S or GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

Looking for my third Macan since 2015 after two Diesels and trying to decide if it is worth going for a new GTS this time. I am attracted by the GTS being a little different to the many S's now on the road. Test drives are useful but i would value the thoughts of owners that have been through the same decision making.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Definitely the way to go. Ideally a Gen 2 GTS.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

No contest, GTS of what ever generation.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Never owned an S, never wanted a diesel 🤭 Quality of any of the models is standout compared to the competition. Owned a Turbo for four years and it was just great. Didn’t want another that looked the same so decided to try out a GTS, it is not as punchy as the Turbo, but better handling and the best sport/performance/appearance, plus space and comfort in a VFM equipped package that Porsche do. If it’s within your budget definitely give it a go.
Only note of caution, if coming out of a diesel just don’t sweat the small issue of MPG 😳. Use it before we lose it 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Spud

Post by Spud »

Had my first two S models in 2014, followed by a Diesel in 2016, all great cars, got my GTS in April 18 without doubt to me the best of the lot, I think you have to look at what you get on the GTS as standard as opposed to the S, I feel they keep their original value better, regarding the drive and handling, amazing , the problem is now I just won’t get rid of it such is the relationship I have with it, 25,000 miles never missed a beat, performance is excellent and more than adequate on our roads, if/when I change will definitely be for another GTS
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I had an SD for five years. My "last chance saloon" car is a 2020 GTS. The jump in performance and handling is amazing. If you can, go for the Gen 2 GTS. The engine is a downrated version of the new Turbo engine and is an absolute gem.

As Mike has said, there is a jump in fuel costs: five star unleaded versus (in my case) supermarket diesel and more of it. Still worth it though :D :D
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Paul

Post by Paul »

Another vote for the GTS.....best all-round car I have ever owned (well, apart from my current 992 Cab, which is nearly as practical.....😊)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

Thanks for all the comments which agree with a recent review of the new GTS. MPG is not an issue at 10K miles a year and it may be my last performance car . I will definitely go for a Gen 2 and get a test drive as soon as it is practical .
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

I had my first Macan a MY18 S for only one month before rejecting it due to an oil leak.
I ended up with a GTS same MY, the difference is unbelievable. From the quality of the interior finish, handling, sound and performance I am so glad I pushed (the wife) and went for the GTS, it's just so special and not as common. That said there is an identical car around the corner from me🤨
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

The discussion so far seems a bit GTS biased so here’s something to balance it.

I own an S. Didn’t test drive a GTS as a lightly optioned S was plenty enough for me and I’m very happy with the choice.

Buy a GTS if….
….you value handling above comfort (Not me speaking, one of the weekly mags)
….the options that you would choose on the S are standard on the GTS as this gives better long term resale value (bigger wheels, leather vs plastic in parts of the interior, black exterior trim). 20 inch wheels are at least £2500 extra on an S.
….you want the sporty look that comes with the lowered suspension. (From my point of view I can’t see the point of buying a car with high driving position with all the compromises that entails and then lowering it)

Buy an S if….
….comfort is important while still having great grip and handling
….you want a lower up front price. Comparing base prices the GTS is almost £10k more
….a 0-62mph time of 5.3 secs is good enough for you (GTS 4.9 secs)

Enjoy your decision making.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)