Fuel for GTS (2021)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Withy1

Post by Withy1 »

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new GTS next month. Query on fuel - I assume 97 Super Unleaded for the new 2.9 TT. Many folks on a Boxster forum see no difference in std unleaded vs Super (although I've always used Super in mi 981 S). What's the general view here?
Arrived: Macan GTS Night Blue
Staying: Boxster 981 GTS GT Silver

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I'm running a Cobb engine map that needs 98 RON minimum

Choices are Shell V Power is 99 RON as is Tesco MOMENTUM99. Previously used Costco Premium Unleaded that was 99 RON and changed to 97 RON in March 2019
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Given the money one spends on a new GTS, unless you are doing mega miles the difference between 95 Octane or something like Tesco Momentum should be insignificant.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Having spent a large wedge on my new GTS I'm not risking using inferior fuel. So it's Shell V-Power only. Filled up today @ 123.9 p per litre.

So far averaging 25.8 mpg over the first 5.5 months.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

The Esso Synergy fuel around here is afaik the only one in the mainstream without added water, so I stick with that.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Madelvic wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm I'm running a Cobb engine map that needs 98 RON minimum

Choices are Shell V Power is 99 RON as is Tesco MOMENTUM99. Previously used Costco Premium Unleaded that was 99 RON and changed to 97 RON in March 2019
Esso Synergy Supreme plus is now 99 on a National Basis and in most areas ethanol free

"What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol-free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation."

I have found since switching slightly better mpg than using Shell Vpower and at local garages it is cheaper
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

pmg wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm
Madelvic wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm I'm running a Cobb engine map that needs 98 RON minimum

Esso Synergy Supreme plus is now 99 on a National Basis and in most areas ethanol free

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol-free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation."

I have found since switching slightly better mpg than using Shell Vpower and at local garages it is cheaper
Great info thanks, similar comments on the F-Type forum with members seeming to be moving toward Esso 99. Probably my next fill👍
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Assuming this information is valid for the 2021MY as well as the 2020, inside the fuel filler you will see 98 RON (95 RON) so if you have to use 95 in an emergency you won't kill the engine. However, if you want to run on reduced power all the time then you should have ordered an S.

My local premium station is Esso so apart from two tankfills of Shell V Power in Scotland that's what my car has been fed on. Over just over 2000 miles, I've averaged 26.8 mile/g.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Just filled mine up with Esso Supreme. Pumps now showing 99 Octane.
£1.217/L.
Dorset so hopefully no Ethanol🤞
I wonder if zero ethanol would also help in reducing the pitting on exhaust tips?
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

pmg wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Yes, thanks. Agreed the Ethanol free Esso the best option, but not available where I live (Scotland)

PCGB offers a discount card for Esso fuel, but Esso is stupidly expensive where I live. Tesco Momentum 115.9p; Esso (with Ethanol) often 20p a litre more, less at the moment
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver