Early DPF problem

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mistyone

Post by Mistyone »

I purchase my 2017 Macan DS with 37k recorded miles from an OPC last June and have done about 1k miles since purchase with both short and long journeys. My last refuel was with top quality diesel.
Yesterday the yellow DPF light came on and the car went into limp home mode. I followed the manual advice and kept the car above 2k revs and all appears to be be back to normal.
My questions for all you experienced Macan diesel owners is -
- Do you think the OPC should have checked/cleaned the system before selling.
- Is this a "got to live with it" situation or do you think the OPC should have the car back and clean the system under warranty.
- Is it normal that when the DPF light comes on the car goes straight into limp mode.
All advice gratefully received.

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

There is not really such thing as "top quality diesel" when it comes to particulates.

Diesels aren't suited to short journeys and the DPF will clog up if you don't give it a frequent hot run. This isn't a Porsche thing, it's a diesel thing.

I see nothing wrong from the dealer here, unless you wanted them to rag it around for 100 miles before you bought it.

The yellow light limp home thing is a last resort when things go bad, measures are taken to try and correct the problem before that point but if the exhaust is never heated through the only option is to go through the regen process.

Diesels were never fit for purpose for low mileage drivers.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Check that your car has the latest updates, form what i understand one update version brought out after 'dieselgate' could result in DPF warnings. My SD has done similar mileage and has had no DPF issues. My driving is fairly mixed with short local trips and longer motorway journeys.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

There have been a number of DME software updates to deal with the dpf issues. You were lucky to be able to regen the dpf after a yellow warning and limp mode. You should normally get a grey warning light first but I once had the yellow limp mode with no prior grey light warning. As I don’t do much mileage I have now bought a Boxster T and sold the Macan.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Guy

Post by Guy »

The 3 DME software updates for the diesel, in date order, are:

WG22
AJ07
WKL0

If done, these will be listed under 'Service Campaigns' in your maintenance book.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Best advice, if your only doing low mileage stay away from Euro 6 Diesel engined vehicles. The EU standard for the level of emissions has basically made it an almost impossible task for manufacturers do have a truly effective solution for low usage vehicles. Although I would question the decision to buy a diesel in the first place 🙄. This is not your dealers fault, IMHO use it more or sell it. The worst manufacture example of how to get it wrong are with JLR, check out Discovery Sport forum and type in DPF problems. A nightmare for many 😖
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
GWL

Post by GWL »

I have to agree with MikeM on this. If your mileage since June is the norm for you (250 miles a month), you should have been advised against buying a diesel. Infact in this day and age I wouldn’t buy a diesel no matter what your mileage. As I write Honda have announced they will no longer be selling diesels. Their days are numbered - Sell it now while it still has some value.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The DPF issue occurs when the engine is not brought up to full working temperature. Doing short journeys at low speed, if done repeatedly, will bring on problems.

I had an SD and never had any problems even though I was only covering 6,000 miles p.a.
Last edited by SAC1 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Same here, only covered 20k miles in 3 years, but never had the regeneration warning occur once.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ And the same here: 24k in 5 years and no warnings.