Quick wifi zone question

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
adam b

Post by adam b »

Car is 2017 turbo with Connect plus

I bought it two years old and so the free 2 years of Connect features expired.

I didn’t bother to renew and instead night a 3 24gb data only SIM and been using that every since (one year). Internet worked fine off that in the car.

Does anyone know how you check how much data is left?

Car had first MOT last week and I thought I would treat myself. So paid £140 for Connect app services and another £100 for “Navigation Info Pack” to get the google maps, satnav updates etc
I didn’t want the Vodafone tracker for another £150 or whatever.

Removed 3 sim card and internet doesn’t now work, thought it would just come on.

I will call the OPC but before I do thought I would check here so I don’t sound like a complete numpty.

Surely one of the two things I bought should switch in the internal SIM? How do I connect it to my phone, I didn’t see Porsche come up when I searched for networks.
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Hi - in a 2017 (Gen 1 car) there is no internal SIM. The connect services are accessed through the SIM you insert, eg you can turn on real time traffic.

To check how much data you have left, connect to the hotspot on your phone and then visit the 3 website.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
adam b

Post by adam b »

thank you - that was my confusion then

So did Porsche supply an unlimited data card with a new car that expired after 24 months?

and thereafter you have to pay for your own SIM card even after shelling out £200 per year?
adam b

Post by adam b »

also many references here to "Porsche in built SIM" and this was back in mid 2019 from people with Gen 1 cars

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8737&p=180787&hilit=sim#p180787
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I have a Gen 1 Turbo with Connect+ registered in March 2018 - it has the embedded sim card, as well as a sim slot.

You access the settings by touching the screen in the bottom left where it says LTE or similar. In your case you probably have a network disconnected logo.

The 2017 model may be different but on mine there are clearly 3 choices, the embedded sim, an external sim in the slot, or access over bluetooth via a compatible phone.

Hope that helps, fire back if you have any more questions.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I should add that when you pay for the connect services, you don't need to buy a data plan. The Google, Petrol Prices etc all work without the data plan - they are effectively "free" data. No real need to have your phone connected.

To use the built in Wi-Fi access point, you need a data plan, an external SIM, or a bluetooth link to share phone data.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
adam b

Post by adam b »

aha thanks jaffa, that is very helpful. Can I please confirm, while I wait for OPC to call me back:

1. I paid £119 for "Navigation and Infotainment Services" So that should provide google maps, real-time traffic data, downloading of updated satnav maps, petrol prices, weather and a few other bits?

2. But that does not include wifi zone in car,, for which I still need my own SIM card plugged into the slot (or pair with my phone and use my data phone plan on phone)?

3. Any idea what I paid £107.50 for to "activate Porsche Connect"?
pmg

Post by pmg »

adam b wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:43 pm aha thanks jaffa, that is very helpful. Can I please confirm, while I wait for OPC to call me back:

1. I paid £119 for "Navigation and Infotainment Services" So that should provide google maps, real-time traffic data, downloading of updated satnav maps, petrol prices, weather and a few other bits?

2. But that does not include wifi zone in car,, for which I still need my own SIM card plugged into the slot (or pair with my phone and use my data phone plan on phone)?

3. Any idea what I paid £107.50 for to "activate Porsche Connect"?
3) means the Porsche Connect app works and gives you some remote access to car data, eg location, tyre pressures, lock status service due info etc

On a Gen2 car ") correct not sure for all years Gen1's 1) I think is correct
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
adam b

Post by adam b »

thanks pmg

just had a call with Vodafone telling me my Car Connect app services (location, mileage, lock car etc) is due to expire in a week and costs £99

I think OPC has screwed up and charged me but not updated Vodafone correctly
pmg

Post by pmg »

adam b wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:10 pm thanks pmg

just had a call with Vodafone telling me my Car Connect app services (location, mileage, lock car etc) is due to expire in a week and costs £99

I think OPC has screwed up and charged me but not updated Vodafone correctly
Sorry, I am having doubts and may have got it wrong and fallen into the "Car Connect" and "Connect" differentiation trap. Porsche being Porsche may well if a break in service impose a reconnection charge for "Connect" services (Nav, Google etc) as well as an annual charge. My own experience is for Car Connect services is to deal with Vodafone direct
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8