S or GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
gts964

Post by gts964 »

Vote here for Gen 1 GTS - save yourself £20K over a Gen 2 GTS and buy yourself a nice little Boxster with the spare cash and still have some left over for hotel money in France next summer. The Gen 1 GTS is superb and the exhaust note unmatched by the Gen 2. Yes, Gen 2 screen is a little nicer, but hardly worth an additional 20K.

pmg

Post by pmg »

Tracky wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:38 am The GTS wasn't available when we ordered our Gen 2 S (much like the 981S she had before)

Spec for spec the prices are not dissimilar given the options I loaded on ours so I'm really not fussed and given it is not on finance, that part of the residual calculation makes no odds to me

Did I have any issues selling her Boxster? None at all and still got just under 50% of the original optioned price for it 7 years later so I think the residual point is a non point

Do I miss 0.4 of second to 60 (as quoted above), nope!

For the colour she wanted, I also prefer the non colour coded look so all in all we are happy with our mundane S!
I was watching two days ago an episode of ITV 4 "on the road" I had recorded. They are still available on ITV Hub. In one episode they had a comparison of M2 Competition, an Alpine and 718 GTS ( 4cyl not 4 litres). At the end of the program, they are all asked which they would take home. Tiff Needell says the Porsche but not a GTS, but an S as for road use he prefers the ride and suspension set up.
Last edited by pmg on Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Ours was brilliant hence we kept it so long - longest we ever kept a car and wasn’t going to downgrade to 4 cylinder one !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
f4lse.4l4rm

Post by f4lse.4l4rm »

I heard from so many people that GTS is worth it. Well. now I want to buy it and see for myself)
jone66

Post by jone66 »

pmg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:42 pm
PaulR wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:57 pm
SmallWheels wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:42 pm Buy a GTS if….
….you value handling above comfort (Not me speaking, one of the weekly mags)
Not entirely convinced by this. My GTS with 20" wheels and air suspension rides like an absolute dream in comfort setting.

I test drove an S with 21" wheels and steel suspension and it was noticeably less comfortable. Of course an S with 20" wheels and air would be a different story.

My point is that, for comfort, your wheel size and choice of steel or air suspension is more important than your choice of S over GTS. The articles in the latest Autocar and AutoExpress magazines give the GTS a very good write-up for comfort. (Press cars used have 20" wheels and air.)
Agreed, but given same wheel size, and suspension (i.e air or not and s at least PASM) the GTS as less "spring" travel than S, hence compartivley stiffer and less "comfort" in the same setting. Unlike the recent GB press cars, the cars the mags drove at GTS launch some did not have air and comments were made about lack of travel inhibiting best ride quality. But then some on the forum do not like any air ride describing it has floaty. I suspect hey might have hard BMW with no tire wall previously. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Hi PaulR..Just finalising spec now on my GTS and I am really thinking about air suspension.
1) Have you any idea what reliability is like regarding the compressors?
2) I take it both sport modes really stiffen the ride up, after all it's standard spec in the states.

PTV a bit of a waste of money? I must admit I'm enjoying the process of putting a car together but information overload is definitely happening!!! :)
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I’ve got an S that I’ve had for 4 years from new, it’s been a great car. I’ve now ordered a GTS as a treat for my major birthday which is coming up and being as we’ve not spent anything on holidays for the last year the piggy bank was filling up nicely so needed to empty it before someone decided on house modifications!
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:00 pm I’ve got an S that I’ve had for 4 years from new, it’s been a great car. I’ve now ordered a GTS as a treat for my major birthday which is coming up and being as we’ve not spent anything on holidays for the last year the piggy bank was filling up nicely so needed to empty it before someone decided on house modifications!
🤣🤣🤣Great plan.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

jone66 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:01 pm Hi PaulR..Just finalising spec now on my GTS and I am really thinking about air suspension.
1) Have you any idea what reliability is like regarding the compressors?
2) I take it both sport modes really stiffen the ride up, after all it's standard spec in the states.

PTV a bit of a waste of money? I must admit I'm enjoying the process of putting a car together but information overload is definitely happening!!! :)
My last GTS never had air, and I've not had the current one long enough to comment on its reliability. Air was a wee treat I gave myself on the current car and it's been great so far.

Suspension stiffness is certainly different between normal, Sport and Sport Plus settings. With both air and 20" wheels, I would still describe them all as comfortable, even Sport Plus.

Note that with all settings (normal, Sport and Sport Plus) you can have the car at two different ride heights. (You can override any default heights.) This arguably means six different levels of handling/comfort - on the assumption that different ride heights impact handling/comfort.

I would only put PTV on a Macan if it was a 'money no object' specification! However, what's a waste of money to one person may not be to someone else.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS