Tyre Wear

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RAA

Post by RAA »

Just had my first Health Report for my 2019 Macan S, after the car's first service at 21,000 miles. All well, except for tyre wear.

The car came with 18" Continental ContiSport Contact tyres, which have done only 15,550 miles (my winter tyres having done the other 5,450 miles). The front tyres are averaging only 2.9mm of tread, and will need changing. Am I doing something wrong ? (The rear tyres are averaging 4.7mm)

I tend to accelerate gradually, not spinning the tyres or skidding: about 40% of my driving is in London and other town traffic; and 60% is on motorways, A and B roads, usually cruising at 50 to 70mph. Tyre pressures regularly show 33psi front and 36psi rear.

Are these Continental tyres considered good (the front tyres needing changing after only 15,550 miles) ? I am now thinking of replacing all my summer tyres with All Season Tyres, and have noted that Michelin Latitude Tour HP tyres have been recommended on other posts. What do you think ?

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Accelerate harder and the car will direct more of the torque to the rear wheels :-).

You stil have 6-7000 miles left I would say...is that bad? Town driving is probably the most wear, especially with lots of power assisted turns / parking.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Michelin Latitude Tour HP has a reputation for long life.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:30 pm Accelerate harder and the car will direct more of the torque to the rear wheels :-).

You stil have 6-7000 miles left I would say...is that bad? Town driving is probably the most wear, especially with lots of power assisted turns / parking.
Quite the opposite, it starts at the rear and is shifted to the front as needed.

My front tyres are most warn too, it's town driving, roundabouts, spirited cornering. Getting a car that weighs over 2 tonnes to change direction isn't an easy thing and can only be done by mechanical grip from the tyres.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
RAA

Post by RAA »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:39 pm Michelin Latitude Tour HP has a reputation for long life.
Yes, I thought I would give Michelin Latitude Tour HP all-season tyres a try, to replace the summer tyres, now that I've just swapped to my winter wheels & tyres. Thanks for the recommendation.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

The tyre wear indicators are at 1.6mm and there is a reason they are set at that legal limit. Your tyres are way off needing replacement? I was gutted my rears were at the markers by 21k, but the fronts were probably 2.5mm. Felt like I'd wasted money changing the fronts, but couldn't be bothered with a double trip to change in short succession.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Tyre performance, particularly in wet weather, starts to fall off before wear reaches the legal limit. Porsche recommends changing at 3mm and given the weight and performance of the Macan that seems sensible.

Just a point on Michelin Tour HP. I'm sure they're a good tyre and they carry the Porsche N rating but their speed rating is V which is below the maximum speed of the Macan (except the 2.0L). Porsche also do not recommend any all season tyres for the Macan. It's unlikely to become an issue unless the car is involved in an accident resulting from loss of grip and an insurance loss adjuster examines the tyres.

Given the OP already has a set of winter wheels, I'd recommend either Michelin Latitudes or Pirelli P-Zero summer tyres. All season tyres are a compromise so why go down that path when you've already made the investment in a second set of wheels.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^^ +1. Porsche do not list this tyre in the approvals for use on the Macan.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:43 pm ^^^^ +1. Porsche do not list this tyre in the approvals for use on the Macan.
Not on lists now, but Porsche did and N approved Latitudes HP's are still sold both in Europe and the USA and they are fitted to a lot of UK Forum members cars. I suspect the reason they were dropped is not having the snowflake symbol. Latitudes HP's cannot be used in Europe when a country requires winter tyres. All the premium tyre makers now have all season ranges that meet snowflake standard but none as yet have Porsche N approval

I do however accept if a winner wheel set already purchased, I would replace the summer set still with Summers probably Latitude Sport 3's, because any all-season tyre is a compromise, but then there are days in a typical UK winter when summers would be better and sometimes vice versa
Last edited by pmg on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Agree with you pmg.

My son has Michelin Lattitude Tour HP on his Macan SD. The originals did 42,000 miles and were removed at 3mm remaining. He replaced them with the same choice as he tows a caravan and they grip much better off tarmac than summer tyres.

We both live south of the M4/M5 and rarely get snow or even ice in the winter months. So I stay on summer tyres year round on my Macan GTS. If it's snowy, on the very few days of our winter, then I don't risk using it.

I used to change to a full set of winter tyres when I had to travel all over the UK on business. They really are amazing and the best for grip on ice and snow, even on a 2wd vehicle. Then I did work in the tyre industry, for a manufacturer, and they didn't cost me anything!

Horses for courses....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver