Early DPF problem

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

My first Macan between 2014 and 15 had no dpf warnings. My second Macan had no warnings for first two years. Only after the first service following a software upgrade ( actually a downgrade) did I get regen warnings. A further software upgrade seemed to have resolved matters. However my third Macan had regen issues although a further software upgrade seemed to have largely resolved this. Please note that it’s not just the dpf that will clog up but the O2 sensor downstream of the cat may also carbon up causing limp mode to activate.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

I brought a 2017 diesel back in March this year. After a few weeks, during lockdown, I had the same happen. Since then it hasn't happened again. I do 1200-1600 miles a month. I would not worry too much and see if it happens again.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

GWL wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:10 pm I have to agree with MikeM on this. If your mileage since June is the norm for you (250 miles a month), you should have been advised against buying a diesel. Infact in this day and age I wouldn’t buy a diesel no matter what your mileage. As I write Honda have announced they will no longer be selling diesels. Their days are numbered - Sell it now while it still has some value.
Well said. Time to sell.
I bought a diesel once, my mate who is a BMW addict looked at me in a very strange way and said “a diesel” in disbelief and then informed that diesel is for tractors and boats not cars. I now agree.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I think a lot depends not only on he length of journey but also how hard you drive it. If you drive it hard it will heat up quickly even if mainly short journeys there is much less chance of the filter blocking
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:21 pm My first Macan between 2014 and 15 had no dpf warnings. My second Macan had no warnings for first two years. Only after the first service following a software upgrade ( actually a downgrade) did I get regen warnings. A further software upgrade seemed to have resolved matters. However my third Macan had regen issues although a further software upgrade seemed to have largely resolved this. Please note that it’s not just the dpf that will clog up but the O2 sensor downstream of the cat may also carbon up causing limp mode to activate.
Your first Macan would have been pre Euro 6 as it didn’t come in until Sept 2015. from thereon if you have a good mix of driving with frequent long term runs even if 5/6000 miles pa could be okay. It’s the users who do little other than short stop start with infrequent long higher rev/temp runs that are seriously affected. Just no sense in a diesel unless serious annual mileage is going to be the norm. Probably one of the reasons that Porsche decided to drop it as so many Porsche owners do small annual miles.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

I don't think it is the monthly or annual mileage that matters but the mileage per cold start. If 250 monthly useage was 5 50 mile runs I woud be surprised if that caused a problem. There needs to enough fully warm running to burn off the collected "soot"
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
skipper

Post by skipper »

My 2018 SD had its first service yesterday being two years old but with Covid curtailing our trips out having done only 17000 miles.

It has behaved perfectly and so it was a bit of a surprise to be told by the Porsche dealership in Hull that the DPF was holding 32 grams of carbon and required a forced regeneration costing £120 plus Vat.

Disappointed since my previous diesel Audi was 6 years old when I sold it with no DPF issues.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to prevent this happening again, please? I do frequent motorway journeys so I would like to know if I can “force” a regeneration myself.

What is the DME version that should be running in my car now, please, as I was told this would be updated but there is no mention of it on my service invoice.

It’s a shame because all things considered the Macan S diesel is a fantastic car to drive.

Many thanks.
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.
Guy

Post by Guy »

skipper wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:07 pm
What is the DME version that should be running in my car now, please, as I was told this would be updated but there is no mention of it on my service invoice.

The latest DME update (as at Aug 2020) was WKL0. It should be entered into your main book under 'Service Campaigns'.
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

GWL wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:10 pm I have to agree with MikeM on this. If your mileage since June is the norm for you (250 miles a month), you should have been advised against buying a diesel. Infact in this day and age I wouldn’t buy a diesel no matter what your mileage. As I write Honda have announced they will no longer be selling diesels. Their days are numbered - Sell it now while it still has some value.
Really?????? As someone who does 28k miles a year, an average mpg of 36 mpg v’s my recent courtesy Cayenne petrol of 19mpg....how can you write off diesel?
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
GWL

Post by GWL »

Northnoble wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:47 pm
Really?????? As someone who does 28k miles a year, an average mpg of 36 mpg v’s my recent courtesy Cayenne petrol of 19mpg....how can you write off diesel?
"Writing off Diesel" is exactly what the Car industry and the car-buying public are doing. Maybe your question should be put to them.

Here are a few extracts from this article : https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/will-cor ... iesel-car/ which reflects much of what is happening.

"Falling customer demand for diesel cars, growing environmental pressure and new emissions laws have badly hurt diesel sales in recent years, but enormous coronavirus-related financial losses could be the trigger for many car companies to kill off their diesel models sooner rather than later"

Referring to the impact of the imposition of stricter emission standards and the "Dieselgate" scandal...

"As a result, new diesel car sales are down about 60% for the first half of the year, from almost 350,000 units to just over 140,000. This is a massive collapse and, with the growing popularity of electrified cars only likely to accelerate (electric new car sales have almost tripled this year to date), it’s unlikely to recover."

"Falling demand also hurts used car values, which in turn makes financing or leasing new diesel cars more expensive, which in turn reduces demand even further. So the downward spiral continues until it simply becomes uneconomical for car companies to keep offering them."

I would think any saving in fuel cost you quote is more than negated in the plummeting value of the vehicle itself.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i