Steering weighting

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RGS

Post by RGS »

Forgot to mention on my previous post that my Gen 2 Turbo runs on 21" 911Turbo Design wheels. I have to use full lock each time I reverse to turn and leave my drive and that's when you notice the heavier steering. Power steering plus has made a very subtle difference and the steering feels more natural to use. I guess PS Plus may have different effects depending on wheel size. But whichever way you look at it a Macan is a 2ton SUV and not a lightweight track oriented GT3 or GT4, so anything that makes driving that little bit more comfortable, I'm all for. I noticed on my latest Experience Day that the 911 that I was driving had PS Plus and it felt perfectly natural.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^ couldn't agree more. The tipping point on the Macan appears to be 20" alloys. Didn't feel I needed it on my 19" equipped SD. When testing a Gen 2 Turbo on 20" it convinced me it would be the right thing for my new GTS.

I do not feel that it corrupts the steering feel at all, but just makes low speed manouvering easier and natural.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Okay so i yesterday had fitted my !8" Macan S winter wheels and tyres, having taken off my 21" Turbo design wheels, and i don't think that there isn't much difference to the steering weighting with PS Plus. Maneuvering into parking spots it feels a bit lighter, on the move there isn't a lot of difference, but would say it's a bit lighter. At motorway speeds can't say i notice any difference.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
That’s because PAS plus only works up to 20 mph (or 20 kph..? ) No assistances other than at low manoeuvring speeds.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
NSinc

Post by NSinc »

I have power steering plus on my 2019 Macan S. I've got 21 inch wheels. I genuinely wonder if they forgot to include it, as it's still noticeably heavier than my RS3. In fact i'd say it's annoyingly heavy at manouvering speeds. Does anyone else find the steering still fairly weighty even with it? Or does it make the steering almost electric like? (As if so i've definitely not got it!)
2018 Audi RS3 480bhp (Nardo Grey)
2019 Macan S (Volcano Grey)
James61

Post by James61 »

I switched from an Audi to a Macan with PSP, and at first also thought they’d forgotten to include it, as the steering is so much weightier than the Audi’s at car park speed.

Took a few days to get used to it and now I much prefer it.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

James61 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 pm I switched from an Audi to a Macan with PSP, and at first also thought they’d forgotten to include it, as the steering is so much weightier than the Audi’s at car park speed.

Took a few days to get used to it and now I much prefer it.
This is exactly my experience after changing from an Audi Q5 to a Macan S with PSP, and I also now prefer it to the Q5.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

'Everything' esle on the road has too light steering. Porsche gets it right................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

I’m on 21s with PSP and had the same thoughts when I got mine. Certainly heavier than previous Jaguars and land rovers. It kind of reminds me of Bmw steering.
I asked for the VIN sheet from the OPC and sure enough it is listed on there.

In no way would I say it’s light in any situation but rather feels reassuringly direct and precise. Likewise I wouldn’t say it’s heavy and can do one handing manoeuvres when needed. Guess that means it’s just right.