Help Please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Richyd2000

Post by Richyd2000 »

Hi all, is there anyone living in or around Nottinghamshire who could help me please? My rear wheel needs refurbishing so I’ll need a spare for a few days to keep me on the road. I’ve tried to buy a cheap old one without success so does anyone out there have one I could borrow or buy maybe? The wheel is the 21” option but it doesn’t matter if it’s smaller than this (I assume there’s nothing dangerous doing this is there?)
Cheers

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I've heard good things about these guys...

https://www.exelwheels.co.uk/Wheel-Refurb.html

They loan wheels while work is carried out.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Richyd2000 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 pm Hi all, is there anyone living in or around Nottinghamshire who could help me please? My rear wheel needs refurbishing so I’ll need a spare for a few days to keep me on the road. I’ve tried to buy a cheap old one without success so does anyone out there have one I could borrow or buy maybe? The wheel is the 21” option but it doesn’t matter if it’s smaller than this (I assume there’s nothing dangerous doing this is there?)
Cheers
Don’t do that! There is a reason Porsche specify no more than 30% difference in tread depth across an axle. Apart from any safety considerations the speed difference of the two wheels could damage the transmission system.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

How does that work with a collapsable spare wheel then? Or is that part of the max 50mph and mileage limit?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm How does that work with a collapsable spare wheel then? Or is that part of the max 50mph and mileage limit?
The collapsible wheel is smaller, but the profile makes up for the difference.

I assume the OP was looking at a smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre to match the diameter of his 21"

We have a Cayman on 20" wheels and 18" winters - physical diameter is the same so one of our winters could be used as a spare in this example.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

kmacuk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm
bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm How does that work with a collapsable spare wheel then? Or is that part of the max 50mph and mileage limit?

I assume the OP was looking at a smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre to match the diameter of his 21"

We have a Cayman on 20" wheels and 18" winters - physical diameter is the same so one of our winters could be used as a spare in this example.
Yes, maybe so if the rolling radius is the same, but Porsche also recommend same tyre make and type all round. Perhaps not critical for some people, but I’m sure the insurance company would have something to say in the event of a claim if they found a different size wheel fitted.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:45 pm
kmacuk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Yes, maybe so if the rolling radius is the same, but Porsche also recommend same tyre make and type all round. Perhaps not critical for some people, but I’m sure the insurance company would have something to say in the event of a claim if they found a different size wheel fitted.
Agreed, but this is like a collapsible wheel, used as an emergency measure only not something you would keep for any length of time or to travel great distances.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Richyd2000

Post by Richyd2000 »

Thanks guys, Treadmark Wheels and Tyres (Nottingham) got me sorted in the end and made a great job for £105.00! This was £80 cheaper than Porsche Nottingham who would do it at their ‘cost price’ bless them.. Incidentally the wheel was still under warranty but Porsche wouldn’t replace the wheel because it had, they said, been cleaned with acid at hand car wash centres (the lacquer on the spokes had blown). Maybe they always get off the hook with this excuse? How do they know what it’s been cleaned with? Anyway, none of the other 3 wheels have had a problem so did they chuck acid at just this one then?!