Quick wifi zone question

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

There is a charge for connect services, the remote/app features are extra. Tracker is also an extra charge - I pay for all three, but only two different payments.

OPC isn't very good at sorting this, I negotiated this stuff as part of my purchase but, ultimately, he just took the money off the purchase price as he couldn't invoice me for it and I had to pay direct to Vodafone.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

For info the 24GB 24 months SIM from 3 is on offer at Amazon today for £36. Normally £45

I've just checked on My3 - I've used a whopping 2.5GB in 18 months including map updates over the wire. So 24GB is tons
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:05 pm
adam b wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:43 pm aha thanks jaffa, that is very helpful. Can I please confirm, while I wait for OPC to call me back:

1. I paid £119 for "Navigation and Infotainment Services" So that should provide google maps, real-time traffic data, downloading of updated satnav maps, petrol prices, weather and a few other bits?

2. But that does not include wifi zone in car,, for which I still need my own SIM card plugged into the slot (or pair with my phone and use my data phone plan on phone)?

3. Any idea what I paid £107.50 for to "activate Porsche Connect"?
3) means the Porsche Connect app works and gives you some remote access to car data, eg location, tyre pressures, lock status service due info etc

On a Gen2 car ") correct not sure for all years Gen1's 1) I think is correct
Sadly there's a lot of misinformation and confusion in this thread, which is not surprising, given the way Porsche have set this system up. Your car does have a built in SIM, it just needs the eight digit activation code, which you will be given, if you haven't already. You use this to link your Porsche ID to use the services in the car. Those services are also shown when you log in to the My Porsche website. Here you will see what data you have available. Initially there was a free amount but now you may have to pay for it. This is the data allowance you use in the car's wifi - the alternative is to use your own data SIM. Note this is not what the car uses to give you Navigation Services, which you have already paid for. And yes, Porsche Connect is separate, this is what you use with your phone to see various status items on the car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

On my Dec 17 car that I have just purchased, I signed up to My Porsche and received the code, everything works, news weather etc., through the built in sim and it shows I have 2 years free map updates on my services.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

JurassicMacan wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:36 am On my Dec 17 car that I have just purchased, I signed up to My Porsche and received the code, everything works, news weather etc., through the built in sim and it shows I have 2 years free map updates on my services.
Did you get any data allowance included? If not, you may have seen the posts recommending data Sims, which are much cheaper than Porsche charges for data! I’m using a 3 Sim in the 911 at the moment.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

To be honest I am not sure🤔
I dont use my phone for data services very often due to my O2 contract being data limited so it's mainly turned off.
However all the services are working, news weather etc.
I haven't paid anything to Porsche for the sim.

All very confusing.
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

This has got me thinking!
Is the system just downloading the news, weather, maps etc., when my phone is in range of my home WiFi?
Heck Porsche this is confusing!
pmg

Post by pmg »

I cant speak for Gen1 cars, but on Gen 2 cars you set by the device manager what SIM is used for what, built-in , separate sim or phone. As I use a USB for music and do not stream music or use the in-car wifi, I have left the built-in Sim to run the Nav and Connect services. My understanding is there is no data limit on this and I only need to buy a data allowance/separate sim if I stream music or use in-car wifi
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Just checked, I don't have any data on the inbeded sim, yet its picking up news and weather which is bang up to date. My phone data is off?
Does it pick up data from WiFi hotspots?
adam b

Post by adam b »

Just to close the loop on this for other users baffled by the ridiculously complicated and expensive Connect stuff.

I know I would have found this useful to have in one place!

This is for a March 2017 gen 1 turbo with £800! Connect+ option

The £107.50 I mentioned above, was the (joke) labour charge to simply move Connect+ to me from original owner.

Connect+ gives you for free:

Apple® CarPlay including Siri® voice recognition software, enabling you to use the apps of your iPhone® even when
you’re on the move
LTE telephone module with SIM card reader for simplified access to telephone functions on the move and optimised
voice quality during calls
Porsche Connect app for transferring navigation destinations from your smartphone to the vehicle, for displaying
calendar events in your smartphone on PCM and for streaming music via Internet radio or music apps
Smartphone compartment in centre console for optimised reception and battery-saving operation (still yet to understand if this works just by putting phone in compartment, or if you need to plug into USB)

Other Connect+ features which require the £119 "Navigation and Infotainment Services" (after free 2 years) to work. These work via the internal SIM in the car.
Real-time traffic information with live indication of current traffic situation by green, yellow and red colour markings
and featuring dynamic route recalculation
GOOGLE® Earth and GOOGLE® Street View for visualising routes and places by means of 360° views and satellite
imagery
Online updates to satnav maps (limited to a certain number of regions per year, eg Southern UK is one region

Other Connect+ features which require a data SIM in the slot or using your smart phone as a hotspot (not internal SIM):
Wireless Internet access for use of WiFi-enabled client devices, e.g. tablets, laptops or smartphones inside the vehicle

Vodafone Telematics / remote serivces - another £99 per year
In conjunction with Porsche Car Connect app (not the Porsche Connect app, yet another one, so thats 3 apps including My Porsche app))
The app allows you to check on car remotely (provided you are not parked in my underground car park!)
Location of car
Beep horn or flash lights
Fold mirrors
Tells you if locked, not sure if you can lock if its not, I havent been able to
Fuel gauge / Tyre pressures
Geofence - set speed and area, assume it warns if exceeded

Vodafone Safety and Security - yet another £235 per year
Tracker services

you can buy both Vodafone services and save about £65
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)