Attempted Macan theft?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

JBA wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:55 pm Hi all,
A very odd experence tonight.

I pressed my key fob to unlock my GTS but there was no response. Thinking that the key fob was faulty, I tried the spare but was still unable to unlock.

Although the car hasn't been used for a week, I believe the battery should be fine and able to at least power the unlocking process.

I've called Porsche assistance who are sending someone to help. However I am now thinking that a thief attempted to "hack" into the car at some point but only succeeded in malfunctioning the locking and alarm system. For once, the
car was parked on the road not the drive so the fobs would have been out of range

Any thoughts?
Did you manage to get into the car? Was the battery low? My Boxster does this all the time if left for a week or more. Believe the car closes down functions to protect the battery
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

How old is the car? Batteries really only last around 3 years unless you use a conditioner, and this cold snap won't help it either.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Battery low, systems shut down. Lift door handle on drivers side to wake it up, then use fob as normal
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

Rarecolour wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:05 am How old is the car? Batteries really only last around 3 years unless you use a conditioner, and this cold snap won't help it either.
The battery in one of my other cars (garage kept, not a Porsche) has typically lasted 9-10 years before needing replacement. Car now 21 years old and on its third battery (second replacement) since new.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

SmallWheels wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:21 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:05 am How old is the car? Batteries really only last around 3 years unless you use a conditioner, and this cold snap won't help it either.
The battery in one of my other cars (garage kept, not a Porsche) has typically lasted 9-10 years before needing replacement. Car now 21 years old and on its third battery (second replacement) since new.
Guess being that old there's not many electronics on it. New cars have ecu's slowly draining all the time.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
JBA

Post by JBA »

Hi all,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I just posted a more detailed update but for some reason it didn't publish.

Anyway the issue was caused by tbe remote fobs being out of contact with the car for a significant period (in my case just a week!). Apparently it's because of Porsche's KESI system or something like that. To resolve it just use the manual key to get in the var then start it using the fob.
Also flat or faulty battery can also be a cause and that can happen in cold weather with no use for a week.

Thanks and hope this helps all.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Best case scenario for you. Glad it was an easy fix.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Guy

Post by Guy »

KESSY = KeyLess Entry. Didn't think that you had that? Explanation sounds a bit strange, especially based upon just one week without contact. Battery problems sound much more likely.
JBA

Post by JBA »

Guy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:30 pm KESSY = KeyLess Entry. Didn't think that you had that? Explanation sounds a bit strange, especially based upon just one week without contact. Battery problems sound much more likely.
Thanks for pointing this out and explaining Kessy. You are right I don't have keyless entry so if that was the explanation given to me for the fobs not working then I'm non the wiser now . (Unless the standard fobs also have some sort of constant contact.)
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

JBA wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:47 pm
Guy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:30 pm KESSY = KeyLess Entry. Didn't think that you had that? Explanation sounds a bit strange, especially based upon just one week without contact. Battery problems sound much more likely.
Thanks for pointing this out and explaining Kessy. You are right I don't have keyless entry so if that was the explanation given to me for the fobs not working then I'm non the wiser now . (Unless the standard fobs also have some sort of constant contact.)
As I said before, no they don't. The standard fob only sends a signal when the button is pressed. The current keyless fobs switch themselves off when at rest in order to prevent relay attacks.

I think you are back to this problem being a battery issue, due both to cold weather and probably reduced charge from lack of use. If you don't have a CTEK charger then perhaps it's time to get one!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA