Brake Dust on Rear Wheels

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Does anyone else have an issue with brake dust? My rear wheels get a lot more brake dust that the front. And the rear offside gets about twice as much as the rear nearside. I'm convinced my rear pads, in particular the offside ones, are permanently touching the discs. I even get brake dust when I deliberately don't use the brakes e.g. use engine braking apart from the last wee bit when brakes are required.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

pmg

Post by pmg »

Does your car have Torque Vectoring fitted ( by mistake if not ordered )? That would be another logical explanation of one rear wheel having more brake dust than others. Else sticking calliper issue on one wheel.

My car produces the usual slight increase in brake dust on the front with no difference between sides
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Nope, fronts dirtier than rears. Something doesn't sound right Paul
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Deleted User 3895

Post by Deleted User 3895 »

Same as Madelvic. Fronts much more dusty than rears, and same amount either end of each axle.
You may have a seized piston in one of your rear calipers.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Something sounds not right there. If you want to give it a self test, you can if you're up for it. Jack one rear corner of the car up, just clear from the ground, and give the lifted wheel a spin, with your hand. You must chock the front wheels, and then release the hand brake, and put the gear selector in neutral. Not with the engine running. The wheel should rotate freely, with very little resistance. The first one to try would be the one with the most brake dust.
You may not feel a problem under normal braking, as most of the braking is done on the fronts.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Doesn’t seem right unless you are constantly honing around a lot of roundabouts at the limit and it is applying those brakes to ‘tuck it back in’
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Thanks for your help guys. Definitely weird to get loads more brake dust on rear wheels. I'll take it into the Porsche Dealer for them to look at. It was stuck in a dock March/April/May so maybe something's happened to the rear brakes. Handbrake staying on a little bit?
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS