is air suspension automatic?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
marksb53

Post by marksb53 »

Guys (and girls),

Feb build of Turbo on 21's. Debating air suspension and so far as I can read, the ride / handling case is marginal. Does anyone know if the ride height automatically reduces at motorway speeds. I am trying to justify the spend. 50:50 right now!Confused

marksb532014-11-25 22:43:24

bompey

Post by bompey »

Depending on how long you plan on keeping it there could be more to go wrong than regular PASM.
I have 20's but no air on my turbo and am happy with it. Try your dealer for another test drive for one without air and see what you think.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

I am also debating air or regular PASM but more for the looks, sometimes I think the gap between air and wheel arch looks very high. I have ordered 21's but even then some of the photo's look high, how much does air lower the suspension. 21's on the configurator look great but I don't think that's for real.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
marksb53

Post by marksb53 »

Thanks. My dealer doesn't have an air equipped car to demo. I'll keep the car max 2 years and 30k miles so wouldn't expect any reliability issue or expense(famous last words). Mixed messages within dealership from, "real dynamic improvement with air" to "good if you'll be going off road." I'malso wondering what the effect of air suspension will be on residual value as This will define the real cost of ownershipmarksb532014-11-26 08:46:23
YorkshireDave

Post by YorkshireDave »

I get my car tomorrow which has air, ptv and 21's and also had a macan with air for my experience day at Silverstone two weeks ago. I think air does help the ride comfort on 21's without compromising the dynamics. It does sit 10mm lower which is the mild help to the dynamics. I intend to keep it 2-3 years and whilst the advice on residual value was you do not need to add it it will not hurt enough people will want it. Having the ability to increase ride height 40mm over a standard set up also appealed for those occasional farm track type lanes etc. It was mainly for comfort on 21's that I chose to go for it though.
Ger

Post by Ger »

I don't think anyone is going to give you the right answer, unfortunately. Depending on which review you read, or which sales person you speak to, some will say air is better, some will say standard steel is fine. Don't think there is a right or wrong. (Sorry for being so ambivalent).
I have air, and 20"s on my turbo. The air lowers automatically at speed by about 10mm I think, or you can select it to be lowed by 10mm always. I don't think it will help residuals that much, maybe a couple of hundred, but not the cost of it, but it could make it easier to sell (not that it won't be easy to sell anyway ).
I would say, day to day, with our pot-holed roads, the air gives the car a slightly more cushioned/limo like ride, and also is able to firm up really well when sport(+) is selected. If you don't select air, I don't think you will miss it, as the ride is very good anyway, the air just adds to it slightly. (Just an observation, but the Cayenne Turbo, and Panamerra Turbo, both have air as standard)
marksb53

Post by marksb53 »

Tomorrow! Going green here. Agree with your perspective although doubt mine will see more than a grass verge. Ride height reduction looks a little better too. Getting there but wish Porsche could be a little more objective / definitive other than obvious benefit of off road clearance. During your drive at Silverstone do you recall whether the car can automatically reduced ride height at speed or is it a completely manual operation?
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

Lucky man YorkshireDave, I'm sure we are all looking forward to the pics.
Enjoy your dayThumbs UpThumbs Up
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

At my PEC day, I had a diesel with Air. I raised some queries about whether it was worth it with my instructor so he took me off-site to find some rough local roads and also to see the Porsche mechanic who maintains the whole fleet at Silverstone. Car was on 20's. The local roads were very good and the mechanic said that there are fewer problems with Air suspension than steel! I was also very impressed by the lack of roll in the corners with Air whilst on the track.

I have specced Air for mine as a consequence.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Sportback

Post by Sportback »

This is a quandry for me also - I am considering the 21s and cant get a test drive on these - I am having my first test drive on Friday - the vehicle will have 20s, PASM and Steels.......I wait to see what I think however I am coming from a car with 20s lowered on coilovers so I am sure it will feel less jarring than that!

SB
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2