is air suspension automatic?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
YorkshireDave

Post by YorkshireDave »

Air lowering etc is automatically selected in sports plus. Think it is in sports mode too. Tell you more after I get it tomorrow and get some pics up though as it is black leather and jet black with aluminium trim and roof rails it is a bit of a safe combo that will not get too many of you salivating.

ALEX

Post by ALEX »

Don't you believe it we will be drooling.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
YorkshireDave

Post by YorkshireDave »

😄 Like a little kid waiting for Santa at mo got the Porsche Car Connect app in my iphone activated so can track the car real time. Says it has 3/4 tank of fuel and has done 19 miles. 19 miles! Where have they been in it?? Still.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Agree with Mistertoad.

I have done a quick calculation of the actual diameter of the wheels with tyres mounted and there is very little in it. If you go from 18" to 19" you gain at most 2mm and if you move up to 20" or 21" add another 5mm at most. The only main overwhole difference is the width of the tyres:
same for 18" and 19" : 235 at front 255 at rear
same for 20" and 21" : 265 at front 295 at rear

So visually there will be no real difference in filling the wheel arch.

It looks like lots of people here seem to consider that 20" or 21" are a must but could somebody let me know if there is a proven benefit in performance (which would make me forget the easier kerbing damage)?

I suppose it is fashion thing like Black or White cars and Privacy Glass. After spending four years driving around West Sussex like a drunken sailor to avoid potholes and sunken ironwork in a DB9 I have specced 18" S wheels on my Cayenne S. It also saves a bit of money as the VED for my 420 bhp/ 223CO2 car is £285, (first year £635} `The VED for a Cayenne S with 20" wheels and above would be £485, (first year £860)
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Mistertoad do you mean that if you chose larger wheels the VED goes up as well?

Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Mistertoad do you mean that if you chose larger wheels the VED goes up as well?

Yes. The facelift petrol Cayenne S CO2 range is 223 - 229. VED from 201 to 225 is £285. 226 to 255 is £485. 18" wheels come in under 226 and I think 20" wheels and above are 226 and over.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Parson911

Post by Parson911 »

I leave my car on the low setting then there's a nice consistent gap around the wheel arches. By comparison, it makes a standard sprung car look so jacked up they they just look wrong. It is supposed to be a sports SUV. But then that's only my opinion for what it's worth.
DNR17

Post by DNR17 »

Agree with Mistertoad.

I have done a quick calculation of the actual diameter of the wheels with tyres mounted and there is very little in it. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">If you go from 18" to 19" you gain at most 2mm and if you move up to 20" or 21" add another 5mm at most. The only main overwhole difference is the width of the tyres:</span>
same for 18" and 19" : 235 at front 255 at rear
same for 20" and 21" : 265 at front 295 at rear

So visually there will be no real difference in filling the wheel arch.

It looks like lots of people here seem to consider that 20" or 21" are a must but c<span style="line-height: 1.4;">ould somebody let me know if there is a proven benefit in performance (which would make me forget the easier </span>kerbing damage)?

I suppose it is fashion thing like Black or White cars and Privacy Glass. After spending four years driving around West Sussex like a drunken sailor to avoid potholes and sunken ironwork in a DB9 I have specced 18" S wheels on my Cayenne S. It also saves a bit of money as the VED for my 420 bhp/ 223CO2 car is <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">£285, (first year £635} `The VED for a Cayenne S with 20" wheels and above would be</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"> £485, (first year £860) </span>

The bigger wheel will have a lower profile tyre, which will have a stiffer side wall giving sharper handling. 18"s will ride pot holed roads with more comfort, but in all other conditions the drive won't be as good. 21"s will also give the impression of filling the wheel arch better, even tho the tyre circumference is the same. If it's all about comfort, I believe a 2CV rides pot holes well...
Diesel S ordered September 2014, delivery schedualled September 2015.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGVHIJ59
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

I don't think anyone is going to give you the right answer, unfortunately. Depending on which review you read, or which sales person you speak to, some will say air is better, some will say standard steel is fine. Don't think there is a right or wrong. (Sorry for being so ambivalent).
I have air, and 20"s on my turbo. The air lowers automatically at speed by about 10mm I think, or you can select it to be lowed by 10mm always. I don't think it will help residuals that much, maybe a couple of hundred, but not the cost of it, but it could make it easier to sell (not that it won't be easy to sell anyway ).
I would say, day to day, with our pot-holed roads, the air gives the car a slightly more cushioned/limo like ride, and also is able to firm up really well when sport(+) is selected. If you don't select air, I don't think you will miss it, as the ride is very good anyway, the air just adds to it slightly. (Just an observation, but the Cayenne Turbo, and Panamerra Turbo, both have air as standard)
ger ,, tomorrow, tomorrow, really tomorrow ?? you lucky thing please report on the ptv,, I think you will notice whatever speed ,, jonmacan2014-11-26 18:37:30
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I think this thing about large wheels is just what you get used to. I think it looks wrong on an SUV and will be speccing 19s. I asked my instructor at the Porsche Experience Centre what he thought the difference in lap time would be around the handling circuit with 18s vs the 20s we were on. He suggested "about 1/10th second".

Since I won't be driving anywhere near the limit on public roads, this difference in performance (if there is one) seems irrelevant. I'm getting 19's because they should give a better ride, have lighter steering, be quieter and be cheaper to replace.

I suspect lots of people are driving around cars on very low profile tyres and getting a poor ride. Certainly the Cayenne I tried with air and 21's was horrible.

Of course, everyone is free to buy what they think looks best, but since I've never particularly admired cars with very low profile tyres, I don't get it. As someone on here said, Formula One cars don't have low-profile tyres.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015