Turbo v Gts

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I haven't, but given the GTS rides lower than the Turbo even on air, I'd expect them to feel slightly different but not by much.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

froggyr32 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm Test drove a 2020 turbo, and got a 2020 Gts,floored both the turbo seemed no quicker?seems the Gts to me as quick.
It's not but all that matters is that it feels OK to you. They're both fast enough for UK roads, for sure.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
RGS

Post by RGS »

Owning a 2nd gen Turbo I'm always interested in reading or watching road tests on it, but the performance figures vary widely. They go from Andy Pilgrim (Pro - Racer) who recorded 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds on a race track and a 12.17 second Quarter mile plus a very exciting video on YouTube, to CarWow who recorded 0-60MPH in 4.1 seconds. There are plenty of others with figures between those two, but all well below Porsche's own claimed timings. I've not been able to do something similar with the GTS, but I'm sure there must have been tests somewhere. Incidentally I've noticed that supply and demand has done wonders for residuals, the few used 2nd gen Turbo's and GTS available on OPC websites are all advertised at near brand new prices even with a few thousand miles on the clock. My previous Mercedes AMG depreciated half its retail price (over £30,000) in less than two years, a warning for anyone buying a Mercedes nowadays.
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

RGS wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:05 pm Owning a 2nd gen Turbo I'm always interested in reading or watching road tests on it, but the performance figures vary widely. They go from Andy Pilgrim (Pro - Racer) who recorded 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds on a race track and a 12.17 second Quarter mile plus a very exciting video on YouTube, to CarWow who recorded 0-60MPH in 4.1 seconds. There are plenty of others with figures between those two, but all well below Porsche's own claimed timings. I've not been able to do something similar with the GTS, but I'm sure there must have been tests somewhere. Incidentally I've noticed that supply and demand has done wonders for residuals, the few used 2nd gen Turbo's and GTS available on OPC websites are all advertised at near brand new prices even with a few thousand miles on the clock. My previous Mercedes AMG depreciated half its retail price (over £30,000) in less than two years, a warning for anyone buying a Mercedes nowadays.
Mototrend measured the GTS at 3.9 secs.

16EBCBBD-8F3C-45FF-BCBF-1E0C11FA3EE7.png

Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback
Anothertoy

Post by Anothertoy »

US and UK 0-60 tests may vary due to petrol differences in the countries. It used to be that US petrol doesn’t have as high RON. I knew this affected the e46 m3 engines that were made for the US market vs those for Europe and the UK.
My original question was more about suspension stiffness between the GTS and turbo when fitted with air pasm.
My observation of my gen 1 turbo in sport plus is that while it is stiff, it is by no means as stiff as my 997 and wondered if the macan GTS was stiffer or the same as the turbo.
Incidentally at speed, my 997 feels lighter than the macan turbo and I wonder if that has to do with hydraulic vs electric power steering.
(Current) 2018 Macan Turbo
(Current) 2010 997.2 C2S manual
(Prev) 2005 987 Boxster S
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Part of the confusion here is that the US still uses 0-60mph (as do some UK mags) and Europe uses 0-62mph (0-100km/h) - that extra 2 miles an hour makes a huge difference.

Countless times I've seen a GTS 0-60 time compared with a Turbo 0-62 time. A comparable 0-62 time is 4.2 secs for the GTS and 3.9 secs for the Turbo. The gap is wider still if you're comparing Gen 1 models.

Some good comparisons here -> https://zeperfs.com/duel8600-8489.htm

From a standing start race over 400 metres, the Gen 2 Turbo will end up crossing the line some 20+ metres ahead of the GTS.
---

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Anothertoy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 pm My observation of my gen 1 turbo in sport plus is that while it is stiff, it is by no means as stiff as my 997 and wondered if the macan GTS was stiffer or the same as the turbo.
Incidentally at speed, my 997 feels lighter than the macan turbo and I wonder if that has to do with hydraulic vs electric power steering.
I've got a Turbo PP (GTS suspension) with air. On the lower setting with PASM in Sport Plus it's pretty firm but with such a high centre of gravity some body roll is inevitable - it's not a sports car.

If the Macan was too firm, there would undoubtedly be a risk of it cocking a leg on tight turns and lifting a wheel in the air. It simply can't be as firm as a lower car.

I really wanted a 911 but we basically ended up with a Macan Turbo S. It's no sports car but meets all of our needs better. The 911 may have better handling and better performance (depending on model) but the Macan gives better forward visibility, especially in traffic, and I can see over low hedges approaching junctions and roundabouts. In a lower car I had to brake and slow down unnecessarily more often, as I simply couldn't see. So I reckon I can cover ground quicker in the Macan, even though it's family friendly with a good luggage capacity. I'd still love a 911, I just have no idea when I would drive it.
---

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

jaffacake wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:42 am
Anothertoy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 pm My observation of my gen 1 turbo in sport plus is that while it is stiff, it is by no means as stiff as my 997 and wondered if the macan GTS was stiffer or the same as the turbo.
I've got a Turbo PP (GTS suspension) with air. On the lower setting with PASM in Sport Plus it's pretty firm but with such a high centre of gravity some body roll is inevitable - it's not a sports car.

If the Macan was too firm, there would undoubtedly be a risk of it cocking a leg on tight turns and lifting a wheel in the air. It simply can't be as firm as a lower car.

I really wanted a 911 but we basically ended up with a Macan Turbo S. It's no sports car but meets all of our needs better. The 911 may have better handling and better performance (depending on model) but the Macan gives better forward visibility, especially in traffic, and I can see over low hedges approaching junctions and roundabouts. In a lower car I had to brake and slow down unnecessarily more often, as I simply couldn't see. So I reckon I can cover ground quicker in the Macan, even though it's family friendly with a good luggage capacity. I'd still love a 911, I just have no idea when I would drive it.
There's a Macan "Gen2" owner on PCGB who took his turbo around a race track and has pictures of 1 wheel off the ground.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Rarecolour wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:29 am
jaffacake wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:42 am

There's a Macan "Gen2" owner on PCGB who took his turbo around a race track and has pictures of 1 wheel off the ground.
No doubt it's possible, can do it on a 911 - just watch the Porsche Cup! But on normal roads and speeds, highly unlikely.
---

Anothertoy

Post by Anothertoy »

Another observation is that the brakes could be slightly less servoed.
(Current) 2018 Macan Turbo
(Current) 2010 997.2 C2S manual
(Prev) 2005 987 Boxster S