Getting online and setting the car up...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

My GTS arrived by pallet truck today (i.e. a truck delivering pallets, not a fork lift truck) and besides a few watermarks on the leather from a poor valet and a small scratch in the leather all is good. The problem I have is that I didn't get the "talk" on how to use all the buttons!

I think I have Porsche Connect set up, I have my phone (iPhone) connected via Bluetooth and also set it up to it will connect to the car's WiFi hotspot (even though I have no data package). I can use Amazon Music with my phone connected to the car like this (but not if my phone connects to the house WiFi). Am guessing this is more like a CarPlay type deal, where the PCM has apps on the screen that are just controlling apps on your phone and it is streaming the data from the phone to the car's display over the hotspot??

Also got the car to connect to my home WiFi when it is on the drive. In this setup, is the car playing AM through my phone (i.e. using phone data) or using the car's connection to my home WiFi?

I had planned to buy a Sim, but not sure what the car needs data for outside of the connect services (which are covered by the connect subscription). Assuming i don't need a data hotspot in the car for any reason, does the data sim have any benefit? I can't see how the car could play amazon music without my phone connected as the app doesn't show up if it isn't connected.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

How old is your car (I'd hope not new if there are marks on the leather)

Have you registered yet at My Porsche, here:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... myporsche/

Once you have you'll get an 8 digit code to connect the car to the system. A data SIM enables this connection (I imagine instead of using your home wifi). Of course this will work anywhere

This is by far the best SIM - lasts 24 months (24GB limit is more than you are ever likely to need) and can be bought for as little as £36 from Amazon (currently £43.95)

I have 12 services with my car; later cars seem to have fewer services (that doesn't make sense)

The services I've used are:

Updating the sat nav maps 'over the air'

Fuel prices to see where the cheapest fuel is nearby

Live traffic data

I've added Speed Cameras via the 'Portal Personal POIs' (and done a write up how to do it). Again is doesn't seem to work in the Gen 2 cars.

Searching for destinations using Google. It is far more accurate than Postcode searches and you can search on Business names not just addresses

With the app you can also search for places on a tablet/laptop etc at home in My Porsche and they will be available in the car

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 16.37.09.png

2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Brand spanking new ! I wasn't impressed, had I collected it then I could have raised issues there. The watermarks cleaned off, just sloppy valet. Scratch is very small, but it's there!

One problem I've found is that with my phone connected to the car's wifi hotspot (to get connect to work) it drops the 4g connection so my phone is not connected to the Internet!

As a consequence, amazon music doesn't work when I'm out in the car. It must have been using home wifi earlier (was having a play while on the drive).

So to use amazon music it appears I need a data sim in the car and have phone connected to car wifi!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Elrao wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 pm
I had planned to buy a Sim, but not sure what the car needs data for outside of the connect services (which are covered by the connect subscription). Assuming i don't need a data hotspot in the car for any reason, does the data sim have any benefit? I can't see how the car could play amazon music without my phone connected as the app doesn't show up if it isn't connected.
Only if you intend to stream music
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Thanks, yes I do plan to stream music. I had rather naïvely assumed that I could use the data on my phone to stream it (as it appears to need my phone connected to it, in order to stream it). Seems strange it needs your phone connected to the car's wifi to make the apps work (am guessing this is just a wireless connection that replaces the need for a physical USB connection); but then can't use your phone's data connection!

Maybe I need to check the settings on my phone, to make that use 4G when the internet is not available over WiFi
pmg

Post by pmg »

Elrao wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:40 pm Thanks, yes I do plan to stream music. I had rather naïvely assumed that I could use the data on my phone to stream it (as it appears to need my phone connected to it, in order to stream it). Seems strange it needs your phone connected to the car's wifi to make the apps work (am guessing this is just a wireless connection that replaces the need for a physical USB connection); but then can't use your phone's data connection!

Maybe I need to check the settings on my phone, to make that use 4G when the internet is not available over WiFi
I think if you go in to "device manager" you can control which sim is used and an option is the sim in a connected phone. I prefer to access music from a USB drive so have not got as far as testing it.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MJT147

Post by MJT147 »

Try using an Apple data cable which will then bring up Apple Car Play.

Once connected, a new Macan can connect wirelessly.

You’ll need data to stream music etc. but this is the slickest (IMO) interface.
Sapphire metallic blue
21” sport classic wheels (black)
Air suspension
Monochrome black exterior pack
Panoramic roof
Loads more!
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Elrao wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:40 pm Thanks, yes I do plan to stream music. I had rather naïvely assumed that I could use the data on my phone to stream it (as it appears to need my phone connected to it, in order to stream it). Seems strange it needs your phone connected to the car's wifi to make the apps work (am guessing this is just a wireless connection that replaces the need for a physical USB connection); but then can't use your phone's data connection!

Hi looks like you are an Android user like me? You dont need an in car data sim.

Assuming yes you can indeed use Amazon music, which is what I do. In order to do this, you need to enable RSA (remote sim access) on your mobile. Check the data connections on the PCM and ensure your phone is selected to provide data. Once you do this your phone will supply your data access, hotspot for other devices to connect to, Amazon music and the other connect apps. I have mine setup this way and it automatically connects when you get into the car (once out of range of your home WiFi), no need to remove phone from your pocket.

I had many problems, like others when I set this up in March, but now the app is more stable and works well, as long as you have good coverage.
Having Amazon music setup with offline content will minimise data usage.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

At the moment I am an iPhone user. So I have the option of CarPlay (which I think uses Bluetooth - as opposed to requiring the phone to connect to the car via WiFi).

However, I am planning a move back to Android in the near future!