs disappeared from the cloud and the phone app.

I logged into My Porsche on my laptop and started to re-add the missing favs I could remember/find until I had around 15 or so.

Out to the car and after 2 mons everything appeared. Based on this I assume that the phone app is the issue. Its likely that it transfers the favs from the phone to the PCM and up to the cloud, but not certain as it could just as easily go phone--cloud---PCM.

Anyway 2 days since the update I have been in the car several times and its consistently working - so far.

I have a new Android phone and OS, which could be a factor. Probably if I defected to Apple, I would see none of these problems, but I like my Android.

I will not update the app now it’s working as its more than likely the next update will break it and or delete all my Favs again.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I’m having exactly the same problem of not being able to see my saved Favourite destinations in my PCM, unless my iPhone is connected to my car....it’s very annoying!! ☹️☹️
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon