DIY upgrade ideas for a new Macan owner

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MacanSafari

Post by MacanSafari »

Hi all,

I've just bought myself an agate grey 2014 Porsche Macan S D (full spec below). It's not a fancy new Turbo, but it's my first ever car 15 years after passing my test as a spotty 17 year-old, so I'm not going to pretend I'm not incredibly excited! :D
It's going to be doing a lot of service as a road bike carrier so would be interested to know if anyone is able to fit bikes in the boot (with wheels removed but seats up) otherwise I'll be adding a bike mount to the upgrade list.

I'm also a massive tinkerer and can't help but apply my hand to this, so I'd love to hear anyone's ideas for interesting (and cheap) DIY upgrade ideas.
  • Swapping the bottom of the bumper for a 2016 look lip. I'm hoping this is all I need (https://bit.ly/38ISqof) but would be grateful if anyone had any instructions as I've not found any on forum searches. I also know it's a bit marmite so am happy to give away my old style one to anyone who wants to make a change the other way, if you're happy to cover the postage and packaging.
  • Replacing the stock pedals with something that looks more Porsche. I'm thinking of these: https://bit.ly/39y5wUj
  • Something to make that huge set of button blanks look better. 4 blanks on the right and 3 on the left. Any ideas??
  • A solution to store sunglasses
Car spec:
- Porsche Macan S D 2014 in agate grey with black leather interior
- 21" 911 Turbo design alloys
- Black aluminium roof rails with gloss black window surrounds
- PASM
- PCM and satnav
- BOSE sound system
- Panoramic sunroof
- Privacy glass
- Mobile phone preparation (anyone know if this means it supports Apple Car Play?)
- Trailer hitch preparation

Thanks all and very very excited to be joining the club!
Last edited by MacanSafari on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Not bad for a first car!

Sorry to say but I don't think you'll have CarPlay.

I have roof bars for bikes but I struggle with the height of the car (or the lack of my height). I'm sure a bike w/o front wheel will go in the back. A tow hitch is possibly a better solution if not, or if you want to carry more than one bike. Good to have roof rails. There is often roof bars for sale here.

Mods I've done to mine are:

Cobb Accessport for performance increase
A GPS tracker (one-off cost of £50 max)
A dash cam with custom mount
Wireless phone charging in the centre console (much on here in the electronics section)
Wireless CarPlay (dongle now in another car)
Speed camera warning on the Sat Nav (a guide in the electronics section too)

You could put these stickers on the blanks:-) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-Blank- ... 2998341885
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
MacanSafari

Post by MacanSafari »

Madelvic wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 pm Not bad for a first car!

Sorry to say but I don't think you'll have CarPlay.

I have roof bars for bikes but I struggle with the height of the car (or the lack of my height). I'm sure a bike w/o front wheel will go in the back. A tow hitch is possibly a better solution if not, or if you want to carry more than one bike. Good to have roof rails. There is often roof bars for sale here.

Mods I've done to mine are:

Cobb Accessport for performance increase
A GPS tracker (one-off cost of £50 max)
A dash cam with custom mount
Wireless phone charging in the centre console (much on here in the electronics section)
Wireless CarPlay (dongle now in another car)
Speed camera warning on the Sat Nav (a guide in the electronics section too)

You could put these stickers on the blanks:-) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-Blank- ... 2998341885
Hmm. Looks like some sort of car play solution will have to be added to the list then. Good shout on the GPS tracker and dashcam. Looks like I ought to spend some time in the electronics section then!

Thanks for the advice.
MacanSafari

Post by MacanSafari »

It also looks like the front bumper is going to be a much more involved DIY job than I planned https://www.macanforum.com/threads/sunc ... iy.172389/
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I put my bikes on a Porsche tow bar mounted carrier, I also have roof bars with bike mounts, but I need a step ladder. Putting them in the boot is not going to happen.

I have fitted front and rear dash cams, and speed limit warning. You could fit illuminated sill covers if you have deep pockets?

How about a nice set of winter wheels?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Also a serious biker, with above average size bikes. I've done a lot of transporting them around the EU. I take the wheels off, 5 secs, with QR skewers. Turn the front handlebar nearly 180 degs, and able to put it in the boot with seats up. I've also got roof bars, but have a car port, and that means trouble. lol.
MacanSafari

Post by MacanSafari »

TheTraveller wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 pm Also a serious biker, with above average size bikes. I've done a lot of transporting them around the EU. I take the wheels off, 5 secs, with QR skewers. Turn the front handlebar nearly 180 degs, and able to put it in the boot with seats up. I've also got roof bars, but have a car port, and that means trouble. lol.
That's great to hear! Thanks.
Caster

Post by Caster »

Following link to a post I did on "Extra Console Buttons" might be of interest MacanSafari:-

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4812

Good luck with your mods.

PS....failed latest MOT because tester said Traction Control didn't work - explained to him that button was a different one and he then gave it a pass!
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
peter7

Post by peter7 »

Nice car for a first car ... at least you waited a little while ..I’m sure you will enjoy it a lot . I looked for a long time before replacing 911 with n it turned out mine was the original Uk press car so it’s quite famous on old reviews ... but it’s very well loaded with lots of options . . any photos of yours ?
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars
Paul

Post by Paul »

Caster wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:43 am
PS....failed latest MOT because tester said Traction Control didn't work - explained to him that button was a different one and he then gave it a pass!
😂😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465