Porsche Connect + Data Connection with iPhone

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Following on from my earlier post, I would like to know if anyone has managed to get their Gen 2 Macan setup so they can connect to their iPhone to use Porsche Connect Apps AND to use their iPhone as the internet connection?

It appears you need to connect the Phone to the Car's WiFi hotspot to use Porsche Connect. This is the only way I have managed to get the icon to show on the screen, and to get Amazon Music app to display on the Apps menu. However when my phone is connected to the car like this, it doesn't use 4G and so becomes disconnected from the internet.

It would appear that if you want to use your phone as the internet connection in the car you need to reverse the above, and set your phone as a hotspot and then connect the PCM to the phone via WiFi. This gets you online, but then you lose Porsche Connect and the Apps disappear.

iPhone's don't support remote sim access (rSAP), which is how the Porsche appears to try to set up the data connection via the phone. You therefore can't (as far as I can tell) use your iPhone's data connection via Bluetooth (my Volvo can ... but my Porsche can't - unless I have missed something).

So it appears that if you want to use Porsche Connect wirelessly on your iPhone to use Amazon Music, that you have to either use the embedded sim, an external sim, or be connected to a WiFi connection (which can't be the same phone you are using for Connect). This really is a design floor if you ask me!!

What it the point in having Amazon Music via your phone if you can't connect to it with your phone at the same time!

Maybe it works with a cable??

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Cheap SIMS today only, ends at Midnight

viewtopic.php?p=203570#p203570
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Madelvic wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:33 pm Cheap SIMS today only, ends at Midnight

Thanks, I ordered one this morning already - but really should not need to use one!! Very bad implementation to require the phone to connect via WiFi to the car to use Connect and to not be able to use the data connection from your phone!
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Elrao wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:02 pm
Madelvic wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:33 pm Cheap SIMS today only, ends at Midnight

Thanks, I ordered one this morning already - but really should not need to use one!! Very bad implementation to require the phone to connect via WiFi to the car to use Connect and to not be able to use the data connection from your phone!
Agreed. Porsche has done a poor job in this respect. Even worse on my previous Audi when they withdrew support entirely for the phone app. I've tried and failed to use the iPhone for a data connection in the Macan

What has worked for me is the SIM for data and Wireless Carplay with an adaptor using the phones SIM for the music but then Carplay is the default for phone etc and disables some of the PCM functionality

You could always use Bluetooth to play Amazon Music?
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Only problem with using Bluetooth to play Amazon Music, is the need to control it on your phone. I thought the Porsche had Amazon Music natively (i.e. would play direct from the PCM, with a data connection and the login etc. all setup (like Spotify does in our Volvo)), so was disappointed when I realised it needed a connection to my phone.

Not a fan of the way CarPlay takes over the whole system
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

I just listen to the radio.I can recommend Smooth uk.
DGC

Post by DGC »

Sorry I don’t understand this stuff at all . My Mercedes Me app is the biggest piece of nonsense I have had the misfortune to have had. It sends me texts and emails telling me my battery is in critical condition - 2 years of this. I’m collecting my new Macan S tomorrow and like @Rhys2004 I will just listen to the radio!
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Elrao wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:46 am Following on from my earlier post, I would like to know if anyone has managed to get their Gen 2 Macan setup so they can connect to their iPhone to use Porsche Connect Apps AND to use their iPhone as the internet connection?

It appears you need to connect the Phone to the Car's WiFi hotspot to use Porsche Connect. This is the only way I have managed to get the icon to show on the screen, and to get Amazon Music app to display on the Apps menu. However when my phone is connected to the car like this, it doesn't use 4G and so becomes disconnected from the internet.

It would appear that if you want to use your phone as the internet connection in the car you need to reverse the above, and set your phone as a hotspot and then connect the PCM to the phone via WiFi. This gets you online, but then you lose Porsche Connect and the Apps disappear.

iPhone's don't support remote sim access (rSAP), which is how the Porsche appears to try to set up the data connection via the phone. You therefore can't (as far as I can tell) use your iPhone's data connection via Bluetooth (my Volvo can ... but my Porsche can't - unless I have missed something).

So it appears that if you want to use Porsche Connect wirelessly on your iPhone to use Amazon Music, that you have to either use the embedded sim, an external sim, or be connected to a WiFi connection (which can't be the same phone you are using for Connect). This really is a design floor if you ask me!!

What it the point in having Amazon Music via your phone if you can't connect to it with your phone at the same time!

Maybe it works with a cable??
Without an Android I think you r are correct you need an external sim to make this all work with an iPhone. I meant to try making the phone a hotspot to the car, I assumed this would be the Apple work around, surprised this doesn't work with the PCM.

I looked at the Amazon music app for Android users and carplay for Apple users, Amazon HD over WiFi sounds pretty good, but the app is pretty flakey - last 2 updates I have done killed all of my sat nav favs, but it is better than it used to be. I am not a fan of carplay either, previous Audi supported it, but needed a cable and could not be bothered with that. The wireless Carplay seems to work well on my wifes iphone.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Rhys2004 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:09 pm I just listen to the radio.I can recommend Smooth uk.
👍me too. Virgin Radio in my case.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Clossie

Post by Clossie »

I did the following in my iPhone when trying to use my phone to connect to the internet whilst connected over Wi-Fi to an ODB adapter. It may be worth a try.

This is all on your iPhone...
Go to “Settings” then “WiFi”
Connect to your WiFi network (your cars Wi-Fi In this instance)
Once connected, Click the Info (i) icon next to your cars WiFi network to view network info
Make note of your IPv4 Address and Subnet Mask
Change “Configure IPv4” from “Automatic” to “Manual” and enter the IP Address and Subnet Mask you wrote down earlier.
DO NOT CONFIGURE ROUTER. The “Router” setting should be BLANK/EMPTY!
Save your changes. iOS will show “No Internet Connection” next to your WiFi device.
iOS should no longer attempt to connect to the Internet through this WiFi network and as long you are connected to your phone by Bluetooth and within the car PCM set up you have established your phone as the Data connection, Amazon Music should appear on your PCM as you are connected to the open Car Connect app on your phone by Wi-Fi (important to have the app Open) but..when you call data for streaming the PCM should revert back to the Bluetooth connection to stream... well..that’s the theory of this witch craft :-).

When I can be bothered to get out of bed this morning I shall give it a go myself. :-)