First MOT

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Our car will be due its first MOT in March and I'm wondering where to get it done.

Should I do this through a main dealer or am I good to just drop into any test station and pay the standard fee?

Any benefit for using the Porsche dealer? Will they charge the same? Will they do any other checks while there?

Any feedback welcome?

Thanks,

Ben
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

The dealer will charge you the maximum (many local garages offer a small discount....but it’s only a few quid) .... however, from my experience the Porsche dealers are prone to raising lots more advisories than most other garages. Not in itself a problem, unless of course you are planning on selling!

A few years back I had my 911T in for a service and MOT at the Porsche dealer...no issues, but about 5 advisories. 7 months later I decided to sell, so decided to get it re-mot’d, this time using a local, but reputable MOT garage.....all but 1 of the advisories miraculously disappeared. Will leave you all to draw your own conclusions.
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Any MOT station will do. My local OPC just uses a little garage around the corner. On such a new car it's just a tick box exercise.
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

My local quickfit has always found essential work that needs doing on our VW Tiguan, tyres and brakes etc. This is a car that does 2k miles per year and is well looked after and serviced annually. I don’t trust them at all tbh but it has been very convenient

So I take the Macan to the indie that sold it to me. It costs ~£50 rather than ~£30 at kwik fit but saves me unnecessary bills
Guy

Post by Guy »

I took mine to the OPC for its first MOT. They also carried out the warranty 111 point check FOC and gave me a Cayman S for the day :D
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

I would also build up a relationship with your local MoT station and preferably one that is prepared to do the brake test in the old fashioned road test way rather than on the rollers that would put additional stress on transfer boxes and diffs.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
Paul

Post by Paul »

JurassicMacan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:25 am I would also build up a relationship with your local MoT station and preferably one that is prepared to do the brake test in the old fashioned road test way rather than on the rollers that would put additional stress on transfer boxes and diffs.
???

Any station will be using rollers....the Tapley meter (if this us what you refer to) is only kept in a dusty old box for emergencies.😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If my OPC (Sutton Coldfield) is typical, the MOT will be farmed out. However, the cost charged is hardly more than that charged by any MOT station and you get a Porsche loan car for the day.

In my experience, it pays to develop a good relationship with an OPC.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Thanks for the input all.

I know a friendly MOT guy from my RX-7 ownership years, it's been a while but I should probably reacquaint him. I've not owned a car long enough to need an MOT for years!

At least he'll give me genuine feedback on tyre tread, brake pads etc
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I had a very bad experience getting my MOT done on my Boxster at my local OPC. Failed my car on brakes. Wanted £2400 to get it through its MOT inc replacing a damaged tyre. Kwik Fit replaced the tyre and passed the car with no advisory’s. Bought a pair of tyres so £280 all in

I complained to the OPC but unable to take it further due to COVID
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver