Wannabe macan owner (gen1 GTS vs gen2)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Hello all. New here and not even a Macan owner yet.

Anyway I'm planning on getting rid of my F Pace 300 Sport in a bit to get a car that not only feels special but handles better than my bouncy crab like F Pace (22s on standard suspension was a bad choice)

I have disregarded a SQ5 Vorsrung because i can't get over the diesel engine and fake exhaust even though I know it can motor and is loaded with tech.

So now my plea for help and advice. I haven't had the best luck so far with a 2017 GTS being sold during negotiation and a 2019 2litre but fully loaded in crayon grey sold right before I tried to put the deposit down.

Question is, would you go for a gen 2 macan 2.0 in decent spec over a 2016/17/18 GTS in decent spec?

I'm quite a fussy bugger when it comes to features and like features such as sunroof, heated steering wheel, bose, surround view cam, adaptive cruise, air suspension. Especially when my f pace 300 sport is well equipped.

So second question, would the entertainment screen of gen1 be too archaic? FYI my f pace has digital dash and 10" screen although got to admit, I don't mind the buttons of the macan vs the full touch displays you find in many cars these days.

Finally, 3rd question. My f pace is a 300bhp 4cylinder which does 0-60 in 5.8s. Would the 2litre porsche be too slow?

Uni11

Post by Uni11 »

Me personally if I was to spend the amount that a new gen macan costs then I would stretch that little more a get the gen2 3 litre one. The tech in the new macan is not that far above the previous gen thou. My choice would still be a very late gen1 gts or turbo.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Gen2 Macan is a nice car, I am seriously considering buying Mk2 2L, but a Mk1 GTS is a hell of a car, not even bettered by the Mk2 version, so no contest IMHO.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

dangezza wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:50 pm Hello all. New here and not even a Macan owner yet.

Anyway I'm planning on getting rid of my F Pace 300 Sport in a bit to get a car that not only feels special but handles better than my bouncy crab like F Pace (22s on standard suspension was a bad choice)

Finally, 3rd question. My f pace is a 300bhp 4cylinder which does 0-60 in 5.8s. Would the 2litre porsche be too slow?
Any Macan derivative is higher quality and more rewarding than the F Pace but you will find the 2.0 litre wanting on acceleration/response by comparison. Not the case with any other model, definitely go for bigger engined gen1 and get the best you can afford.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Gen 1 GTS for me too. The looks of a 2 litre with unpainted black plastic and higher ride height would put me off. Gen 1 GTS looks fantastic especially with 21” wheels, sporty and classy. Sounds great and goes great too which again you aren’t getting with a 2.0 car.
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I guess the cars you are considering wear two different hats.
Although I’ve not driven one, the GTS.1 is a drivers car and was the pick of the range in my opinion, it’s obvious from forums like this the owners generally love them. The 2.0 Macan, updated in terms of tech and looks but..... it ain’t no drivers car!
But if modern tech is the priority maybe the 2.0 is the way forward assuming you don’t want to stretch to the 3.0 S Gen 2. You should easily be able to get a 2.0 car for a decent test drive, take it for a spin and see if has the punch & driving dynamics you seem to be looking for.
Tbh I’ve not really gelled with the so called updated tech, it looks super cool and is actually very capable but I don’t enjoy using it (nor does the misses) it’s just a tad fiddly and I find the touch screen buttons on the small side to be using when you are on the move.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Thanks all. They do wear different hats but also can be had for a similar price. Based on the PCP figures I need to get to and slight negative equity on my f pace my budget seems to work out at a £50K version. Because of this and it would be my first experience of a porsche I want to go porsche dealer route for comfort of 2 year warranty.

If I was to opt for gen1 is there a particular year I need to look for in order to get the best version of the old PCM?

Also any difference in running costs of S vs GTS apart from slight mpg difference? E.g do they have different service intervals, road tax cost?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi dangezza, welcome to the forum.

Only you know what your budget is. Have you considered a Gen 2 S? There are a number on the Porsche Approved Used site from 59K upwards. The S is faster to 100km/h than your F pace.

If you can find one, take a test drive in a Gen 2 with the standard sound system before you decide that Bose is a must have.

Good hunting.

Edit: Sorry you were posting while I composed my post. Any car first registered after April 2017 is subject to the latest tax regulations so will carry the excess road tax until six years. All Macans have a two year/20,000 mile service interval.

Your £50k budget would seem to rule out a Gen 2 S.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi,

I actually bought a 2.0 Macan as my first Porsche, but if I were in your shoes now, I’d definitely get a Gen 1 GTS in preference to a 2.0 model. As someone says, go for the best/newest GTS that your budget will allow.

There are currently 11 GTS Macans on the Porsche Approved site for £50k or less.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Interesting

I can’t believe the 2.0 would be much of a drop on your current ride so I’d consider that for the newer model.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S