Macan 3.0 S v Jag F Pace 3.0 V6S - anybody compared?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:18 am
AndyC160 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 am This is a Macan forum....I doubt anyone on here will tell you to get the jag!
But a lot of folks on the Jag forum would probably tell you to get the Macan ;)
Haha...that's true!
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

V8max

Post by V8max »

Thanks for all the replies chaps
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:18 am
AndyC160 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 am This is a Macan forum....I doubt anyone on here will tell you to get the jag!
But a lot of folks on the Jag forum would probably tell you to get the Macan ;)
Lol, I did suspect the answers would be slightly biased towards the Macan here and Wing Commander, based on the other replies here about the Jag, you might be right :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
V8max

Post by V8max »

MikeM wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:30 am If it’s only for shopping and school runs IMHO I’d get much newer, either a Tiguan 2.0 R Line Tech or a XC60 (petrol or hybrid), better build quality than the F Pace, good presence, more economical and If the Macan you are looking at is a 2014 both will definitely have better tech. Suggest you make sure the Macan has at least Bi Xenon head lights.
MikeM wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:30 am If the Macan/F-Pace is only being used for local runs then don't consider either - look at electric.

This was the route I was originally going down. I considered a Cayenne Hybrid, BMW i3, 330e - all rejected for either being too big, small or not enough range!

I then considered the Audi and VW alternatives SQ5 and Tiguan R and even though you can get 1/2 year old examples, I did not want the continual risk of worry about the car for theft/car jacking etc as it would be my wife/kids in it most of the time. (There continues to spates of thefts of S and R VAG cars - mainly for the parts and putting 30k+ in a VW, does not appeal for some reason :o )

I didn’t initially think about the F Pace and it was the new shape XC60 which was the closest contender for our requirements but then when I searched early Macan’s were falling in budget. So budget creep has taken me from sub £20k elec/hybrid cars to £25k VAG cars, to £30k+ XC60, Macan and now F Pace :lol: :lol: The 2.0 Petrol Macan should ample but even that has changed into the 3.0 Petrol :roll: I’m working on the principle of buying the best car for our budget, time will tell if this proves to be a sensible decision ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the lights, luckily the Macan I’m looking at does have the Xenons. Let’s hope it passes the 111, gets warranty added and we will be happy Macan owners. I look forward to joining in here more once we have picked up.

Thanks all
Max
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Let me throw in a wild card. Have you considered a BMW i3 (electric) ? A really fun driving experience in a running-around type of car, albeit Fiesta size and not great for long distances. When I was shopping last year I ruled it out on the grounds of cost but there are usually a few pre-registered ones on BMWs own web site with a decent discount.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

SmallWheels wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:52 pm Let me throw in a wild card. Have you considered a BMW i3 (electric) ? A really fun driving experience in a running-around type of car, albeit Fiesta size and not great for long distances. When I was shopping last year I ruled it out on the grounds of cost but there are usually a few pre-registered ones on BMWs own web site with a decent discount.
A friend has a highish spec second hand car garage and he uses an i3 that they bought in as his daily commute. It’s about a 30 mile round trip and he raves about it.

When the wife’s M2 is due for a change she does a similar commute and we’re considering going electric with hers.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Reading the above, it looks like Max has already considered and rejected the BMW i3 ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
macview19

Post by macview19 »

Having been unfortunate to own an early 3 litre diesel Fpace 2016 look at Jaguar Fpace Forum and view the posts about issues that will tell you all you want to know about Fpace. The only positive is that it is a very good looking S.U.V.and having been employed in the Motor Industry all my working life and lost count of the vehicles I have owned its a no brainer the Porsche Macan whatever model the Fpace is not in the same league as the Porsche.It is very apparent when
you look at the quality of build in the Fpace compared to the Macan.Yes I made the mistake of letting the design induce me to purchase an Fpace that mistake I wont make a second time.I am on my third Macan a diesel a GTS and the latest model Macan S and looking forward to EV model
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

macview19 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:32 pm Having been unfortunate to own an early 3 litre diesel Fpace 2016 look at Jaguar Fpace Forum and view the posts about issues that will tell you all you want to know about Fpace. The only positive is that it is a very good looking S.U.V.and having been employed in the Motor Industry all my working life and lost count of the vehicles I have owned its a no brainer the Porsche Macan whatever model the Fpace is not in the same league as the Porsche.It is very apparent when
you look at the quality of build in the Fpace compared to the Macan.Yes I made the mistake of letting the design induce me to purchase an Fpace that mistake I wont make a second time.I am on my third Macan a diesel a GTS and the latest model Macan S and looking forward to EV model
I agree with macview19's statement. I had a 2016 F-Pace 1st Edition (3-litre diesel) and it was of poor build quality and its infotainment/sat nav was plagued with problems. I let it go after 2 years and moved to a GLC 63S but this year upgraded again to a Gen2 Macan Turbo. It's the best car that I've ever owned.
V8max

Post by V8max »

mb8388 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 am
macview19 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:32 pm Having been unfortunate to own an early 3 litre diesel Fpace 2016 look at Jaguar Fpace Forum and view the posts about issues that will tell you all you want to know about Fpace. The only positive is that it is a very good looking S.U.V.and having been employed in the Motor Industry all my working life and lost count of the vehicles I have owned its a no brainer the Porsche Macan whatever model the Fpace is not in the same league as the Porsche.It is very apparent when
I agree with macview19's statement. I had a 2016 F-Pace 1st Edition (3-litre diesel) and it was of poor build quality and its infotainment/sat nav was plagued with problems. I let it go after 2 years and moved to a GLC 63S but this year upgraded again to a Gen2 Macan Turbo. It's the best car that I've ever owned.
Thanks both, certainly seems like the nail in the coffin for the F Pace on our shortlist.

We may need to revisit the i3 but I’m sure it was only a 2+2, rather than a rear bench to hold 3, which we would need to do occasionally.
NSinc

Post by NSinc »

The two absolutely don;t prepare. I test drove the F Pace before the Macan. The Jag feels plasticy and quite a few tiers below the Porsche! It's night and day.
2018 Audi RS3 480bhp (Nardo Grey)
2019 Macan S (Volcano Grey)