Sunroof or no sunroof?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I have specced the Race-Tex roof lining. If I have the sunroof, is the sliding cover also in Race-Tex or is the cover just the standard fabric?
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Today I've had my GTS exactly six months. Not the six months I planned when I ordered it! Anyhow for the first time I actually closed the sunroof blind. It turns out that it is not made from Alcantara or indeed the standard roof fabric. The material reminds me of the roll up parcel shelf from my Cayenne.

A difference from the blind in my SD. Once the close switch is pressed, the blind closes completely and it's the same when opening. On the SD it moved as long as the switch was held. Also because on the 2015 car you had to hold the key fob button for two seconds to fold the exterior mirror, the blind would partially close every time you locked the car. That annoying feature is not present with the 2020 car.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

On-Track wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:16 am Today I've had my GTS exactly six months. Not the six months I planned when I ordered it! Anyhow for the first time I actually closed the sunroof blind. It turns out that it is not made from Alcantara or indeed the standard roof fabric. The material reminds me of the roll up parcel shelf from my Cayenne.

A difference from the blind in my SD. Once the close switch is pressed, the blind closes completely and it's the same when opening. On the SD it moved as long as the switch was held. Also because on the 2015 car you had to hold the key fob button for two seconds to fold the exterior mirror, the blind would partially close every time you locked the car. That annoying feature is not present with the 2020 car.
Funny you say that

I was washing ours the other day and I had the key in my pocket stupidly so the locking system(key less) was going nuts anytime I went near it

When I eventually got in it the interior roof blind was fully closed which we never do so maybe the feature is still there.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:16 am

A difference from the blind in my SD. Once the close switch is pressed, the blind closes completely and it's the same when opening. On the SD it moved as long as the switch was held.
You can stop it closing or opening fully by just giving the switch a brief press at the point you wish it to stop.

Having said that, I prefer it as I either want it fully retracted or closed. 8-) :o
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ouzel

Post by ouzel »

I'm told the sunroof adds about 20 kg to the roof (probably the worst place to add mass). Would that produce noticeable change in the handling I wonder ?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

ouzel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm I'm told the sunroof adds about 20 kg to the roof (probably the worst place to add mass). Would that produce noticeable change in the handling I wonder ?
No.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Agree. It already weighs 2 tonnes. Another 20kg makes no noticeable difference
ouzel

Post by ouzel »

You are certainly right on the mass. But some handling (e.g. turning a corner) its a moment of inertia effect I think. Height of the roof squared multiplied by the mass. So the roof is the worst place for any mass.
But as you say, perhaps tit makes no noiceable difference.
froggyr32

Post by froggyr32 »

Sunroof is lovely, light,air and re sale value, no brainer.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

ouzel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm I'm told the sunroof adds about 20 kg to the roof (probably the worst place to add mass). Would that produce noticeable change in the handling I wonder ?
In a Macan I don't think it's something you should loose any sleep about! ;)
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160