Early DPF problem

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Lots of good points in the article but it misses the most important one....if you are doing 28k miles a year, you kill the depreciation with mileage and wear and tear in 3-4 years anyway (Less if you buy second hand).....but your running costs in the period are half. Oh and you spend half the time queuing up to fill up!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

skipper wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:07 pm My 2018 SD had its first service yesterday being two years old but with Covid curtailing our trips out having done only 17000 miles.

It has behaved perfectly and so it was a bit of a surprise to be told by the Porsche dealership in Hull that the DPF was holding 32 grams of carbon and required a forced regeneration costing £120 plus Vat.

Disappointed since my previous diesel Audi was 6 years old when I sold it with no DPF issues.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to prevent this happening again, please? I do frequent motorway journeys so I would like to know if I can “force” a regeneration myself.

What is the DME version that should be running in my car now, please, as I was told this would be updated but there is no mention of it on my service invoice.

It’s a shame because all things considered the Macan S diesel is a fantastic car to drive.

Many thanks.
I ran an SD for 3 years and only doing circa 6 000 miles p.a.. I never had any DPF issues. Just one AdBlue fill up in the first 9,000 miles and then a top up at the first service at 2 years old.

I always ensured that the engine got up to full working temperature. I only used premium BP fuel. I averaged 36 mpg over the 3 years with a low of 31 and a high of 48 mpg.

The anti-diesel swing is affecting all diesel car sales. Especially new ones and is reflected in residual values, HP and PCP rates. Company cars and Benefit in Kind tax rules are pushing business users into electric assisted petrol engines and to a lesser extent full electric car choices.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Re: Early DPF problem
Post by GWL » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:10 pm

I have to agree with MikeM on this. If your mileage since June is the norm for you (250 miles a month), you should have been advised against buying a diesel. Infact in this day and age I wouldn’t buy a diesel no matter what your mileage. As I write Honda have announced they will no longer be selling diesels. Their days are numbered - Sell it now while it still has some value.
Current car : Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
Previous : BMW X1 (F48), BMW M135i
and in the same announcement Honda also stated they would stop selling Petrol only cars in 2022. Times are a changing.
pmg

Post by pmg »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:37 am
skipper wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:07 pm

I ran an SD for 3 years and only doing circa 6 000 miles p.a.. I never had any DPF issues. Just one AdBlue fill up in the first 9,000 miles and then a top up at the first service at 2 years old.

I always ensured that the engine got up to full working temperature. I only used premium BP fuel. I averaged 36 mpg over the 3 years with a low of 31 and a high of 48 mpg.

The anti-diesel swing is affecting all diesel car sales. Especially new ones and is reflected in residual values, HP and PCP rates. Company cars and Benefit in Kind tax rules are pushing business users into electric assisted petrol engines and to a lesser extent full electric car choices.
Always ensuring engine up to fully working temperature is very much the key. I believe this applies equally to petrol vehicles. Just look at the number of reports during lockdown one of Macan Gen 2 S owners who have had very short periods to 1st oil change due to short runs. With the oil service sensor looking at oil condition, it is critical that contaminants created by a cold start-up are cleared by higher temperatures.

I do wonder if Plug-In hybrids owners with commutes just a bit longer than battery capacity permits pure electric running will find issues develop. It cannot be good for a petrol engine to be used intermittently throughout a journey thereby never reaching full operating temperature. Petrol particle filters have last problems than DPF's but they will have problems if the engine rarely reaches full operating temperature
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8