Key fobs not working

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JBA

Post by JBA »

Hi all, I posted about 3 weeks ago ( title thread:"Attempted Macan theft") to report that my key fobs had mysteriously stopped working.

At the time Porsche emergency assistance (AA) helped me get into the car using the manual key immediately after which the fob started working.

AA man said the issue was not due to a flat battery because engine started easily and therefore battery perfect. Thinks it was due to some sort of temporary signal failure between fob and car because the car had been unused for 5 days or so and parked down the road. Pointed out by one forum member that car does not have keyless KESS so was puzzled by this as an explanation. However I assumed all good now.

Unfortunately and very surprisingly, the fobs stopped working again today.

Car was last driven properly only a 2-3 days ago. Managed to use manual key to get in and, as before, the fobs then sparked back to life . Started the engine no problem so battery seems fine and unaffected by cold weather.

Very frustrating.

Car is due for its 4 year service very shortly but I think this issue demands an under warranty investigation as well.

Thoughts?
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024

Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

Hi, not sure if this will help or not but on my 987 cayman when it’s not used it goes to ‘sleep’ so it would appear the key fob doesn’t work. You then need to lift the door handle once which brings everything back to life. This normally takes about a week to go into sleep mode but worth a try.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Just because the engine starts does not necessarily mean the battery's fine. As battery voltage drops, the battery protection system steadily cuts in, disabling more and more functions. This is all to ensure that there is enough energy left to start the car.

The fact that the key fobs come to life once you've entered the car implies (to me anyway) that the fobs are OK and the issue is with the car. You say your car is parked "down the road" which means that putting it on charge may not be an easy option. If you can, start the car and take it for a run of at least one hour. That should ensure you give the battery a really good boost.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

See this very recent thread. Same issue, a member with same thought not the battery, but charging battery seems to have solved the issue.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10565
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
JBA

Post by JBA »

Hi all, thanks.
I just posted back on the recent thread poinred out above. For some reason it didn't publish there.
Anyway checked the battery through the driver display and it indicates 12.7 to 13 volts when starting the engine and thereafter maintains at around 14.4 volts. So battery seems ok according to the feedback from the linked thread above.

Not sure what the issue could be so will ask OPC to investigate under warranty and imminent 4 year service.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I have left the vehicle for months at a time, with the battery conditioner fitted. And come back to it, pressed the fob and all was fine every time. I'll add that it's not got keyless entry.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

JBA wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:21 pm Hi all, thanks.
I just posted back on the recent thread poinred out above. For some reason it didn't publish there.
Anyway checked the battery through the driver display and it indicates 12.7 to 13 volts when starting the engine and thereafter maintains at around 14.4 volts. So battery seems ok according to the feedback from the linked thread above.

Not sure what the issue could be so will ask OPC to investigate under warranty and imminent 4 year service.
After starting, I expect your car's engine is at "tickover" so 12.7 to 13V is about right regardless of the state of the battery. If the voltage fluctuates between 14.4 and 13.7 while driving then the battery is indeed fully charged. If it remains at 14.4 then the alternator is charging the battery.
Peter

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 pm I have left the vehicle for months at a time, with the battery conditioner fitted. And come back to it, pressed the fob and all was fine every time. I'll add that it's not got keyless entry.
Key words in your post "with the battery conditioner fitted".
Peter

JBA

Post by JBA »

On-Track wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 am
JBA wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:21 pm Hi all, thanks.

After starting, I expect your car's engine is at "tickover" so 12.7 to 13V is about right regardless of the state of the battery. If the voltage fluctuates between 14.4 and 13.7 while driving then the battery is indeed fully charged. If it remains at 14.4 then the alternator is charging the battery.
Thank you so much (and everyone else) who's given some insights on this. Car is being booked for service and I have asked OPC to investigate so will update in due course.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

On-Track wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:19 am
TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 pm I have left the vehicle for months at a time, with the battery conditioner fitted. And come back to it, pressed the fob and all was fine every time. I'll add that it's not got keyless entry.
Key words in your post "with the battery conditioner fitted".
The inference in the message, was I don't think it's a battery fault. More possibly a problem with the telematics, either the fob ( sender/transmitter), or the vehicle ( receiver).