20 inch RS SPYDER WHEELS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
steve w

Post by steve w »

ClapKeep changing mind on which wheels to speck either the 20 inch Sports Design or the RS Spyder wheels,just concerned about the difficulty in keeping the Spyder wheels clean as I don't like dirty wheels they spoil the whole look of any car,also noticed on the Posche configurator that the tyres on the Sorts Design wheels are 265 front and 295 rear but on the Spyders they are narrower 235 front and 265 rears can anyone who has either of these wheels advise on keeping them clean and confirm if the Spyder wheels have narrower tyres,dont want the tyres to look skinny and spoil the look of the car.

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

The spyders aren't to bad to keep clean and because they are painted dark grey on the inside of each spoke that tends to hide the dirt a lot better than just plain silver.

I chose them over the other wheels on offer because I though they suited the car better than the others and I wanted to try the all season tyres which to date have been pretty good.

Miopyk2014-11-21 21:27:09
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
steve w

Post by steve w »

Miopyk
Thanks for that what about the tyre size are Spyder tyres narrower than the Sports Design.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Both 20" wheels are the same spec:
Front: 9 J x 20 with tyres 265/45 R 20 Rear: 10 J x 20 with tyres 295/40 R 20
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Hi Steve W. I went for the RS Spyders on my Macan and they are really not that hard to clean. I think they look worse than they are to clean, if you know what I mean. It takes me between 1 - 2 minutes per wheel to clean (is it slightly sad that I know how long per wheel it takes?). Like has been mentioned, the RS spyders are 2 tone diamond cut alloys, so the fronts are traditional silver alloy, but the sides of the spokes are a graphite like colour, which hide the dirt a bit. My advise would be, for any wheel, is seal the wheel when you first get the car. I used Gtechniq C5 wheel armour (brilliant stuff). It does not stop the wheels getting dirty, it stops the brake dust bonding to the alloy, which is what makes them easy to clean. I've had the car 6 months now, and they are looking as new still. Jet wash rinse, wheel woollie or microfibre mitt with car wash, jet wash rinse, (dry if I have time) job done. Choose what you like the look of.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Thanks gor the tip ger..im off to get the gtechniq c5 for my rs spiders tomorrow ..I have a winters set that are just over a week old so are in need of a thorough clean and apply the armour so thanks for your method
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
steve w

Post by steve w »

Guys thankyou for your info on the wheels I prefer the Spyder rims but did not want to become a slave to keep them looking good.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Guys thankyou for your info on the wheels I prefer the Spyder rims but did not want to become a slave to keep them looking good.
go for it steve the macan design wheel were my first choice for winter wheels but my opc had spyders instock with michelin alpin tyres £760 less than a set of sd wheels and alpins ,, but the sd wheels are so easy to keep clean and from a distance because they are so bright look huge on the macan.. result.. jonmacan2014-11-22 19:48:51
Spud

Post by Spud »

Just reading people's comments about Gtechniq C5 so looked it up and found this comment "Allow coating to cure for 12 hours before getting wet. C5 is not recommended for polished rims that are used in countries that salt roads for ice prevention." Not knowing about these things would appreciate any comments
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Interesting spud at present I use auto glym alloy guard so will check that out..thanks