Thoughts on This Used Macan Please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Read my threads if you want to upgrade the Halogens using LED bulbs. It can be done and no errors etc. Never going to be as good at the OEM Xenons or LEDS but a big improvement on the Halogens.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Another vote for the diesel. When I bought mine nearly two years ago, I test drove a 2 litre, a 3 litre petrol and the 3 litre diesel. I discounted the 2 litre as it was quite coarse and loud compared to the 3 litre petrol, but when I drove the 3 litre diesel I was sold. It just seems to be the right engine for a mid size SUV. I agree, if you want sporty, then the GTS fits the bill, but my SD with sports exhaust makes a good sound (for a diesel) and is plenty quick enough whilst doing between 30 and 44 mpg.

I was really lucky with mine as it had £24k of options paid for by the first owner, so I can comment on the extra as follows;

You need pano roof even if never used
Heated seats are a must - ventilated seats are impossible to find and not really needed
LED lights are fantastic and make the car look more modern
Full leather, including the dash, really turns the interior up a notch, I definitely wouldn’t do without
Memory seats are needed if you have more than one driver
Sports exhaust is perfect on the diesel, maybe not so on a 2 litre petrol. But it does give you quad pipes for looks
Air suspension is great with big wheels, but probably not required for 20” wheels or smaller
PASM is a must for me

I could go on, but there are so many different spec’s it’s mind boggling.

And don’t settle for a lesser car, I only paid a couple of grand more than your budget for my car with just 10k on the clock nearly two years ago. Just be patient and one will come up eventually. Set up alerts on autotrader and eBay etc and be prepared to act quickly. When mine came up for sale, I phoned the dealer within ten minutes and he had already received three calls and someone had made an appointment to look, I placed a deposit there and then on the phone and picked it up a couple of days later

Good luck
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I had an SD for five years and it was a fantastic car. But (and it's a big but) if your planned usage is mainly short journeys then these engines are known for Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) faults. There have been three cases on the forum (one of them being me) of problems with the AdBlue delivery system. By and large, the Audi diesel engine is rock solid but it needs to be used.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Preferably enthusiastically
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

DPF are not a issue if you service the car correctly, as during the service the condition of the filter can be checked and cleaned if need be.
Incept

Post by Incept »

We’ve had our second hand diesel Macan for two years now and it’s just over 4 years old.

As a measure of how good it is, we have a 4year PCP deal we’re just about to settle, as we intend to keep the car for a few years longer.

For me it’s the package that makes this variant such a brilliant option. It’s economical for a 2 ton SUV, it’s quick (I’d even say fast in the real world), an amazing GT car for long distance and just has the perfect combination of attributes for its intended purpose.

I’ve had all sorts of cars, ranging from most of BMWs M cars to a 911 and three Boxsters. But when I bought the Macan, I wasn’t buying a sports car; I was buying an SUV. In my opinion, it is perfectly engineered for the vehicle’s purpose. If I wanted a sports car, I’d buy a 911 or Cayman and not a Macan.

I know others here will disagree, but for me the SD is the sweet spot for the Macan and many journalists agreed when it was introduced.

As for the issues surrounding running the car over short distances, I don’t nip up to the local shops in it, but I haven’t deliberately saved it from short distances either. So far, I’ve not seen any particulate filter issues.

I think it’s a matter of common sense and I suspect that constant 2 mile journeys wouldn’t do a petrol engine much good either. I’m also careful which fuel brand I use too. Never supermarkets, but always regular Shell, BP or ESSO.

Something else I found interesting when considering the options before settling the finance, was the way values have been going between diesel vs petrol variants.

It looks like the gap between them may be closing, with values now seemingly almost level. Also, having monitored value changes over the last 6 months, I can confirm that the values offered for my car by we buy any car have not changed over that period!

Whatever’s going on, don’t discount a diesel Macan. For me it’s the best version of this brilliant car.
Paul

Post by Paul »

gasgas1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:45 am DPF are not a issue if you service the car correctly, as during the service the condition of the filter can be checked and cleaned if need be.
🤔
Are you sure a forced regeneration is part of the service regime?
The soot load can certainly be measured and the DPF “cleaned” but I suspect it would be “extra” and charged accordingly.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

gasgas1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:45 am DPF are not a issue if you service the car correctly
DPFs will clog long before a two year service if the driving conditions to keep it clean are not met, which many on here know can often be the case.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA