First MOT

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Paul wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:18 am
JurassicMacan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:25 am I would also build up a relationship with your local MoT station and preferably one that is prepared to do the brake test in the old fashioned road test way rather than on the rollers that would put additional stress on transfer boxes and diffs.
???

Any station will be using rollers....the Tapley meter (if this us what you refer to) is only kept in a dusty old box for emergencies.😉
My local MoT station uses the Tapley meter on my F -Type as their diffs are very succeptable, mine had a new diff in under 2 years old. He is prepared to use this process on any vehicle with LSDs etc., as was my old MoT station in Devon, so he would always get my business as be cares about his work👍
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White

pmg

Post by pmg »

To my mind, a lot depends on what route one is planning to go down for maintaining one's Macan for the future. At present next spring, my car's 3rd birthday I am planning to go down the extending warranty then OPC route so will take the vehicle into OPC for 11 1 point check and MOT on the same day. Hopefully, they do the 111point check before running car round to local MOT station!

If I was going to use an independent for service after 3rd year then local MOT station direct for MOTs
Last edited by pmg on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

pmg wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:42 am To my mind, a lot depends on what route one is planning to go down for maintaining one's Macan for the future. At present next spring, my car's 3rd birthday I am planning to go down the extending warranty then OPC route so will take the vehicle into OPC for 11 point check and MOT on the same day. Hopefully, they do the 111point check before running car round to local MOT station!

If I was going to use an independent for service after 3rd year then local MOT station direct for MOTs
Agreed, though we already have an extended warranty which is why I asked the question.

Car new in March 2018, resold to us in December 2019. Dealer performed an interim service, extended the warranty to March 2023 - 2 years added to existing date - and did the full 111 point check for approved used.

MOT due in March 2021, but is only just over a year since that used check, so not expecting any concerns. Interim and oil change service due in December 2021 and full service in March 2022 - 4 years from new. Will likely bring full service forward to Dec 2021 and reset all the maintenance clocks to run from then.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jaffacake wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:30 pm Our car will be due its first MOT in March and I'm wondering where to get it done.

Should I do this through a main dealer or am I good to just drop into any test station and pay the standard fee?

Any benefit for using the Porsche dealer? Will they charge the same? Will they do any other checks while there?

Any feedback welcome?

Thanks,

Ben
The maximum they can charge is £54.85. if your OPC does have in-house MOT facilities, unless you have high miles it should simply sail through and the benefit is that any issues under the original full manufacturer warranty can be picked up and dealt with. If that’s no concern to you book on line and take it to your local Halfords £39.85.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Uni11

Post by Uni11 »

Just to let you all know that the Opc are not doing 111 point checks to extend your warranties anymore. Thats only if you still have the car under either manufacturers warranty or extended warranty. All you now need to do is pay for the extended warranty and sign some paperwork. But I don’t know if this applies to cars out of warranty.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

My tip - get your car serviced by just before its MOT date. Then get the lowest price MOT in your area.

Currently Michelin's ATS Euromaster is one of the lowest cost. But with Groupon's offer even less:

Screenshot_20201112-194843_Chrome.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I just had mine done at an independent as Porsche could not fit it in and they told me to get it done elsewhere as it makes no difference. I also have extended warranty and the car was booked for a service a couple of weeks after the MOT was performed. No issues at all.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I was warned at the first OPC service that brakes were worn, including the discs!

To be on the safe side i took it to an independent tester a year later for first MOT; no problems.

Second service is due next September so i'll see how they perform at the recall service.

They have quoted £458 for a PDK transmission oil change when i asked for transfer box quote so i'm a little bit wary?

Started being a little bit wary nearly 30 years ago when i asked about PSD fluid change in my 928 and nobody had heard of it. A two yearly service item.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
andreas

Post by andreas »

My Macan just had its first MOT at the little garage in the next village. I booked it in as first job of the day (hoping that the guy would have clean overalls then) and told them I was a bit precious about the Pebble leather interior! Not a mark on it when they finished.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
lornemalvo

Post by lornemalvo »

Not many people are aware, but many local authorities offer MOT testing at their maintenance facilities. They do not offer repair services so have no reason to manufacture faults, as is the suspicion sometimes with some garages (although I don't believe this is common)