Media/music questions.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

I’ve just put a provisional deposit on an MY17 Turbo and have a couple or queries.

I usually use a USB flash drive for my music but I gather the only USB port that you can use media is the one in the centre armrest and therefore wouldn’t also be able to plug in my iphone to use CarPlay for Waze etc. Can I therefore use one of the SD slots for my music?

Is there any difference in sound quality between using an SD card (if possible), USB flash drive and iphone via CarPlay (not Bluetooth), assuming the source quality is all the same?

In my X5 I can use playlists I’ve exported onto the USB drive in .m3u format from iTunes, will the PCM recognise these?

Any help would be appreciated.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I play music off 2 x 128GB SD cards. I've organised them into folders eg A to E for artists starting with the appropriate letter
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Madelvic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:14 pm I play music off 2 x 128GB SD cards. I've organised them into folders eg A to E for artists starting with the appropriate letter
Thanks. What’s the sound quality like from SD? I have folders set up like that too, but then also have playlists.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Can you not just upload the contents of your USB into the on board hard disc?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

snerkler wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:49 pm
Madelvic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:14 pm I play music off 2 x 128GB SD cards. I've organised them into folders eg A to E for artists starting with the appropriate letter
Thanks. What’s the sound quality like from SD? I have folders set up like that too, but then also have playlists.
Sound quality is good. You might not be aware but there is a phone ap called 'Good to know' that has the handbook within it. A good reference point in terms of what you can do.
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
adam b

Post by adam b »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:39 am Can you not just upload the contents of your USB into the on board hard disc?
that was my immediate reaction - copy it to the jukebox
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Thanks for the replies guys (sorry I don't know how to multiquote on this forum). I didn't realise that the Macan/PCM had a hard drive, that's good to know.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

I think if you upload to the onboard hard drive, known as Jukebox" it reduces the quality to a compressed mp3. It's only 10GB so not a lot of room either.

I too use a 128GB SD card and my music is sampled in FLAC format. Sounds very good and I don't have Bose.

If you don't have CARPLAY you may be able to get it retrofitted, I just did. You can also buy a wireless adapter too. To be honest the FLAC tracks on the SD card sound better to me.
Last edited by Ti Rich on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I never used the jukebox on mine - seemed abut if a faff....

Just drag and drop your i-tunes backup folder off your PC onto an SD card; all the albums are retained in order and complete with the artwork!
When you update your i-tunes just copy over the SD card.
Works fine on my 992 PCM4 too.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Ti Rich wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm I think if you upload to the onboard hard drive, known as Jukebox" it reduces the quality to a compressed mp3. It's only 10GB so not a lot of room either.

I too use a 128GB SD card and my music is sampled in FLAC format. Sounds very good and I don't have Bose.

If you don't have CARPLAY you may be able to get it retrofitted. You can also buy a wireless adapter too. To be honest the FLAC tracks on the SD card sound better to me.
Thanks for the reply. It does have CarPlay which I was considering using for Waze, but I do prefer to have the music source connected permanently so if the SD card works then that's fine for me :D