Autocar report 2nd facelift buttons gone Petrol Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

dangezza

Post by dangezza »

After being in my wife's new evoque with the duo screens I am a fan of the physical buttons in the macan. Not just the tactile feedback but also because on the evoque its a several step process to go into seat or climate settings.
If macan follows cayenne layout though at least its similar to physical buttons, more modern looking, but definitely more fingerprint prone.

The front bumper on the face-lift certainly looks like a happy face as I'm sure my 4 year old son would say if I showed him. Not sure how I feel about it. The design team video on the 2019 refresh was talking about the vertical flap on the side intake for a more rational and modern look. Well it looks like they've changed their mind on that.

It's not a bad looking car by any means, after all the changes are only subtle. Would be nice if they introduced a e-hybrid version but it sounds like they'll just stick to the current engine range.
pmg

Post by pmg »

dangezza wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:34 am After being in my wife's new evoque with the duo screens I am a fan of the physical buttons in the macan. Not just the tactile feedback but also because on the evoque its a several step process to go into seat or climate settings.
If macan follows cayenne layout though at least its similar to physical buttons, more modern looking, but definitely more fingerprint prone.

The front bumper on the face-lift certainly looks like a happy face as I'm sure my 4 year old son would say if I showed him. Not sure how I feel about it. The design team video on the 2019 refresh was talking about the vertical flap on the side intake for a more rational and modern look. Well it looks like they've changed their mind on that.

It's not a bad looking car by any means, after all the changes are only subtle. Would be nice if they introduced a e-hybrid version but it sounds like they'll just stick to the current engine range.
My understanding is that a Current Macan still based on early Q5 platform so not suitable for adoption to plug-in hybrid version
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

No functional improvement (I guess) just more to go wrong. Had a Cayenne Coupe eHybrid on loan for 3 weeks and it was all touch switches. Worked fine, but....... Also the fuel consumption over 4000 mile life of the Cayenne was way worse than my Macan so came away very disappointed with the Cayenne (plus it was for sale at £85k, gulp)
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

I get the issue with consumption being worse in some cases, especially if the heavy battery isn't charged each night as intended, but for now with the patchy coverage of charging points, a hybrid makes more sense than full EV for most.
I also like having a 'proper' engine with real tailpipes and knowing that for the long trip up to my parents I wouldn't be left stranded or waiting around at a charging point. In fact now, with this covid lark, a hybrid for me and my work from home situation would make sense as 99% of my trips are for school runs and visiting in laws or supermarket locally.

Hence a hybrid would be my ideal transition. If it won't be available on a macan then a may look elsewhere or consider a cayenne in future. Either that or go full on turbo/gts ICE in the new facelift before the government makes EVs the only cost effective option to go for.
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Madelvic wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:47 am No functional improvement (I guess) just more to go wrong. Had a Cayenne Coupe eHybrid on loan for 3 weeks and it was all touch switches. Worked fine, but....... Also the fuel consumption over 4000 mile life of the Cayenne was way worse than my Macan so came away very disappointed with the Cayenne (plus it was for sale at £85k, gulp)
But you are right. The prices do need to come down at some point otherwise it will never offset any fuel saving.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I think plug-in hybrids are only attractive if used for a commute that is short enough to permit pure electric running plus the odd long journey. I worry about the effects of the ice engine never getting fully warn if used a lot for journeys just beyond the EV range with the engine cutting in and out a lot. If just EV range journeys then pure EV greater sense. If long journeys predominate, then pure ICE still best until EV charging network up to scratch
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Thats the practical, sensible approach. Issue is, BMW 3 series as a case in point, the 330e is 10% benefit in kind whereas the 320d is 27%. The very same Autocar worked out the 330e would save the user £2000 a year in tax. I've read many company car users opt for the hybrid and never plug them in
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
DougL

Post by DougL »

Porsche must be losing the buttons because it saves them money. Every single road test I have read says that they prefer the physical buttons. You'd think Porsche would take heed!
Papeto

Post by Papeto »

I find this article on the web that shows the new interior and contrasts the current Macan with a render of the facelift.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/ ... 89589.html
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4