GTS suspension

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Calico

Post by Calico »

Is the GTS suspension as smooth and comfortable as the S suspension, in comfort mode?

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

PASM has three levels of setting. I used to drive my SD with one light on. With the GTS to get similar ride comfort, on typical UK roads, i use the no the no light on setting. SD on 19" wheels and GTS on 20". The GTS has a lower ride height and feels firmer on the road.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Not in my opinion, I had a GTS on 21” with air & PASM as a 12 week loan car and the suspension to my taste was too hard Something to do with the lowered ride height, for me it was too crashy. I have an S on 21” with air & PASM & to my taste that is the better ride. There are however plenty on here that disagree!
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Calico wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:19 pm Is the GTS suspension as smooth and comfortable as the S suspension, in comfort mode?
Quick answer here would be no.

The GTS is 15mm lower and designed for a firmer, sportier ride so comfort is less than the S on the same default mode. This is my subjective opinion: I have test driven Gen II S and GTS.

Ride comfort is very personal and lot of differing opinions on here - best if you can compare for yourself.

Personally, I like the GTS ride on 21" and normally run PASM in sport and have no air suspension. This is at odds with those who say 21" must have air.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

The GTS on steel springs sits 15mm lower than an S. There is certainly less suspension travel but I don't know if the spring rate is different. Like Steve, I've found that on air springs the GTS ride in comfort setting roughly matches that of a PASM equipped SD on steel springs in Sport setting.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Calico

Post by Calico »

Thanks for the rapid replies. I should have said that I would like the comparison with both on air suspension.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Calico wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:58 pm Thanks for the rapid replies. I should have said that I would like the comparison with both on air suspension.
Not in my opinion see my post above. That is exactly what I had.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Calico

Post by Calico »

Is there any disadvantage in the ride with air suspension with the 19" wheels as opposed to the 18" wheels?
pmg

Post by pmg »

Calico wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am Is there any disadvantage in the ride with air suspension with the 19" wheels as opposed to the 18" wheels?
Yes, but more marginal than moving from 20s to 21s.

Irrespective of air or not, the smaller the wheel the higher the tyre profile and better the ride and the less sharp the handling. Air improves ride and comparative effect on handling debatable as highly dependant on road surface. On rough road surface, air may improve handling but on very smooth surfaces extra float may produce a negative effect.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8