Macan as a family car

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

I’ve had a macan for 2 yrs since my kids were 1 and 3. It’s been perfect in terms of size and car seats fit perfectly fine.

Once the car seats are in there’s not a load of space around them (as you may find in a RR or Cayenne) but the kids don’t actually need much more space and so are perfectly comfortable.

Boot has been perfectly fine for Pram and paraphernalia even for holidays.

The cayenne (that I was going to buy before the drivability of the macan seduced me) is bigger but I haven’t once needed the extra size or regretted the decision I made. But I love driving. If you don’t, may as well get the bigger car.

James61

Post by James61 »

My kids are 2 and 5, and the Macan works. Back seats are fine for their car seats. The boot is not as big as my previous Q5 because of the sloping roofline, but I can still just about fit a couple of decent size suitcases, travel cot and a buggy that folds down pretty small

All depends on your perspective though. If you really want a Macan there’s definitely enough space to make it work with small kids. But if you really want a car with heaps of space, the Macan might not be the one. For me the Q5 just wasn’t enough of a drivers car, so I’m fine with the compromise of the Macan’s slightly smaller boot.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Plenty big enough and if your child seat doesn't fit, you bought the wrong one. It's so easy to get hung up on the marketing BS when you're having your first child.

For ease of life, you need isofix to stop messing around with seatbelts so much - all newer cars have that.

For babies, you need plenty of boot space and minimal leg room - our isofix base had a leg that went to the floor for support which was fiddly to get into smaller cars but, once it was on, no issue. Rear facing kids don't need leg room.

Older, front facing, kids like to kick the back of the seat in front. The Macan is plenty big enough not to worry about that though. At this stage you'll still be carrying lots of baby stuff, buggy etc.

Once they reach the next stage and can walk, buggies become minimal and boot space demands lesser. Their feet still won't touch the floor though, so all good. Macan rear seats shouldn't be a challenge until they're nearly 6ft tall.

You don't need a lie flat car seat. I understand the claimed benefits, but your child won't be in it for long enough - you'll be stopping to take breaks and feed/change them. Sure, some people buy non-flat car seats that fit on the travel system wheels and push their babies around the shops all day in it. Not ideal and we bought a flat pram attachment to avoid this, but a flat car seat shouldn't be needed and a more upright one will me more practical in the car and provide more support in the event of an impact.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Most cars will do, as someone said above, kids fit in a 205!
When I got the Macan, kids were 5 & 8, ample room for them in the back and even the occasional dinky adult between the car seats. When the kids we younger I had an S4 Avant, back seat space was similar but slightly tighter. Boot size slightly larger but the only day to day difference was the lower loading lip in the s4’s boot, which would make loading prams etc. Get a strip of ppf on the loading lip to stop it getting scuffed.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Having recently changed from an Audi SQ5 I can confirm the Macan has less boot space and rear passenger space...just. The SQ5 was also smaller than the Jag FPace!....but all are more than big enough if you are sensible! Usual story, the more space you have, the more stuff you will put in it!

My Jag FType convertible has the silliest boot ever...aka the TopGear clip where Jeremy C put one serving pots of jam in it....but me and the Mrs have been away for plenty of long weekends with bags in the boot!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I transport my Grandson around in a pram/carry/carseat thing and its ok, but I do have to wind the front passenger seat forward to get clearance. we used to have a Q5 at the same time and I was quite surprised at how poor the rear legroom in the Macan is by comparison (I know, rear axle etc....).

We now have a Mini Clubman instead of the Q5 and even that affords more space in the rear than the Macan (maybe not width wise obviously), to a point when we recently went out with friends and my pal commented on how generous the rear space is.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Guy

Post by Guy »

We had a three door golf (Mk2!) until our second was born! I actually sold it the day before my wife went into labour with our second, and ended up driving her to hospital in a VW loan car with one of those service-type plastic covers on the passenger seat.

People had a lot less baby paraphernalia back then! :roll:
Terry_Macan

Post by Terry_Macan »

As a comparison v. our Mk5 R32 Golf:

Distance from rear seat to PCM screen = 150cm Macan & 150cm Golf (no difference)
Distance from front door to front door (inside) = 154cm Macan v. 146cm Golf so 8cm difference, less than 1.5 inches per person.

Therefore negligibly larger cabin.

However the boot is significantly larger.

Much as I like the Macan it has to be one of the worst cars ever for interior size v. external size. Opposite of the Austin Maxi!
NSinc

Post by NSinc »

I actually think it's too small.... We have a one year old baby, and the car is now too small to go on any UK breaks. I've had to buy a roofbox.

It's very cramped behind the passenger seat when you have a baby / car seat behind it. My wife can only just fit comfortably. Anyone tall can;t really sit in the front seat now. Wish we went for the Cayenne!

That asid,e it's an absolutely fantastic car and we love it. Just wish it were a bit bigger!
2018 Audi RS3 480bhp (Nardo Grey)
2019 Macan S (Volcano Grey)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Terry_Macan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:17 pm As a comparison v. our Mk5 R32 Golf:

Much as I like the Macan it has to be one of the worst cars ever for interior size v. external size. Opposite of the Austin Maxi!
Maxi ‼️ They don’t make them like this anymore 😉

8CB082B0-AE0C-43D6-B2CA-B19B3BA554E4.jpeg

927AF078-B806-47D9-A2CA-D60FD94E291B.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6