Fuel for GTS (2021)

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Aside from the higher octane rating, the additives in the Super Unleaded are said to be better for the engine, particularly for keeping the fuel system clean.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)

Withy1

Post by Withy1 »

SmallWheels wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm Aside from the higher octane rating, the additives in the Super Unleaded are said to be better for the engine, particularly for keeping the fuel system clean.
Great, thanks for the info.. Since I always use Super/V-Power/High octane in my 981, I'll be sticking the same in the Macan - was just a feeler for what the thinking was here :)
Arrived: Macan GTS Night Blue
Staying: Boxster 981 GTS GT Silver
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Whilst you are at it, why not wash your car in distilled water...wouldn’t want the risk of a non ph balanced water impacting the shine of your high performance paint shine!

The whole “what fuel is best” debate is the biggest con of the last decade!

Is your car highly tuned, way above manufacturers limits.....no

Do you drive everywhere at full throttle.....no, you more or less obey the speed limit

Do you like spending way more money than you need to....yes, you bought a Porsche!!!....and probably ticked the gullible box!

Stop worrying about it and actually use the car as it was intended....best thing you can do is not do lots of really short journeys, bring the car up to full temperature before over accelerating and make sure you service the car regularly and actually spend the money you saved on not buying over priced fuel on proper advanced driving lessons....other than that, enjoy it!
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Northnoble wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm Whilst you are at it, why not wash your car in distilled water...wouldn’t want the risk of a non ph balanced water impacting the shine of your high performance paint shine!

Do you drive everywhere at full throttle.....no, you more or less obey the speed limit

Do you like spending way more money than you need to....yes, you bought a Porsche!!!....and probably ticked the gullible box!

Stop worrying about it and actually use the car as it was intended....best thing you can do is not do lots of really short journeys, bring the car up to full temperature before over accelerating and make sure you service the car regularly and actually spend the money you saved on not buying over priced fuel on proper advanced driving lessons....other than that, enjoy it!
Interesting post - a mix of misconception and some very good advice. The debate over fuel is similar to that of the benefits of winter tyres. There are those who still insist that they are just another marketing con, despite the overwhelming body of respectable, validated evidence to the contrary. Likewise fuel. There is no denying the many examples of engines damaged by poor quality supermarket fuel. Ask the owners who have had to have mass air flow sensors, exhaust gas recirc valves, cylinder heads, injectors, etc, etc, replaced. Like many others, I have noticed improved running and performance from my cars and bikes when using premium fuels, and I haven't suffered any serious engine issues over many thousands of miles.

But in contrast your last paragraph gives some great advice, apart from the bit about fuel!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

“Whilst you are at it, why not wash your car in distilled water...wouldn’t want the risk of a non ph balanced water impacting the shine of your high performance paint shine!”

“Distilled Water” 🤔 Actually lots on here do 🙄😂😂😂
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Northnoble wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm Whilst you are at it, why not wash your car in distilled water...wouldn’t want the risk of a non ph balanced water impacting the shine of your high performance paint shine!

I agree with a lot of your comments. One of the perceived benefit of high octane premium fuel is at the limit of the rev range, so unless you track your car or risk a driving ban on a regular basis your most likely not going to notice any of the potential performance improvements.

There is a lot of evidence that all fuel comes from the same refinery ( only one in Scotland) and all the branded/ supermarket tankers fill from the same source - sounds plausible.

Premium fuels have additives that keep the engine clean and when you read the blurb on the suppliers web sites this is where most of the detail is rather than performance/mpg gains and I am sure they do what they say, however I am not convinced you need to use it exclusively and periodic tanksl would most likely be just as effective.

I have been driving for over 30 years in various cars and only ever used supermarket fuel. I have never experienced any fuel related issues , guess I must be lucky....

I can not measure or feel any tangible benefits using pseudo premium fuel, however psychologically I feel better adding Tesco Momentum rather than even more expensive branded premium fuel and I am ok with the extra £5 a fill. It also complies with the requirement to use 98+ octane.

Note: I do use final filtered water on my wash routine, however unlike premium fuel it does have tangible benefits for me, as I don't get water spots, even when left to dry in bright sun.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

kmacuk wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:07 am

There is a lot of evidence that all fuel comes from the same refinery ( only one in Scotland) and all the branded/ supermarket tankers fill from the same source - sounds plausible.
I'd love to see your 'evidence'. That sentence is all 'internet myth', which unfortunately these days is given more credit by the gullible than hard evidence based fact. Do you believe that all the tankers drive around the UK starting from Scotland? And what do all the other refineries produce? In fact the tankers fill at local depots where different grades of fuel is stored in separate tanks. The road tankers have compartments which are filled according to fuel grade and destination fuel station tanks.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Thought that post would get a reaction!

All petrol in Scotland (not the UK) is initially refined at Grangemouth, it is then sold on to various suppliers, who do indeed add different cleaning additives.

Do you need these additives in every tank full? I believe not, but filling up with a mixture is probably advised......or you could just buy a bottle of redex every 3 months!

Of more importance though is not filling up with “stale” fuel, as the additives and RON rating degrade over time. So, there can be a benefit in filling up at a busy, reputable Supermarket, rather than a remote Shell station where hardly any over priced VPower gets sold.

Just for reference, I work in the oil industry and the prices of our monthly crude oil off-takes depends greatly on the chemical analysis of each load (normally 650,000 barrels) and how it has settled / separated / water content / TAN value etc. No 2 barrels are the same, that’s for sure, and no 2 barrels of refined crude (petrol) are exactly the same!

We are very lucky in the UK as the “quality” of our Petrol is very good, compared to the rest of the world so we don’t need to worry too much.

So just fill up (ideally from a mixture of suppliers) and enjoy your car. If you run a highly tuned car and need 100% performance all the time because every fraction of a second counts.... then buy some higher octane fuel....or you could buy race fuel at an even higher price!!

As to the distilled water comment....thankfully living in Scotland we have decent soft water....and it rains all the time, so water marks are never an issue :D
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

MikeM wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 am “Whilst you are at it, why not wash your car in distilled water...wouldn’t want the risk of a non ph balanced water impacting the shine of your high performance paint shine!”

So is Aldi waterless wash wax not a good idea?😉😉😉
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

JurassicMacan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 pm
MikeM wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 am “Whilst you are at it, why not wash your car in distilled water...wouldn’t want the risk of a non ph balanced water impacting the shine of your high performance paint shine!”

So is Aldi waterless wash wax not a good idea?😉😉😉
😳 Waterless wash‼️ aka Wash & Scratch 😖 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6