Macan buying advice.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
AlanT12

Post by AlanT12 »

Hi Everyone,

Great to see such an active forum and I have been enjoying reading some of the threads over the past week since coming across the forum.

I am currently looking to change car and have a budget in mind along with a short list (Q5,GLC,Evoque) . I had more or less settled on a Range Rover Evoque. However my interest has peaked in the macan. I had noticed over the past few years how well the macan had held its value with no cars dropping below £30k, which in turn took it out of my price range. This is now one of the things that attracts me to the macan, the strong re-sale value plus the attractive prices on used examples.

This is where I would appreciate the advice of you guys.

I “only” have a budget of £25-30k and while many macans now fall into this category, they are of course the earlier models (2014-2015)

In short, I’m I being a dreamer and trying to squeeze myself into a car that I cannot afford, by buying an older and perhaps tired example or would purchasing a 5 year old macan represent better value for money than say a newer Q5 etc.

Thanks
Alan!

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Alternatively have you thought about Contract Hire or PCP on a new or nearly new one. That will minimise your annual running costs with either the 3 year warranty or 2 years on an OPC approved one.

These are quality well engineered cars, but expensive once out of warranty cover. Bi-annual servicing, tyres etc are costly too. But what car do you run now?

One things for sure....the Macan is way better to drive than the others in your short list. Take one out for an extended drive to prove it to yourself. ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

It'll depreciate far less than a newer Q5. Plus you could buy an external warranty or one from Porsche. They are (almost?) alone in providing extremely thorough warranties covering the car until it is 15 years old as long as they are under 125,000 miles

I had an RS4 previously. The Macan rides and steers better than the Audi and is far nicer inside.

Many more reasons for buying a Macan but there are three.........
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hi Alan,
Official Porsche Centre maintenance and repair costs can be scary, if you have a good Indy that can handle it that would be one route but if you are hoping to continue with a Porsche supplied warranty every part has to be genuine Porsche.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:58 pm Alternatively have you thought about Contract Hire or PCP on a new or nearly new one. That will minimise your annual running costs...
No, no, no! PCP will maximise your TCO. It's an absolutely terrible way to 'buy' a car. Avoid it unless you like throwing away your money. Or you don't care. It's popular, so most people either don't care or they're happy to pay a premium to have a car they cannot otherwise afford.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Advice?...............

Buy one.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

PaulR wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:35 pm
SAC1 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:58 pm Alternatively have you thought about Contract Hire or PCP on a new or nearly new one. That will minimise your annual running costs...
No, no, no! PCP will maximise your TCO. It's an absolutely terrible way to 'buy' a car. Avoid it unless you like throwing away your money. Or you don't care. It's popular, so most people either don't care or they're happy to pay a premium to have a car they cannot otherwise afford.
I bought both both of my Macans with cash. But not everyone is in that position.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
AlanT12

Post by AlanT12 »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:58 pm Alternatively have you thought about Contract Hire or PCP on a new or nearly new one. That will minimise your annual running costs with either the 3 year warranty or 2 years on an OPC approved one.

These are quality well engineered cars, but expensive once out of warranty cover. Bi-annual servicing, tyres etc are costly too. But what car do you run now?

One things for sure....the Macan is way better to drive than the others in your short list. Take one out for an extended drive to prove it to yourself. ;)
I have had PCP on my last 3 brand new cars (1 series, E class and A class) and initially set off with the intention to lease or PCP again. But to be honest I want to get out of this cycle and use cash+ car loan. This is why I am thinking the macan could be the best option as my monthly payments at my budget would be similar to the brand new Evoque on PCP, but I would have something to show for it in terms of a paid off car or cash if I sell and pay off loan.

This is where I get concerned as I don’t know if say an 8 year old macan will face similar depreciation as the cayenne has and become a money pit as it becomes older.

My A class in incomparable to the macan of course in terms of running costs but it was a purchase out of necessity at the time and I have grown to hate it even though it is only 2 years old. :D
AlanT12

Post by AlanT12 »

Madelvic wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:00 pm It'll depreciate far less than a newer Q5. Plus you could buy an external warranty or one from Porsche. They are (almost?) alone in providing extremely thorough warranties covering the car until it is 15 years old as long as they are under 125,000 miles

I had an RS4 previously. The Macan rides and steers better than the Audi and is far nicer inside.

Many more reasons for buying a Macan but there are three.........
Thank you for the advice regarding the warranty.
AlanT12

Post by AlanT12 »

MikeM wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:07 pm Hi Alan,
Official Porsche Centre maintenance and repair costs can be scary, if you have a good Indy that can handle it that would be one route but if you are hoping to continue with a Porsche supplied warranty every part has to be genuine Porsche.
Thank you Mike. I stay in Glasgow so I would be hoping someone on here could recommend me a good independent garage. That’s if I don’t bottle it and avoid buying one!